Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oil pressure light came on yesterday, and I took my car in. The indicator said I had 35% left, but the tech said I'd burned through 4 quarts (of six).

The only mod I have done was to swap out my air intake filter. Otherwise, I always run it with 93 octane.

7K miles, drive it regularly, not lead-footed. I'd checked the oil a couple of times and couldn't tell that it was low.

I got the call today from the dealer that Ford looked at the codes from the computer, and said I need a new engine -- they also said that there might be other work associated with the fix if there was metal that got from the engine into other parts of the car.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm surprised that ford would go so quickly to replacing the engine. The car was driving just fine before the incident.

·
Registered
278 Posts
RJA29, Sorry to hear of your problems, hope everything works out alright for ya..

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RJA29, Sorry to hear of your problems, hope everything works out alright for ya..
Thanks! I'm going to keep the forum updated - I will try to get the error codes from Ford and get as much additional information as possible for everyone here. I'm just amazed that Ford is *so* quickly replacing the engine. No drive it for a while and see what happens. But a total engine replacement - they must be onto something with oil levels and builds during the summer of 2016. A new engine isn't cheap, but they must figure fixing this is worth the cost of destroying the rest of the car or personal injury.

·
Registered
206 Posts
There was a bad batch of heads from the summer of 2016 for all 2.7 engines that resulted in substantial oil consumption. If your level got too low, I can see issues with bearings and a lot of other surfaces which would make the engine swap a good choice

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Im going through the cylinder head replacement as we speak as soon as they come in to the dealership. I know I lost over a quart in a 4 day period so it can burn through the oil fast.
Just be glad they are replacing it and that they didn't question you on it being low on oil.

·
Registered
402 Posts
7K miles, drive it regularly, not lead-footed.
That might be your problem. My build is in the summer and I have had zero issues. My use of the accelerator has been a bit "binary" (WOT/0).

Maybe the car wants to be driven hard.

·
Registered
206 Posts
If there's any sort of auxiliary oil cooler, I could see that needing to be replaced or thoroughly flushed if it ended up contaminated. But that's about the only thing that comes to mind. Now I'm curious what they meant, too.

Also, FYI, the oil life monitor is just a calculation that computer does based on how you drive and guesstimates the appropriate oil change interval. It doesn't do anything to track the quantity or actual quality of the oil.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How would metal from the engine get to "other parts of the car"?
The tech indicated that they would do an oil analysis, and if there was metal in the oil, they'd look at the turbo as an extra-thorough step.

Nonetheless, Ford is going to have my engine shipped back to them as is, without any work done on it by the local dealership. Dealer will put in the new engine - hopefully this takes care of the issue, and I don't have the April-Oct engine build problem ever again!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Mine's been driven hard from day one (and put on a dyno after the first month or so at WOT), and no issues that I'm aware of. I'll check my dipstick once or twice over the next couple weeks, but I changed the oil early and haven't had an issue since (few thousand miles later).

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
wow, sry to hear your luck but its a bonus you're getting it fixed

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine is also in the shop getting a new engine. it had only 4700 miles but started smoking bad. First the dead battery and now this. I wonder what is next.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mine was built in September and I have not had any issues yet! But then again I haven't checked the oil level in a few weeks lol maybe I should check again today. I only have 3000 miles on it but I tend to play with the car hard every now and then since 1200 miles. I'm loving my first Ford vehicle!

But I hope all goes well with getting a new engine and I hope for a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine is also in the shop getting a new engine. it had only 4700 miles but started smoking bad. First the dead battery and now this. I wonder what is next.
Let the dealer know there is a TSB on the engine, and a special service bulletin for the Fusion Sport itself. This issue affects a lot of engines - if FoMoCo is willing to swap mine so quickly, you might be able to get a full replacement, and be done with it!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Many here know that mine had to have the engine replaced as well at about 3k miles. Ironically, I am bringing it back to the dealer TODAY under Michigan's Lemon Law. In fact, I leave in 30 minutes. I have had the car for the last 3-4 weeks as the paperwork made it's way through Ford's process and I can honestly say that it has been a dream to drive. Fast when it needs to be fast and smooth when I want to be smooth. If only it had been that way all along......

Good news? Picking up the Edge Sport when I drop off the Fusion. I hope my luck is better on the Edge. We had one as a loaner for a month and grew to love it.

I will let you all know how it works out.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Many here know that mine had to have the engine replaced as well at about 3k miles. Ironically, I am bringing it back to the dealer TODAY under Michigan's Lemon Law. In fact, I leave in 30 minutes. I have had the car for the last 3-4 weeks as the paperwork made it's way through Ford's process and I can honestly say that it has been a dream to drive. Fast when it needs to be fast and smooth when I want to be smooth. If only it had been that way all along......

Good news? Picking up the Edge Sport when I drop off the Fusion. I hope my luck is better on the Edge. We had one as a loaner for a month and grew to love it.

I will let you all know how it works out.
aloyouis - Did you decide to swap the car out because the Edge Sport was more appealing, or were there other issues as well? What's the thread you have that references this? Thanks!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
aloyouis - Never mind, I found the post. Seems like you went through quite a bit! I do wonder about the warranty extension. I was considering buying one, and and even more likely to do so now.

Is it common practice for a dealer or for Ford to extend the warranty after a big issue like this?

·
Registered
92 Posts
aloyouis - Never mind, I found the post. Seems like you went through quite a bit! I do wonder about the warranty extension. I was considering buying one, and and even more likely to do so now.

Is it common practice for a dealer or for Ford to extend the warranty after a big issue like this?
We chose to go with the Edge Sport because it gives me 80-90% of the performance I want and 80-90% of the room my wife wants. We started the Ford journey with an Audi Wagon and a Chrysler T&C. We bought the Fusion and planned on selling the Audi but the Fusion had problems (dead batteries) within a few days of buying it. As a result, I was never able to sell the Audi. The buy back offer combined with driving the Edge for so long caused us to re-think our strategy. After giving back the Fusion today we traded the T&C in on the Edge. We bought a 2016 (brand new) Edge Sport with X-plan and 7K in rebates. It had 55 miles on it.

Now we have the Audi wagon and the Edge Sport. Probably a better fit as we have child #2 joining his brother at college later this year. College hockey and lacrosse for him will no longer require us to drive him as they provide the transportation.

WRT your question about dealers extending a warranty, no way. Ford may if you have big issues.

Let none of this keep you from buying a Fusion Sport. The car is amazing when right.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You guys are worrying me. My build date is July 13, 2016. I've had it since Feb. 10 with 2,200 miles so far. I've not had any issues.

I wonder if there is a way to identify the "bad batch" of engines?

·
Registered
24 Posts
You guys are worrying me. My build date is July 13, 2016. I've had it since Feb. 10 with 2,200 miles so far. I've not had any issues.

I wonder if there is a way to identify the "bad batch" of engines?

If I recall, my build date is 7/16/16. Took delivery in October, have almost 6k miles. No problems. Don't overworry. Trust but verify. I would recommend checking the oil every 2 weeks or so. Don't let it get 4 quarts low. I did the first oil change myself at 4k and made a good inspection under the car to make sure there were no leaks (nor PTU leaks).

1 - 20 of 40 Posts