Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,338 Posts
The IPC is not connected to most modules in the vehicle, tho. I also mentioned the fact about using "Ford OE parts" for peace of mind to Engineer, not to say Ford will allow it.

If it looks factory, which the MKZ cluster does, a tech 98% of the time will have no clue you changed the IPC unless they specifically look for the 401A cluster. Which they won't if you don't complain about something with the IPC. I have a 2014 Edge Sport with SYNC 3 v3.4 (previously SYNC 3 v3.0 since 2018), techs don't even know it's not supposed to be like that. Ford engineers very rarely look at customer cars, if they did, you can swap your factory IPC back and they won't notice. It's not like an ECU tune that keeps logs.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi Engineer. I have a 2018 MKZ and that reflection is not there. It is probably just a reflection from the camera angle. I don't think it would be there in normal viewing if you install it. However, I would certainly advise against going at anything on your dash with a dremel. Didn't you learn your lesson with the visor? ;)

And just to clarify something: If you replace your factory IPC, Ford can/will deny any warranty claims that can be connected to the IPC, even if only tangentially. Installing it does not "void" the warranty. A voided warranty is what happens with salvage titles etc. A voided warranty means there is no more warranty. Nothing will be covered at all.
However, when we modify our cars with non-factory parts (even an IPC from another model like the MKZ), any future problems that can be even remotely connected to the IPC replacement would be fair game for Ford to deny a warranty claim. And in our cars, almost everything, including electronics, electrical, audio, climate control, SYNC, etc is connected through the IPC.

Also, Ford (and no automaker) has to prove our modificaiton caused the problem in order to deny a warranty claim. The short story is: If an automaker wants to deny a warranty claim, they can/will deny it and we can not stop them. Then we would have to take Ford to arbitration or court to argue our case. Yes, they will have to provide proof/evidence there, but keep in mind their pockets are much deeper than ours. And the Warranty Guides, which we were given when we purchased our vehicles, clearly states that our cars are warrantied by Ford as sold to us from the factory. So that means any modifications can be a problem. Not will be a problem, but can be a problem. So just keep the possibilities in mind when you perform modifications.

As always, not telling anyone what to do with their own cars, just providing the cautionary information. I tend to err on the side of caution. ;)

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Thank you @bbf2530 , as usual another very detailed and informative post from someone who (like a few others on here) I get the impression has good inside perspective on these things. Thank you very much for all of your thoughts on this, and so many other things as well that you've answered by the way.

My interest in this is really limited to investigating the possibility of obtaining the IPC to keep on hand for later installation post-drivetrain-warranty-period. In other words, I have zero intention of doing anything to my car, at this point, that would impact any warranty in any way, until the warranty period is completely expired (not just the full warranty, but the drivetrain warranty as well). This is my daily driver. I went out of my way to buy a fully-equipped trim, the highest specimen available (short of going to an MKZ, which at the time was just out of my reach), specifically so I wouldn't have to alter anything. So I won't be installing anything until after the warranty is fully up.

However, I do really like the Lincoln dash. So if it's possible to just buy the IPC and have it on hand in a box and hang onto it until my warranty is up, I might consider that. I'm not sure it's worth it though. I'm also not sure it's practical, since the IPC has to be programmed for the mileage and I wouldn't have any way to do that without the software to do that, which I don't really have a reason to buy that software since I wouldn't have any use for it other than this. But I can't ask for it to be programmed in advance if I do that since I don't know what mileage I'll have when my warranty expires, exactly.

I'm actually, at this point, thinking I'm better off just enjoying the 401a I've got (it is an upgrade after all) and next time around, when I finally do get a new car way down the road, consider a Lincoln (assuming they're actually making anything I want to drive by that point). The FFS has spoiled me a little, and I think anything short of a Lincoln is going to have a hard time living up to this car anyway. I just hope they actually make what I want at that point. Anyhow my interest was triggered by the realization that if I ever want the option of putting that IPC in down the road, I might have to buy it now, just to have it on hand. There's no telling whether that option would be available to me later if I waited. But I'm not convinced it's really sensible to do that, given all the downsides.

Still, I'm glad I asked the question about the lines. Half the reason I asked the question was just to clarify it for people who might be interested in doing this. Sometimes I'll ask questions that aren't really for me, specifically, just because I see something that needs answered, perhaps for others even. So thank you to both of you for explaining how the trim reflections were affecting the picture. It doesn't sound like that, at least, would be a problem at all.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The reflection is from the oem Ford trim, MKZ is different see previous post #19

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Also, Ford (and no automaker) has to prove our modificaiton caused the problem in order to deny a warranty claim. The short story is: If an automaker wants to deny a warranty claim, they can/will deny it and we can not stop them. Then we would have to take Ford to arbitration or court to argue our case. Yes, they will have to provide proof/evidence there, but keep in mind their pockets are much deeper than ours. And the Warranty Guides, which we were given when we purchased our vehicles, clearly states that our cars are warrantied by Ford as sold to us from the factory. So that means any modifications can be a problem. Not will be a problem, but can be a problem. So just keep the possibilities in mind when you perform modifications.
Or even worse. They can just not repair your car correctly (or at all). I've had enough trouble just getting either acknowledgement of the problem, or a correct repair when they AGREE to fix it. Can't imagine if they really didn't want to do it on top of all that (at least with Jersey dealers).

·
Registered
312 Posts
Or even worse. They can just not repair your car correctly (or at all). I've had enough trouble just getting either acknowledgement of the problem, or a correct repair when they AGREE to fix it. Can't imagine if they really didn't want to do it on top of all that (at least with Jersey dealers).
There's no question that some dealers are much better than others. I've had dealers flat refuse to service my car because I bought it from a different dealer, even. They're not supposed to do that, but it happens. And it hurts Ford's reputation because the customer doesn't care about those distinctions, they just see "Ford".

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
There's no question that some dealers are much better than others. I've had dealers flat refuse to service my car because I bought it from a different dealer, even. They're not supposed to do that, but it happens. And it hurts Ford's reputation because the customer doesn't care about those distinctions, they just see "Ford".
Never had that, but I've had so much damage done to my car at certain dealers, maybe they were trying to send me that message

·
Registered
312 Posts
One other question on this, I saw something the other day (must have been in another thread but I can't find it now) that everything in the kit comes ready but you still have to program the mileage to be correct. I don't mind doing that as long as I can do it with Forscan but I don't have the Ford software. Those of you who've done this, is Forscan all you need for this? If so then my original plan of buying it and hanging on until my warranty is up would work. Or even putting it in and running it, as long as I save my original IPC. Because I don't mind using Forscan, I just don't have any of the Ford dealer software.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
You can do it with Forscan. Easy and Robert can walk you right through it if you want

21 - 28 of 28 Posts