Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
@Sleeper6 What year is yours? I know only the 17s have worked for the CCD stuff so far, but with changing the IPC and making it a Lincoln IPC, I'm wondering if that would allow me to enable that on my 2018. If you have a 2018 (or even a 2019) that will give me a lot of hope.

I still haven't pulled the trigger on it but I'm strongly considering it. Does anyone know if there are any implications as far as the value of the car, since the odometer is in the IPC? That's the one thing that gives me some pause. I love the Lincoln IPC, and I absolutely agree that's how it should have shipped from factory. But the odometer being in there, and any possible implications with that in regard to the value of the car (plus obviously the warranty situation) make me a little reluctant. Any insights there?

Thanks for showing us though, that's beautiful! Was it really like 15 minutes to put it in?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My car is 2017, think production date 3/17. No idea a lot of the details, but literally plug and play. He needed my vin number to set it up. Yeah maybe 15 min, pop off some panels and r&r 6 6mm bolts and one plug.

I am past 36 month/x1000 mike warranty period

I would suggest reaching out to Robert Ingle on FB.

·
Registered
404 Posts
@Sleeper6 What year is yours? I know only the 17s have worked for the CCD stuff so far, but with changing the IPC and making it a Lincoln IPC, I'm wondering if that would allow me to enable that on my 2018. If you have a 2018 (or even a 2019) that will give me a lot of hope.

I still haven't pulled the trigger on it but I'm strongly considering it. Does anyone know if there are any implications as far as the value of the car, since the odometer is in the IPC? That's the one thing that gives me some pause. I love the Lincoln IPC, and I absolutely agree that's how it should have shipped from factory. But the odometer being in there, and any possible implications with that in regard to the value of the car (plus obviously the warranty situation) make me a little reluctant. Any insights there?

Thanks for showing us though, that's beautiful! Was it really like 15 minutes to put it in?
Hi Engineer. Will not affect resale value either way, as long as it is working when you sell it. Keep in mind that by law, you must program the odometer to show the same mileage as the old IPC/odometer.

However, it will affect your New Car Bumper to Bumper Warranty. If you should ever have any issues that are part of, related to, or connected in any way to the modification, Ford can/will deny the warranty claim for that issue. That can wind up meaning issues with the IPC, electronics, electrical, SYNC, Audio, Climate Control etc.

Not sure how much time/mileage you have left on your New Car Warranty, but I would recommend not doing it until after it has expired.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
309 Posts
Not sure how much time/mileage you have left on your New Car Warranty, but I would recommend not doing it until after it has expired.
Thanks @bbf2530 ! Yeah I think maybe for now I'll stick with my 401a cluster. I have a long way to go on the warranty just yet. Maybe down the road I'll consider it more, but not right at the moment. Actually it's just another thing that makes me think if Lincoln is making good luxury sport sedans when I finally replace my FFS, I'd probably join the Lincoln camp at that point. But we'll see how that pans out, in time, I guess. I really do think if they did, though, my next car would likely be a Lincoln (but not for a number of years yet because I'm very happy with my Sport at this point).

·
Registered
416 Posts
Thanks @bbf2530 ! Yeah I think maybe for now I'll stick with my 401a cluster. I have a long way to go on the warranty just yet. Maybe down the road I'll consider it more, but not right at the moment. Actually it's just another thing that makes me think if Lincoln is making good luxury sport sedans when I finally replace my FFS, I'd probably join the Lincoln camp at that point. But we'll see how that pans out, in time, I guess. I really do think if they did, though, my next car would likely be a Lincoln (but not for a number of years yet because I'm very happy with my Sport at this point).
Never cared for the Lincoln styling on their Fusion equivalent. Personal thing. We are apparently doomed to drive SUV,s in the future so I’ll be hanging on the the Sport for awhile.

·
Registered
309 Posts
And another thing on that Audi. I'm already seeing discussion of how it has hesitation on launch. Not sure why exactly but there's something that makes it hesitate. Torque management, turbo lag, something. Oh well. I'd rather have a V6 anyway. My criteria when I was looking for a car included a V6. It will next time too unless that's just not an option, because I find them so much smoother, and they feel like they're not straining the way a 4 cylinder does.

I'm really happy with my FFS. I'm not a Ford fan boy. I don't agree with them on plenty of things. Their decision to kill sedans seems flat stupid to me. But I think they do a great job in way more areas than they get credit, and they really did a great job with the FFS in particular.

·
Registered
612 Posts
When you have the gas pedal and brake both depressed, the ECU will cut engine power after like 2-3 seconds to prevent any driveline damage.
I was experimenting at the drag strip on the launch, I found when the light start to drop I would press the gas pedal to the floor, it would give me just
enough time when the light turns green to release the brake without the ECU cutting power and getting that huge hesitation.
Was good for low 1.8 60' times and I found it takes longer for the ECU to restore power when power braking than using this method.
I would love to bracket race this car but I don't think I could get very good reaction times, (or I would redlight too much).
Almost every drive by wire vehicle I have driven in the last 10 years has this feature.
There was a bit of discussion a few years ago here and I questioned whether or not Torrie could eliminate that, but I never asked.

·
Registered
309 Posts
When you have the gas pedal and brake both depressed, the ECU will cut engine power after like 2-3 seconds to prevent any driveline damage.
I know it's not a popular opinion on here, but honestly I think it's good engineering. People can argue we should have track mode, launch control, whatever, and there's an argument for that too, especially on the FFS. But I do think the feature of cutting power in this situation is correct design for the general case. And of course both features could exist side by side, but the reality is we have the power-cutting feature but not the track mode.

I do think it would be fun to take my car to a track at some point but for me personally I'd probably skip the power braking so my numbers wouldn't be very exciting to most folks on here. ;) I do enjoy watching what you all are able to do though, and I cheer every time someone posts a good time slip. It always makes me wish I wasn't quite so cautious. :cool:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bet with the new Ford CEO that cars might not die a sudden death. I think they will keep more the just the Mustang. Not like it has crazy good sales numbers. I’ll never drive a SUV, except the wife’s. There still a lot of great sedans to choose from out there, in 2017 none beat the bang for the $ like the FFS

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey @Sleeper6 Are you tuned right now? If so, which tuner do you have? the X4 or the BDX?

I think I may be having an issue with my X4 communicating with the engine computer and this started right after I installed the MKZ cluster. My X4 can't read the ECU Strategy anymore and I'm trying to see if anyone else is having that issue after installing the cluster.

Vidmo

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey @Sleeper6 Are you tuned right now? If so, which tuner do you have? the X4 or the BDX?

I think I may be having an issue with my X4 communicating with the engine computer and this started right after I installed the MKZ cluster. My X4 can't read the ECU Strategy anymore and I'm trying to see if anyone else is having that issue after installing the cluster.

Vidmo
I am tuned, Unleashed using the BDX. I haven’t plugged it in but I will try to check that for your. I would not see were the dash would prevent the tuner from reading strategy. I haven’t plugged into the car in a good while. I did revisions 2 years ago.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Vidmo
So I installed the dash while the car was tuned. All seems ok, could data log and read the ecu etc. I didn’t try to return to stock (didn’t feel like back to stock and back to tuned tonight) but I did not see anything funny or DTCs.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks @Sleeper6. I too could not see how the dash cluster could affect the tuners ability to read the strategy, but it was the only thig that changed, so I wanted to follow-up on it.

Reactions: Sleeper6

·
Super Moderator
1,338 Posts

The limitation to the CCD menu working on 2017's only has to do with the IPC firmware, not the year of the car. Technically you could flash your 401A IPC with 2017 firmware and the menu would be there (with a programming change, still). The MKZ & Mondeo however are meant to have the CCD menu, which is why it's still in the firmware for recent model years.

The IPC change will also not "void your warranty". As with any modifications, Ford has to prove that your "unsupported modification" has caused the issue in question (if one arises). If you need peace of mind, just use official Ford firmware on the cluster (which was meant to work in our cars, just on the Mondeo). You'll already be using official Ford OE hardware. As for mileage, it's stored on way more than just the IPC. The IPC just has to be updated to match the other modules, otherwise it'll set a DTC. It's also a legality issue - as long as you set it to match (as you would with a normal IPC replacement at a dealer) you are 100% fine, and it doesn't affect and functionality anyways.

In regards to physical install, yeah if you're decent with working on cars it's only a few bolts and trim pieces. Check out the install thread I put together.

·
Super Moderator
1,338 Posts
I know it's not a popular opinion on here, but honestly I think it's good engineering. People can argue we should have track mode, launch control, whatever, and there's an argument for that too, especially on the FFS. But I do think the feature of cutting power in this situation is correct design for the general case. And of course both features could exist side by side, but the reality is we have the power-cutting feature but not the track mode.

I do think it would be fun to take my car to a track at some point but for me personally I'd probably skip the power braking so my numbers wouldn't be very exciting to most folks on here. ;) I do enjoy watching what you all are able to do though, and I cheer every time someone posts a good time slip. It always makes me wish I wasn't quite so cautious. :cool:
Honestly, mine is 100% stock (drivetrain wise, aside from my FMIC), and it still puts a massive smile on my face even with how cautious I also am. I get why Ford did or didn't do alot of things as far as performance goes, and I agree with nearly all of them. I've seen what happens when people launch their Sports and snap axles, and it's not something I want to deal with. They're not race cars, after all. I too love seeing the people who smoke cars that should be much faster than ours, but I know enough about Ford's PTUs to not want to torture the drivetrain any more than the stock engine already does. And I plan on keeping mine for a long time, not dump it after 5 years.

As far as a track goes, check out Track Nights in America - you can be as easy on your car as you want. They're a "have fun with your not-a-racecar on a track with other car enthusiasts" kind of event, and are very affordable. I'm doing another one next month, highly recommend it.

Reactions: Oreo and Engineer

·
Registered
309 Posts
Thanks to Robert Ingle on FB. 100% plug and play. Car should have came this way!

I was looking at this a little more this morning. I do really like that Lincoln IPC. Is there any way to get rid of that "U" shape thing in the lens? I assume that's a side effect of the way the lens is set up for the old cluster originally. I'm guessing those who start with the non-401 cluster might not even have that. But then I was thinking, maybe there's a way to cut something out..... Dremel tool maybe? But then I wonder if that lens thing in the middle is even really that visible in real life. Sometimes things look more prominent on camera than they are when you're actually in the car. Those who have done this, what do you think of the "U" shaped piece in the middle there, and how it's not apparently aligned with the gauges exactly after doing this?

·
Registered
404 Posts
I was looking at this a little more this morning. I do really like that Lincoln IPC. Is there any way to get rid of that "U" shape thing in the lens? I assume that's a side effect of the way the lens is set up for the old cluster originally. I'm guessing those who start with the non-401 cluster might not even have that. But then I was thinking, maybe there's a way to cut something out..... Dremel tool maybe? But then I wonder if that lens thing in the middle is even really that visible in real life. Sometimes things look more prominent on camera than they are when you're actually in the car. Those who have done this, what do you think of the "U" shaped piece in the middle there, and how it's not apparently aligned with the gauges exactly after doing this?
Hi Engineer. I have a 2018 MKZ and that reflection is not there. It is probably just a reflection from the camera angle. I don't think it would be there in normal viewing if you install it. However, I would certainly advise against going at anything on your dash with a dremel. Didn't you learn your lesson with the visor? ;)

And just to clarify something: If you replace your factory IPC, Ford can/will deny any warranty claims that can be connected to the IPC, even if only tangentially. Installing it does not "void" the warranty. A voided warranty is what happens with salvage titles etc. A voided warranty means there is no more warranty. Nothing will be covered at all.
However, when we modify our cars with non-factory parts (even an IPC from another model like the MKZ), any future problems that can be even remotely connected to the IPC replacement would be fair game for Ford to deny a warranty claim. And in our cars, almost everything, including electronics, electrical, audio, climate control, SYNC, etc is connected through the IPC.

Also, Ford (and no automaker) has to prove our modificaiton caused the problem in order to deny a warranty claim. The short story is: If an automaker wants to deny a warranty claim, they can/will deny it and we can not stop them. Then we would have to take Ford to arbitration or court to argue our case. Yes, they will have to provide proof/evidence there, but keep in mind their pockets are much deeper than ours. And the Warranty Guides, which we were given when we purchased our vehicles, clearly states that our cars are warrantied by Ford as sold to us from the factory. So that means any modifications can be a problem. Not will be a problem, but can be a problem. So just keep the possibilities in mind when you perform modifications.

As always, not telling anyone what to do with their own cars, just providing the cautionary information. I tend to err on the side of caution. ;)

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts