Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always am reading about new cars and checking out prices, I have seen reports of Vehicle manufacturers actually making record profits this year with less cars being sold. The consumer is actually paying the penalty if they want a new car right now.

Why are cars so expensive right now 2021?

Because they can now charge more for each unit, car companies and dealers have raked in huge profits in 2021, despite slower production and sales. More limited, targeted production may be where the industry is headed. That means higher prices may be here to stay for the long haul.Oct 30, 2021.

I hope the above info I found above does not become normal practice.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I keep hoping that's not the case, but I think you're right, @dtd . And it's not just new cars. I got a quote for some repair work on mine a few months ago and ended up just deciding I don't need the fixes right now because they were tacking on all kinds of extra surcharges for "covid sanitation", this that and the other. I just said forget it, I'll live with it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I keep hoping that's not the case, but I think you're right, @dtd . And it's not just new cars. I got a quote for some repair work on mine a few months ago and ended up just deciding I don't need the fixes right now because they were tacking on all kinds of extra surcharges for "covid sanitation", this that and the other. I just said forget it, I'll live with it.
I had some work done on my car a little while ago, maybe I will have to check my paperwork. They don't really do much for covid sanitation, instead of wiping the grease off with a shop rag they just wipe it down with clorox towel or spray. Who knows if after it dries that it won't discolor your seats or dash.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I had some work done on my car a little while ago, maybe I will have to check my paperwork. They don't really do much for covid sanitation, instead of wiping the grease off with a shop rag they just wipe it down with clorox towel or spray. Who knows if after it dries that it won't discolor your seats or dash.
Oh yeah that was the other thing, they mentioned they would spray some chemicals and wipe everything down. I didn't want that either, for the same kinds of reasons. My wife's old Taurus had the radio display ruined by chemicals wiped on it, and after that you could never see through the clear plastic to read the display any more, ever again, if sun was hitting it. So I don't want any chemicals like that on my car unless I know exactly what's happening, why, and I can control it. And I certainly don't want anything sprayed on my nav system.

·
Super Moderator
1,613 Posts
Not only do they not have to offer discounts for each new unit, they're also only producing vehicles with higher profit margin per unit. It may only cost slightly more in raw materials to make an F-150 over an Escape, but $30k vs $60k+ more than makes up for the small difference in production cost.

That's the sad & scary part, that they're seeing they don't need the cheaper models to get more buyers in the door. Of course that's not gonna go well in the future, but when it comes to money most automotive companies (American ones in particular) are very short-sighted.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Not only do they not have to offer discounts for each new unit, they're also only producing vehicles with higher profit margin per unit. It may only cost slightly more in raw materials to make an F-150 over an Escape, but $30k vs $60k+ more than makes up for the small difference in production cost.

That's the sad & scary part, that they're seeing they don't need the cheaper models to get more buyers in the door. Of course that's not gonna go well in the future, but when it comes to money most automotive companies (American ones in particular) are very short-sighted.
Eventually when the supply chain catches up, you will get undersold by those that up supply and sell for less.
Like you say, maybe they don't care today. There will also be some that may never buy a new car again due to jacked prices.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I remember that in 2018 I found a 2017 FFS sport all options proposed at $31000.
I have the sticker picture.
I did not bought it because it was a car in the showroom and they were not able to add the 72 months 0% Ford credit for this price.
For sure it was before Covid!
Nowadays car dealers and manufacturers are making huge margins, even Nissan that was close to be bankrupt last year is earning money...
I will try to keep my 2017 FFS as long as possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts