Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Heh, they are making it sound is if you can select between 7 different drive modes using the "rotary dial on the console". This would be the gearshift. I'm picturing the author calling Ford to complain that his car only came with 4 modes: P, N, R and D.

The Ford graphic pictured simply shows all of the things that are altered when selecting Sport mode on the shifter. There is no ability to individually turn these on and off; you get them all in Sport mode, and none in regular drive mode. I do like how Ford lists the "S" that appears in the instrument cluster as one of the ways Sport mode transforms the car though. :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
What does point 6 mean? Will it not shift automatically if its in sport until you do it manually? No matter what?
It'll still shift in order to protect the engine.

The difference is, when you're in "D" and use paddle shifters, it'll revert itself back to "D"/auto after a few seconds of not using the paddle shifters. When you're in "S" and use paddle shifters, it'll remain in manual gear selection mode until you switch it off.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If I remember my test drive correctly, it shifts automatically at redline in sport mode, but won't shift down. Also, in sport mode the paddles stay as the primary shifting method unless you turn them off (i.e. it won't shift up under light load, you have to do it).

So, unlike the other things we've seen this suggest changes to throttle mapping, torque management and transmission behavior with sport mode, as well as steering, sound and suspension. Since this is ad copy not higher level info, I remain politely uncertain...

·
Registered
215 Posts
If I remember my test drive correctly, it shifts automatically at redline in sport mode, but won't shift down.
It will shift down by itself in Sport mode. Essentially you're just getting an all around more performance oriented profile in Sport, but you can ignore the paddle shifters entirely. Basically you can drive around like you normally would in D, you'll just burn a lot more gas and make more noise.

My salesperson told me that Sport mode "activates the paddle shifters" so there's a lot of misinformation floating around, no small thanks to Ford who seems to like keeping everything about this car a secret other than the HP and torque ratings.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Dateline today. "Ford has yet to announce even when they will hit showrooms." That is some on-the-ball reporting. I'm going to MotorAuthority for all my hot news from now on!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts