Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
R1 concepts says the Edge has 316mm rotors both ends, I have yet to see a Edge with vented rear rotors, but the Edge Sport might. Big thing is whether they have cable E brakes, or electric like the Fusion. That was all dependent on what year also, Fusions 13 n up are all electric E bakes, but Ford seemed to lag behind on the SUV platforms going to it, but I want to say Edges got it in 2016, and same with the MKX. I keep hoping the get a 16 up Edge Sport in at work so I can look it over and get and idea of what they did with the brakes. I read where they had some with vented rotors on the back, but have yet to see one. If they did indeed make them with vented rotors, that would be a awesome brake upgrade for our cars
Everything I have read said even with the "brake upgrade", it was basically painted calipers and better brake pads.
Meanwhile, I think you can even get a Brembo upgrade on Suburban's now. The GT500 FINALLY gets a multi-piston rear
caliper. Ford has been slow to upgrade brakes.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I have definitely fallen prey to the “if I can only run ‘xx’ then I’ll be satisfied” trap! But I made the mistake of adding up all the money I’ve spent so far...I’ve got maybe $1500-$2000 of room left before it crosses my personal “stupid” line. On the other side of stupid is a 6.8 Mustang which means I sacrifice winter weather and passenger hauling capability just to run 10s...as I said; just the other side of the same stupid! I just need this car to last until I retire and I won’t care about those things anymore. That’s what my wife’s car is for! Ha!
Buy a nice used S197, get classic car insr (runs $203 a year in NJ for 22K value), drop on blower/X-pipe, run 10's. Keep Fusion as DD.
That 6.8 Stang is going to be 80+ grand.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Any new info on this?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Has there been any progress on the differential development?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Buy a nice used S197, get classic car insr (runs $203 a year in NJ for 22K value), drop on blower/X-pipe, run 10's. Keep Fusion as DD.
That 6.8 Stang is going to be 80+ grand.
NJ required the classic car plate/insurance for a car to be over 20 years old when I checked years and years ago (so this might have been changed) and Haggerty wanted photos to prove the car was in classic car shape. I was trying to get my daily plated as historical to avoid the emissions/safety inspection. The oldest S197 would be only under 17 years old. You'd want a 2007-up S197 for some of the chassis upgrades (not a huge difference but still...) since they made slight changes to accommodate the 2007 GT500. And with a blower they were easy to get into the 10s.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Since 1996 I’ve insured our original 17,000 mile ‘66 T-bird through Condon-Skelly for what is now up to $158/year. It’s basically state-minimum liability insurance with $50/50 mile roadside assistance included. I didn’t see any point in trying to insure for repair or loss value because if it gets wrecked, it can’t be repaired by a common body shop, if it’s stolen who gets to decide what it’s worth beyond the value of a 55 year old car? We bought it for $2750 in 1996. At a car show in the early 2000’s some guy walked up and offered me $24000 cash which I declined. I’ve seen them go for twice that and half that since then. Right now it’s market value is about $14000. Condon-Skelly offers coverage for “occasional use” vehicles like for parade, car shows, racing, etc. Our policy limits mileage, I forget but something like 1000 miles per year. That’s not a problem for how we use it. If I had a race/cruise-in type vehicle I’d just get liability and stay alert!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Anybody who is on Facebook or some other forums heard anything at all about the differential?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
A year later and still no word, I haven't seen anything on any of the face Book pages. I wouldn't hold my breathe, a lot of those guys on the pages are all show and no go. Seems like most are worried about rims n tires, and how low is it. They could care less about speed, why a lot of them drive 1.5 eco's and think they're something to behold when it comes to race between the lights.

• Haha
Reactions: Engineer

·
Super Moderator
1,317 Posts
As far as the rear diff coupler it currently isn't working. Had a bit of drama on the FB group a couple days ago when a couple people ask some questions and the designer/developer got defensive and went off on a rant. Several people paid up front and the units they have received won't work. Latest update was the clutches were to thick and they were being reworked or something to that effect. Even the one Colin got and tested on his Edge had issues. I just noticed Stephen left the FB group on his own accord which is concerning as that was how the purchasers were communicating with him. So basically I wouldn't hold my breath for those couplers.

• Wow
Reactions: Shawnski

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Oof.
I don’t want people to think less of me, but it really irritates me when people get on forums or social media and are all breathless about the next “greatest thing ever” and then just turn out to be full of crap. Why do they think they have to hype something that’s unproven? If a product truly is a game-changer, it won’t need a carnival barker to sell it. I was skeptical of the “4~6 10ths” but all I need to get into the 11s is 3/10ths, so I remained hopeful. Oh well. Someone on this forum once told me, “Buy a nice used S197, get classic car insr (runs $203 a year in NJ for 22K value), drop on blower/X-pipe, run 10's. Keep Fusion as DD”
…looking more and more like sage advice!

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Probably just me being naive here, but what's so special about the proposed diff anyway? If it's limited slip or something, why not just slap an MKZ 3.0 AWD diff on there if that's what you want? I mean I haven't tried it but the parts should be interchangeable, right? You'd have to adjust the PCM tuning for it but I would think it would pretty much just bolt on. Unless there's something magical about this new diff that's different.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Let me dig around and find the pics I have of the new RDU that they put in the Edge.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
This is what they put in the 2020 Edge, first time I've seen this one, not sure on how it's set up, but looks like it's more complex than the older ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Probably just me being naive here, but what's so special about the proposed diff anyway? If it's limited slip or something, why not just slap an MKZ 3.0 AWD diff on there if that's what you want? I mean I haven't tried it but the parts should be interchangeable, right? You'd have to adjust the PCM tuning for it but I would think it would pretty much just bolt on. Unless there's something magical about this new diff that's different.
My understanding was there was supposed to be a tougher Torsen limited slip rear diff to compliment a viscous coupler that was designed to send more power to the rear and do it much faster. It seemed like the combo got colloquially referred to as “the diff”. It was projected to achieve 1.5-1.6 60ft. times. That would have been a huge improvement on par with the significance of tune vs. stock. Conceivably, even if it was 1-2 grand with install it could be considered “worth it” to be in the mid-elevens with a FuSport. It also would have probably been a game-changer for a bunch of SHO guys out there.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
This is what they put in the 2020 Edge, first time I've seen this one, not sure on how it's set up, but looks like it's more complex than the older ones.
Hey Skipe, I’ve noticed you guys seem to have rear diffs out of the vehicles pretty regularly. What are you doing that you get to pull those things completely out?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
This one got a new rear suspension cradle, got hit in the right quarter and bent the knee up pretty good.

Reactions: Shawnski
41 - 56 of 56 Posts