Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading a lot of negative reviews about the performance on this car. Read articles saying this aint the Taurus SHO replacement they thought it would be and the C&D article where they praise the Audi A4 over the Sport. I've driven my parents Explorer Sport with the 3.5 Eco (same engine as the Taurus SHO) and I felt the 2.7 in this car is a little more responsive and snappier than the 3.5, granted the Explorer is heavier I know. I think this car is an excellent performer and with a nice tune and maybe some better flowing down pipes would be a little monster that would shock a lot of people who'd line up with or ride in the Sport

·
Registered
79 Posts
Haters gonna hate haha. I'll be honest, I don't consider my fusion a sports car what so ever and honestly that's not what the car is made for. But I've driven an SHO and I've driven plenty of a4's, and from my opinion the fusion kills both. The SHO is way to big for my liking(not that I like how big the fusion is either). And for the a4, I honestly don't even know why they are being compared because the fusion is better in every way. Maybe the a4 can handle a tad bit better than the fusion but look at the size difference. And like you said Nissanty, a tune and a few other aftermarket goodies and the fusion is going to be that sleeper that catches you off guard!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yeah, I thought those two C&D articles missed the point a bit; there is another thread where we kicked this around a bit. I thought their SHO comment was directed more at the original SHO. Since the Fusion Sport's acceleration is generally on par with the current SHO, this would seem to make more sense. Even so, I don't really agree with the point. The original SHO was cool, but was seriously unrefined, understeered like crazy, and was at the bottom of quality surveys every year. The Fusion Sport isn't as dramatic a performance increase compared to the original SHO, but it is so much better in so many other ways (even taking into account the age difference) that I just can't get on board with that sentiment.

As far is the A4 goes, it's a nice car, but for an extra $10K+ (and that's where it ends up in real life) it ought to be. I drove them both and didn't feel like that A4 had much at all over the Fusion. What I can partially agree with is the general disappointment in this car based on its original hype. Ford did a lot to make us think we were getting a performance monster, and when it turned out that the performance was strong but not incredible, a lot of people were let down. That doesn't make it a bad car by any means, but expectations are important. Ford would have done well to set more realistic expectations and then meet or exceed them.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've driven a few SHOs. They're fast, but I like driving my FuSpo much better, and not just because of its superior rearward visibility. The Taurus is waaaaay too tall (and ugly) of a car for my tastes. Let the cops have 'em...

Actually, they don't even want them, as I see more Explorer Interceptors around here.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The original SHO was a special car. Ahead of its time for a domestic car In the late 80s/ 90s. I actually got a chance to drive my old '90 SHO last year and could not believe how well it still drove! I'd forgotten what a 3,400 pound car felt like..if you ever get a chance to drive one, take it ( not likely as they've all but like 3 in the country have rotted out). And taking into context that it was the 90's, my SHOs were always reliable. But, that was my experience and I knew how to maintain them.
And although I think it can look kinda bad-!$$ in its current form, the new SHO is just too darn big. The Sport is the closest thing to an original SHO that we have. Just really wish they would get the weight down to at least the last gen's weight (in AWD form). Doesn't seem like to much to ask. A Fusion should never weigh 4,100 pounds.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This car is just the perfect package. Can haul your family, go in the snow, and you can drive it like a Focus RS when driving alone. The wife and I were looking at 2.0T awd Titanium fusions when the sales guy told me the sport is kind of like a smaller SHO so we took it for a test drive and of course I got on it and I laughed and yelled HOLY **** this thing is quick. The SHO IMO is a good looking car but like all you said, it is HUGE. I'd be curious to see how this car would drive with a DSG tranny though

·
Registered
76 Posts
All cars get some negative reviews.. thats life...

Just remember that fusion sport is so good that its keeps getting compared to cars that cost 10K+ more and are from much more lux brands lol
Fact:
You can make some people happy most of the time...
You can make all people happy none of the time...

I agree that comparing cars should be based on comparing apples-to-apples. Especially by the so called pros...
Comparing a FS to another car that is ~25% more (Audi or BMW) is like comparing apples-to-oranges...

My guess... if the FS was engineered/built to handle and feel like the Audi and BMW that i gets compared to, the cost of the FS would be ~10K more.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I'd be curious to see how this car would drive with a DSG tranny though
Yes. And. Yes. I'd pay $1-2 grand more for this option.

Just remember that fusion sport is so good that its keeps getting compared to cars that cost 10K+ more and are from much more lux brands lol
Yes. Seems like it gets beat down by being compared to the luxury crowd, where it clearly doesn't belong.

Fact:
My guess... if the FS was engineered/built to handle and feel like the Audi and BMW that i gets compared to, the cost of the FS would be ~10K more.
I dunno, I honestly feel like if they just called weight watchers and cut weight in the right places to even out the weight distribution that it would handle like a totally different car. I'm no engineer though, so I can't say it wouldn't cost $10k to do, but they really should try at least.

·
Registered
27 Posts
FS compares to Audi V8 Quattro?

Methinks the FS could, should? be compared with the '88-93 Audio V8 Quattro? No link since newbie here-:(

Reactions: ColoradoGuy

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ehh. Im liking it so much. Total sleeper. American Q ship. To me its classic formula take a family car and jam in a big motor ( in this case two turbos :)) I have surprised a few Audi's and Subaru's here in Colorado. I guy in a BRZ with at least an exhaust was trying to go at me at the stop light. Totally ridiculous even if my car out weighs it by a 1000lbs I have 100+ more lbs of torque. Kid wouldn't even look over at the next light.

·
Registered
900 Posts
The original SHO was a special car. Ahead of its time for a domestic car In the late 80s/ 90s. I actually got a chance to drive my old '90 SHO last year and could not believe how well it still drove! I'd forgotten what a 3,400 pound car felt like..if you ever get a chance to drive one, take it ( not likely as they've all but like 3 in the country have rotted out). And taking into context that it was the 90's, my SHOs were always reliable. But, that was my experience and I knew how to maintain them.
And although I think it can look kinda bad-!$$ in its current form, the new SHO is just too darn big. The Sport is the closest thing to an original SHO that we have. Just really wish they would get the weight down to at least the last gen's weight (in AWD form). Doesn't seem like to much to ask. A Fusion should never weigh 4,100 pounds.
Yep, the Gen1/2 had amazing motors for the time and with simple bolt ons could handle great for the limp noodle the chassis.

·
Registered
552 Posts
This car is perfect for me. Looks great, rides great, handles great, gets pretty good gas mileage, and always makes me smile when I give it the gas.

I almost leased another 2.0 Escape because my current 2.0 Escape lease was up, but luckily did a bunch of searching on the internet, and literally stumbled onto the Fusion Sport. I had it in my driveway within 5 days of discovering it!

Couldn't be happier. It does everything that is important to me. I actually feel lucky to have it!

And to make it even better, I got the 93 Unleashed Tune at 700 miles.

·
Registered
451 Posts
In my opinion, picking a new car is like picking a new cell phone. Each has pros and cons. Everyone has their own opinion and preferences.

With a car just like a cell phone, there are many different variables involved.

Is the SHO faster than the Sport? Possibly

Is the SHO outdated for the most part? Possibly

Is the SHO more comfortable than the sport interior wise? Possibly

Does the Fusion feel more attached to the road? Possibly.

Which car is more fun to drive? Opinion based as well

Reactions: Fozzy and Rice
1 - 17 of 17 Posts