Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What am i looking for with offset? I have the stock wheels now with new Continental DWS06 in 245/45/19.....got pretty bad curb rash on 3 of the wheels, had them balanced 3 times once road force.....still have a bad shimmy from the front end around 80. If i put the rears on the front it is much less so assuming its the rims. Anyhow looking for a new set of rims probably 19 x 8.5 but I dont understand the offset. What should I be looking for?

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I have 42 offset and it sits flush with the fender 19 x 8.5
20200902_112728.jpg car.jpg

Reactions: FusionPhil

·
Registered
284 Posts
I believe anything from +35 to +55 offset will work. If you are going to spend money replacing wheels, might as well do some weight reduction while you are at it. You can get some 19"x 8.5", 5x108mm(bolt pattern), +40 offset for around $170/wheel with the Konig Myth and they are 23 lbs. per wheel, stock are around 34 lbs. BTW stock wheels are only 19" x 8".

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have 42 offset and it sits flush with the fender 19 x 8.5
Hi MY27 Do you have two different size tires on the front and rear? The rear tires look to have a much shorter sidewall.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Had tire issues replaced the 2 fronts with different style goodyears same size

·
Registered
669 Posts
Had tire issues replaced the 2 fronts with different style goodyears same size
Hi MY27. Sorry for the questions, but...but how many miles are on the older rear tires? Could just be the angle of the photo, but it looks as though they are visibly more worn.

The reason I am asking is because when we replace only two tires, the two new tires should always be installed on the rear, not the front. This is for handling and safety reasons. Always. No exceptions.

Yes, I realize some people think that is counterintuitive, especially on FWD and AWD vehicles. However, this information can be verified on any expert tire site, including the websites of all tire manufacturers or with a quick Google of "Where should I install new tires". Here is just one: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=52

Hope this helps and good luck.

Reactions: MY27FUSION

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe anything from +35 to +55 offset will work. If you are going to spend money replacing wheels, might as well do some weight reduction while you are at it. You can get some 19"x 8.5", 5x108mm(bolt pattern), +40 offset for around $170/wheel with the Konig Myth and they are 23 lbs. per wheel, stock are around 34 lbs. BTW stock wheels are only 19" x 8".
Yeah, but I went up a size on tires and they suggest 8.5 instead of 8. Its the offset that puts them far enough out to keep them off the brakes correct?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Yeah, but I went up a size on tires and they suggest 8.5 instead of 8. Its the offset that puts them far enough out to keep them off the brakes correct?
Hi MFGL. Yes. Generally speaking, it is a calculation of the wheel offset and wheel width that determines clearance of the wheel from the suspension/brake calipers on the inside, and how flush the wheel sits in relation to the quarter-panel on the outside.

Plus, there is a difference between what will work/fit, and what will look good as far as how it fits.
Ideally, the wheels/tires should sit flush with the fenders/quarter panels, not recessed/sucked in like cars in the 60's, nor sticking out like the poor fitting wheels/tires on some cobbled together teenage tuner car.

When you state you "went up a size on tires", what exactly do you mean? Up a size in tread width? Up a size in sidewall ratio? Both?

It would probably help us give you more accurate advice if you tell us what tire size you had and what size tire you "went up to".

Good luck.

·
Registered
669 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Anyone ever try Balancing Beads? The Hellcat groups talked about this and further research shows it has a lot of merit for very large truck tires, but works on small cars as well. Seems like it'd be more adaptive than stick-ons.

Also, I've been thinking about BBS SR wheels but I really would like to be able to use the OE-style lugnuts. I have the Gorilla OEM-replacement single piece chromed lugnuts and they're 21mm so the emergency jack/wrench would work. I'm not fond of using smaller "tuner" lugnuts. Are there any aftermarket wheels that can still retain the use of the OE-style lugnuts?

·
Registered
284 Posts
A positive offset means the hub-mounting surface is closer to the outside edge of the wheel, while a negative offset means the hub-mounting surface is closer to the inside edge of the wheel. A wheel with too little positive offset will be closer to edge of the fender.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
MFGL they are Konig Oversteer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts