Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just purchased a used 2019 FFS with around 20k miles and the warranty will expire in December. This is my daily driver but I know this thing can be much faster without losing reliability. I'm good with spending around $5k but I want to do everything at once. I'd really appreciate your help and guidance, I can't wait to make this thing faster!!!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Upgrade the inter cooler, you can go with a Steeda CAI, but a drop in filter will be fine, and some good tuning. That will get you faster, there's a lot more, but that's a good start.

Reactions: Engineer and Vidmo

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
213 Posts
Hi All,

Just purchased a used 2019 FFS with around 20k miles and the warranty will expire in December. This is my daily driver but I know this thing can be much faster without losing reliability. I'm good with spending around $5k but I want to do everything at once. I'd really appreciate your help and guidance, I can't wait to make this thing faster!!!
A good search on this forum will yield all the information you need to make your car faster , better looking , and reliable.

And welcome from Texas !

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
752 Posts
First, Welcome aboard!
Second: Need photos :)
Next, Recommend Maintenance first before making changes. Make sure that you check your Transmission Fluid Level. Cars usually ship with low level and the first owners never check it. Dip stick is under the the air filter housing. Engine Oil should/needs to be full synthetic. Use only top tier gas, not the cheap no/name brands. PTU fluid change is also, recommended at 30k miles. I don't care what the manual says, there is no such thing as a Lifetime rated fluid.

Mods that get you ban for the buck. Upgrade the Intercooler. Depending on whether or not you have the adaptive cruise control will determine which of the after market Intercoolers that you can use. If you have the ACC, the only one that will fit will be Ultimate performance. Next, Tuner & Tune. Multiple choices there. Many opposing views as to which one is the best.

There is a thread that list of After Market Parts

Good luck! Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
2019 > 2018 > 2017 :)
279 Posts
Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
904 Posts
Then comes all the other fun things to make it run better. :)

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Hello my first suggestion is tune it then get a intercooler upgrade those are the mods that net the best gains good luck with your sport

Reactions: Shawnski

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Upgrade the inter cooler, you can go with a Steeda CAI, but a drop in filter will be fine, and some good tuning. That will get you faster, there's a lot more, but that's a good start.
Thank you, added the Steeda CAI and researching the tune. However, I would think I need to do other potential upgrades prior to the tune? As I mentioned I'm up for dropping $5k or more to turn this into a beast.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First, Welcome aboard!
Second: Need photos :)
Next, Recommend Maintenance first before making changes. Make sure that you check your Transmission Fluid Level. Cars usually ship with low level and the first owners never check it. Dip stick is under the the air filter housing. Engine Oil should/needs to be full synthetic. Use only top tier gas, not the cheap no/name brands. PTU fluid change is also, recommended at 30k miles. I don't care what the manual says, there is no such thing as a Lifetime rated fluid.

Mods that get you ban for the buck. Upgrade the Intercooler. Depending on whether or not you have the adaptive cruise control will determine which of the after market Intercoolers that you can use. If you have the ACC, the only one that will fit will be Ultimate performance. Next, Tuner & Tune. Multiple choices there. Many opposing views as to which one is the best.

There is a thread that list of After Market Parts

Good luck! Enjoy the ride!
I hear you on the pics! I'll get those after I wrap and tint the bad boy! Thanks so much for recommended maintenance, very helpful and I'll do them all for sure!!! I'm having a hell of a time finding someone local in Rhode Island or Mass to work on this thing, I'd hate to bring it to the dealership for this. Maybe someone in the forum can recommend a shop in the RI/MA area? Also, you mentioned multiple choices on the tuner/tune and I'm seeing that in my research which is driving me crazy. I messed with a Subi in the past and spent about $10K in mods and had engine failure twice, I'm thinking because of the tune and I don't want to repeat that with this car! Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Thank you, added the Steeda CAI and researching the tune. However, I would think I need to do other potential upgrades prior to the tune? As I mentioned I'm up for dropping $5k or more to turn this into a beast.
Well ,then if you can do the work your self. Go with a set of 3 inch down pipes, and if you really want to pick up some more find a set of 3.0 turbos off a Lincoln. MSD coils don't hurt, but the stock ones do a pretty good job keeping the fire burning. You can go with a Good Water / Meth set up for knock control, and some good tuning from any of the reputable tuners out there, or do your own if you think you can learn it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I messed with a Subi in the past and spent about $10K in mods and had engine failure twice, I'm thinking because of the tune and I don't want to repeat that with this car!
No, it's because Subaru is a crap platform - they routinely grenade, sometimes even bone stock. Just about all of my friends have gone through the turbo Subaru phase, had major issues, and ran away screaming. One of my friends turned a negative into a positive and became a Subaru tuner - he has a steady flow of customers who already expect to blow up their engines.

Anyways, at $5k you're probably into new turbos - plenty of info on this site. That will drive your choice of tuner, as well. If you're really concerned about longevity, just get a tune and maybe exhaust, and call it a day. Just my 2c.

·
Registered
904 Posts
What I would do is replace the I/C, put a catch can on it, and good tuning. That will get you close to 400 HP at the crank if not a bit more depending on the tune.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, it's because Subaru is a crap platform - they routinely grenade, sometimes even bone stock. Just about all of my friends have gone through the turbo Subaru phase, had major issues, and ran away screaming. One of my friends turned a negative into a positive and became a Subaru tuner - he has a steady flow of customers who already expect to blow up their engines.

Anyways, at $5k you're probably into new turbos - plenty of info on this site. That will drive your choice of tuner, as well. If you're really concerned about longevity, just get a tune and maybe exhaust, and call it a day. Just my 2c.
Ok, thanks for the feedback! Yes,
I am concerned about reliability/longevity so looking to do something safe especially the tune. Is exhaust, intercooler then maybe suspension and brakes seem like the best option? I’m open to the turbos but worry about the tune and reliability. This forum is great by the way, thanks so much for the feedback this far!

·
Registered
442 Posts
I honestly don't know enough about turbo swaps to offer anything useful. I just know that Lincoln MKZ turbos are a somewhat popular mod.

You're absolutely right - tune, intercooler, exhaust, suspension, brakes are all good mods that shouldn't compromise the reliability of the car.

Don't bother with intakes, stock is great.

With suspension, keep in mind that you'd be giving up adaptive suspension (personally, I love the comfy ride).

The three biggest tuners are (in no particular order) Unleashed, Tuning By James, and Livernois - tons of info on them on this forum. Some guys do their own tuning with HP Tuners - sounds cool but I'm not smart enough to try. It all gets pretty contentious so I'll just recommend doing a lot of research and deciding for yourself instead of taking anyone's word for it.

Brakes are decent stock, I'd just throw some low-dust track-ish pads in and be done. There are some rotor options out there though.

Exhaust... Again, lots of info elsewhere on this site. Suffice it to say there are many options.

You can also do tint, wheels, MKZ instrument cluster, sway bars, FORScan (software that lets you change lots of convenience features), etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I honestly don't know enough about turbo swaps to offer anything useful. I just know that Lincoln MKZ turbos are a somewhat popular mod.

You're absolutely right - tune, intercooler, exhaust, suspension, brakes are all good mods that shouldn't compromise the reliability of the car.

Don't bother with intakes, stock is great.

With suspension, keep in mind that you'd be giving up adaptive suspension (personally, I love the comfy ride).

The three biggest tuners are (in no particular order) Unleashed, Tuning By James, and Livernois - tons of info on them on this forum. Some guys do their own tuning with HP Tuners - sounds cool but I'm not smart enough to try. It all gets pretty contentious so I'll just recommend doing a lot of research and deciding for yourself instead of taking anyone's word for it.

Brakes are decent stock, I'd just throw some low-dust track-ish pads in and be done. There are some rotor options out there though.

Exhaust... Again, lots of info elsewhere on this site. Suffice it to say there are many options.

You can also do tint, wheels, MKZ instrument cluster, sway bars, FORScan (software that lets you change lots of convenience features), etc.
Thank you!!!

In regards to the exhaust, I'm thinking the MRT version 2 axel-back with ultimate performance downpipes but not seeing many option for anything in-between? Also, does anyone have experience with this setup, I don't want anything very loud.

Leaning towards the unleashedtuning power package #1 with Torrie for the tune.

Finally, can someone recommend wheel/tire sizing for snow tires?

·
Registered
904 Posts
I've got a Borla that I need to get a few pics of and post it in the sale section. Only on the car for about a week n a half, but it's gonna cost you more than the MRT.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts