Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has the upgraded 401a package, with the digital info cluster, and I really hate it. The design is nice for a cruiser or economy car but absolutely awful for a performance oriented car, IMHO. I loath the small (not to mention, digital) tachometer and how the left screen changes automatically when manually shifting the car. I'm not sure WTF ford was thinking, but I'm interested in possibly swapping in a cluster from a base model.

So with that said, I've never driven a base model before. Does it have all the same vehicle functions as the upgraded cluster? For example, does it have access to the all the same options in the vehicle menu that would typically be on the left screen? I don't really care about the right screen at all, as I don't normally use it.

What about fuel mileage? Tire pressure?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I felt the exact same way, one of the reasons I didnt get the 401a package, just absolute **** gauges and cluster. A sport/fast car should have mechanical gauges, I think the 400a gauges are far better to look at it and use. With that being said, as far as car functionality, everything on the left side gauges in the 401a are in the center gauge of the 400a with the exception of the digital tach, which is gone. But all the other options are the same and controlled by the left side steering wheel buttons. The biggest difference would be the right side display, that is gone on the 400a and instead located in the radio, since the 401a package has essentially the same thing, i think you would be fine to just leave that one disconnected.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have the base Cluster and I love it. I leave the intelligent AWD animation on in the middle between the analog RPMs on the left and analog speedo on the right.

there is a digital MPH option for the center but I never use it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information guys! I had no idea that it would still give the digital speedo and AWD readouts! That makes me pretty happy lol

So now I just need to see if it's something thats plug and play? I appears that previous swaps done were from an analog to the dual digitals on earlier fusions, not typically the other way around. I don't see why it wouldn't work though.

I'm tempted to jump on it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, I went and ordered one lol

Ebay had one for 87.00 shipped with only 1K on the odo from a 2017. Maybe I'll do a writeup or something for anyone else interested.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
401a also gives you sync 3 and nav backup camera right. It's been so long I've forgot what comes with it

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, it comes with Sync 3 and the backup camera. IIRC, navigation was an extra added option.

·
Registered
626 Posts
401A includes:
2 LCD displays in instrument cluster
10 way power passenger seat
Ambient lighting
Dual zone HVAC
Reverse sensing system
12 Speaker Sony audio
HD Radio
Sync 3
911 Assist

·
Registered
31 Posts
well, I went and ordered one lol

Ebay had one for 87.00 shipped with only 1K on the odo from a 2017. Maybe I'll do a writeup or something for anyone else interested.
$87 (plus your efforts) to convert the 401A display to 400A???? That's the best mod yet. I'm thinking that'll be a nightmare to install, but I'm rooting for you. To me, that would be the ultimate setup. I do wish I had the climate control and the Sony stereo, but the natural gauges are way better than the 401A setup. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
$87 (plus your efforts) to convert the 401A display to 400A???? That's the best mod yet. I'm thinking that'll be a nightmare to install, but I'm rooting for you. To me, that would be the ultimate setup. I do wish I had the climate control and the Sony stereo, but the natural gauges are way better than the 401A setup. Keep us posted.
Thanks man. Yeah I really didn't think it would be that cheap, but it seems like most fusion owners want to swap the analog out for the digital for some reason. Fine by me lol. Then I figure another 100 or so to have a 3rd party reprogram it for my cars mileage.

As for the difficulty, I don't think it will be that bad. I've read threads on 2Gfusions about the opposite swap and it actually seems pretty straight forward. Maybe a 30-40 min job at most. I will absolutely keep yall updated.

edit: For anyone else wanting to do the same

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...luster.TRS0&_nkw=2017+fusion+cluster&_sacat=0

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I got the new cluster in, but unfortunately it's for a Canadian or International Fusion! ****!!!!

I contacted the seller to see about swapping it for a US unit as their listing was specific in listing the mileage on it (not Km). Hoping they take care of me.

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
Make sure it's from a '17 at least if you get another one. Ford changed a few things with firmware related stuff (it may not be a big deal, but some modules do not work if they're on an old version). Also, you would need to either get one from a Sport or reprogram the AsBuilt data for your car (fuel tank size, wheel/tire size, etc.)

Reactions: WaterISWet

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Pinky! The seller contacted me back and now just waiting on instructions to ship it back. Hopefully they don't dick me around.

Make sure it's from a '17 at least if you get another one. Ford changed a few things with firmware related stuff (it may not be a big deal, but some modules do not work if they're on an old version). Also, you would need to either get one from a Sport or reprogram the AsBuilt data for your car (fuel tank size, wheel/tire size, etc.)

Thanks a lot for the information! I didn't even think about that stuff (tank size/wheel diameter). I assumed it was all controlled/calculated by the ECU.

I think I will put this project on the back burner for now and wait for a deal on a used Sport cluster.

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
Thanks a lot for the information! I didn't even think about that stuff (tank size/wheel diameter). I assumed it was all controlled/calculated by the ECU.

I think I will put this project on the back burner for now and wait for a deal on a used Sport cluster.
You can get a non-Sport cluster, just program it using the AsBuilt data from another Sport with the 400A package. Like I said they just changed some firmware things for the 2017 model year. That's the only thing you'd really have to worry about.

Reactions: WaterISWet
1 - 17 of 17 Posts