Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm slightly torn on whether to get Navigation or not...

If I have an Android phone with access to Google Maps/Navigation, and with the Waze Beta being rolled out soon for CarPlay/Android Auto, is there really a reason to get the built in Navi?

Besides Sync 3 Navi being able to work without data, I'm trying to find a reason.

All opinions welcome :)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I personally say its not worth the $800 considering the era of smartphones being able to do that... but its up to the individual.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Ive used mine several times but my beef is the Ford map is outdated. One city I visit every other month had the off and on ramps change over a year ago and nav still had me driving in a field until I get back on the main road.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Think built-in is obsolete with Android Auto. GMaps works great already. I don't even bother with Sync3 at all anymore. AA looks and functions much better.

Gmaps also updates like weekly. How often is Ford going to update their Nav?

·
Registered
481 Posts
im thankful i didn't get the nav because of it being able to do it via your phone. The only issue some people have brought up is obviously the in car navigation would work more of the time since your phone would need to have cell service.

Reactions: bigblueshock

·
Registered
481 Posts
Do you still get the larger screen with no nav? I know you can use Gmaps through apps in sync.
yup the 401A package comes with the (i think its 8") big touch screen

Reactions: bigblueshock

·
Registered
481 Posts
Thought that was available or in the works.
i think he might be referring to if you use an iphone it only works with the default maps app and not the google maps app.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Android Auto GMaps has a new feature that tells you your average speed, and by how much you beat the estimated time when you complete navigation. It's honestly the most irresponsible thing in the world. Yesterday I cut 5 minutes off the trip back from Jimmy John's and averaged 27 mph.

Reactions: Vert and Rice

·
Registered
206 Posts
My car came equipped with Nav since I bought off the dealer lot. Otherwise, I would have skipped it - even the salesman said he wouldn't be surprised if Ford drops the option before too long due to the prevalence of smartphones.

I use it from time to time - it works, but Google maps has better traffic and route times / predictions and I prefer the UI as well.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow guys, thank you for the feedback. This is exactly what I was looking for.

I thought there was a catch somewhere, or there would have to be an advantage of getting built in Nav, but I guess not.

If Sirius Traffic is anything like NavTraffic, then it's really limited and basic. The best Traffic you will get right now is via GMaps and Waze.

I don't necessarily think car makers need to drop the option, but how the heck can you charge $795??????? Maybe cut that down to $200 or less and it may be worth it for the convenience factor

I just bought a Moto G4 play for $100 and leave it in my current car. I got a Freedompop Sim for 99 cents and over 500MB of free data a month. Not advertising here, but just stating the $$$ factor.

Reactions: Rice

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
I special ordered my Sport with the 401A package and nav. I'm glad I saved the $800 and just use Android Auto with Google Maps. I love it. Our 2016 Escape has SYNC 3 Navigation, and it sucks. Not as bad as My Ford Touch Navigation, but still. Also, you are correct, Sirius Traffic is useless.

·
Super Moderator
1,311 Posts
Well I'm the oddball. I never had it before but so far I have enjoyed it. I travel a LOT for work and I use the Nav every trip. Even on trips where I know I am going I fire it up. I like the Fuel Prices feature, Find POI and Weather/Weather map features. All hand free and on the big screen so it is easy to see. So far the maps have been good for me. Of course I never expect to have an accurate map of Dallas or Houston as they seem to just change roads on a whim with the continuous construction. I have traveled Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, Mississippi, Alabama so far. I also like the fact that it is free for 5 yrs.

If I stream maps on my phone it eats the fricken battery like a 2 year old eating MM from a open bag.

What they need to be working on is TRUE phone mirroring and then they would have something. Complete control and visual of your phone via the car touch screen. Now that is what I want. Then we could all have our Torque Apps front and center...

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
What they need to be working on is TRUE phone mirroring and then they would have something. Complete control and visual of your phone via the car touch screen. Now that is what I want. Then we could all have our Torque Apps front and center...
Volkswagen and Subaru had it before Android Auto & Apple CarPlay came out, it's called MirrorLink (it's been out for years, now). But the issue is they don't simplify (and limit) the interface like what Android Auto & CarPlay do.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts