Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a few things around the innerwebs that state the Ford Navigation cannot be added after the fact due to it missing some module or something. Is this true? Ford carries their navigation on a SD/USB drive.... seems like you could just purchase it from the dealer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sync 2 used an sdcard that installed in a dedicated slot in the center console. In a quick perusal of the console in my Sport I did not see a slot for a memory card to be installed. I suspect it's installed at the factory (in some fashion). I would think there'd still be a way to get it installed @ the dealer, but don't know.

Another piece of info: with Sync 2 I was always given a sealed clamshell package with the sdcard in it, for self install. Nothing like that this time (from the same dealer).

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sync 2 used an sdcard that installed in a dedicated slot in the center console. In a quick perusal of the console in my Sport I did not see a slot for a memory card to be installed. I suspect it's installed at the factory (in some fashion). I would think there'd still be a way to get it installed @ the dealer, but don't know.

Another piece of info: with Sync 2 I was always given a sealed clamshell package with the sdcard in it, for self install. Nothing like that this time (from the same dealer).
Thanks for the info.. I did some digging, at it appears that Ford has introduced two different APIMs; one with Navi and one without. Looks like I am SOL

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the info.. I did some digging, at it appears that Ford has introduced two different APIMs; one with Navi and one without. Looks like I am SOL
Use the Appleplay or Android auto with google maps and you can mirror your cell display on the touchscreen. Free navigation

·
Registered
50 Posts
Use the Appleplay or Android auto with google maps and you can mirror your cell display on the touchscreen. Free navigation
Yeah, depending on your phone, at least partially. My experience (while limited) with Android Auto in the Fusion Sport has been... very poor. Using AA has (so far) reminded me a lot of using nav on Sync2. Odd pauses, inexplicable problems, times where it simply doesn't work. In addition to that it will occasionally just close (on the car display) and I need disconnect the phone and reconnect it.

At this point I'm not sure if the problem lies with my phone, Sync3, or some other as yet unknown area.

·
Registered
76 Posts
As far as adding Nav after the fact....
I had the same question about adding it on a 2013 fusion titanium but was told at the time that it had to with licensing of the equipment/software. That was Sync 2 but I would expect it is the same for Sync 3.

Now I have seen web sites that say they can add (oem) Nav to Sync 2 (not sure about Sync 3). It involves a re-program of your APIM module.
It is not from a dealer and obviously not authorized by Ford.
If it were, Ford would do it...
I am in no way saying go do that, I know that Ford offers system updates to Sync that you the owner can download and install. I have done it 2x. If you tried to update a non oem system with the oem update, not sure what would happen. The outfits that do this so called service seems to say it is not an issue, I would not gamble the integrity of the system on that...

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have the navigation only because I couldn't wait for new factory order that came without navigation. Total waste of money.

I had to start plugging the phone in all the time because Sync 3 is not consistent with Spotify (can't change the song even when in park). So that forced me to use Android Auto and Google Maps instead of the built in Navigation. Google Maps with Android Auto is free and by far superior in every way (better routes, more accurate traffic, easier to search while driving). I reaching my data limit last month so tried to go back to stock Navigation and hated it. I don't know why you are having issues, maybe poor cell phone signal in places so it can't refresh the map.

I guess if you lived in an area where cell phone coverage might be spotty it would be worth it, but I live in a big city. I actually have problems with buildings and overpasses blocking my GPR and Sirus signals while cell phone signal stays strong. And now since I do everything through the cell phone, I was able to remove the "remote control car" antenna without any change in function.
"

·
Registered
215 Posts
I guess if you lived in an area where cell phone coverage might be spotty it would be worth it, but I live in a big city.
"
My Sport doesn't have built in nav and I've quickly realized that Using Apple Maps via my phone isn't a complete alternative. The first problem is that Apple Maps still isn't up to par, and Apple hasn't allowed Google or other players to make their apps compatible with Apple Carplay. The second problem, as you've said, is that if you are out of cell range then your navigation goes away. I learned this the hard way on a trip through rural Maine. I am investigating satellite navigation apps for my iPhone. Basically you need all the map info to live in your phone, which eliminates the need for a cell signal (the phone has a separate GPS receiver). The reputable apps are pricey but still far less than buying a Garmin or similar device. Even putting cost aside, I don't really want another device cluttering up my dash, so I'll probably give one of these apps a try on my next long distance trip.

·
Registered
451 Posts
My Sport doesn't have built in nav and I've quickly realized that Using Apple Maps via my phone isn't a complete alternative. The first problem is that Apple Maps still isn't up to par, and Apple hasn't allowed Google or other players to make their apps compatible with Apple Carplay. The second problem, as you've said, is that if you are out of cell range then your navigation goes away. I learned this the hard way on a trip through rural Maine. I am investigating satellite navigation apps for my iPhone. Basically you need all the map info to live in your phone, which eliminates the need for a cell signal (the phone has a separate GPS receiver). The reputable apps are pricey but still far less than buying a Garmin or similar device. Even putting cost aside, I don't really want another device cluttering up my dash, so I'll probably give one of these apps a try on my next long distance trip.
Frizz,

You could always get a low-cost Android phone, toss it on a free FreedomPop/Ringplus plan, then use Android Auto. Keep it buried in the console and plugged in at all times. That's what I kind of do right now with my current car (minus the android auto part). With android auto you will have access to Google Navigation, and in the near future, Waze.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Frizz,

You could always get a low-cost Android phone, toss it on a free FreedomPop/Ringplus plan, then use Android Auto. Keep it buried in the console and plugged in at all times. That's what I kind of do right now with my current car (minus the android auto part). With android auto you will have access to Google Navigation, and in the near future, Waze.
That's a great idea. Since I am plugging the phone in and not using Bluetooth as often, I am constantly forgetting my phone in the car.

I don't want to start an apple vs android talk here, but another thing to point out is that Google Maps lets you pre-download your trip when you start, so that if you loose cell phone signal the maps you will need are stored on the phone. That would further make the built in Nav a useless cost.

·
Registered
451 Posts
That's a great idea. Since I am plugging the phone in and not using Bluetooth as often, I am constantly forgetting my phone in the car.

I don't want to start an apple vs android talk here, but another thing to point out is that Google Maps lets you pre-download your trip when you start, so that if you loose cell phone signal the maps you will need are stored on the phone. That would further make the built in Nav a useless cost.
Correct. Not intending to start an iOS v Android talk. In my eyes, the device would only be used for data and Android Auto. This wouldn't affect your primary device in any way.

The only issue I for-see, is if you use hands free in the car. I'm not sure if or how Sync 3 handles multiple connections at once. For example, your main phone is an iPhone. You have your Android phone hooked up to Sync 3 and Android Auto enabled, and your iPhone rings, are you still able to answer it with your cars hands free system.

Maybe someone with two phones can test :)

·
Registered
400 Posts
That could be a problem. Android Auto takes over everything, unless there are settings or permissions you can alter to change it, I don't think you can run a phone through sync3 and a separate phone hardwired through android auto.

Just to justify the cost of Nav, I have tried to run the stock Nav with the phone plugged in, but I can't. It always goes to AA google maps and I haven't found a setting to change this. Seems like with the 401(A) package there is a lot of redundant ways to do the same thing. Sync3 doesn't work that well for me for controlling music through Bluetooth (not surprising). Android auto works well but has to be plugged in and takes over everything, essentially meaning I don't use sync3 anymore. If the car could be android auto compatible without the sync3 upgrade, that would have been the most practical approach.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After having the car a few months, I am strictly using Apple CarPlay with Apple Maps. Other than the occasional crappy routing decisions and less than ideal traffic conditions, it works great.

I've yet to have any hiccups with my system. I can play spotify and have directions going at the same time and switch between the apps no problem.

After reading some of the reviews of the OEM Navi system, I'm pretty sure I'm not missing out on much.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Apple Maps has completely failed me a couple of times; once sending us into the middle of nowhere instead of to our hotel, despite it having the name and address of the hotel listed correctly. I've gotten into the habit of having my girlfriend use Google Maps on her phone just to "fact check" Apple Maps if I'm using it. Apple either needs to put some serious work into its maps app, or just let third parties into Apple Carplay. It's too bad since the rest of Carplay works great for me.

·
Registered
451 Posts
That could be a problem. Android Auto takes over everything, unless there are settings or permissions you can alter to change it, I don't think you can run a phone through sync3 and a separate phone hardwired through android auto.

Just to justify the cost of Nav, I have tried to run the stock Nav with the phone plugged in, but I can't. It always goes to AA google maps and I haven't found a setting to change this. Seems like with the 401(A) package there is a lot of redundant ways to do the same thing. Sync3 doesn't work that well for me for controlling music through Bluetooth (not surprising). Android auto works well but has to be plugged in and takes over everything, essentially meaning I don't use sync3 anymore. If the car could be android auto compatible without the sync3 upgrade, that would have been the most practical approach.
Wow that's interesting. Sync 3 features don't work over Bluetooth at all? I thought that was only Android Auto/CarPlay which required the wire

From what I understand, Android Auto/CarPlay take over the sync system once activated via the wired connection. Can't you just not turn on Car Play, and have the original Sync 3 functionality back? I recall watching a video with a ford tech showing how Sync 3 works.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have 2 iPhones , one personal and one work. I can only seem to get one to be "live" at a time. So during work hours I have to have my work one hooked up as the CarPlay phone. Then my personal one with all my music on it basically sits there charging and nothing else. I've tried to have one hooked up to CarPlay and one to Bluetooth but it seems CarPlay overrides Bluetooth... frustrating... Anyone having different experiences here?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
i think sync has only ever allowed one phone connected at a time. I haven't heard of anyone having two functioning at the same time.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have 2 iPhones , one personal and one work. I can only seem to get one to be "live" at a time. So during work hours I have to have my work one hooked up as the CarPlay phone. Then my personal one with all my music on it basically sits there charging and nothing else. I've tried to have one hooked up to CarPlay and one to Bluetooth but it seems CarPlay overrides Bluetooth... frustrating... Anyone having different experiences here?
I just always use my work phone... unlimited data plan :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts