Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone.

I have been looking for a sporty sedan for about a year (you can see i joined these forums in May 2019), and from my research, I have settled on a Fusion sport a while ago. It's fast, comfortable, it's not overly expensive to buy and repair (if needed), and so on.

I finally found one that I like (they are rare in canada) and I am set to close the deal next weekend, if all goes well. But before I do that, I wanted to make sure I really got the right choice, so I went out to test drive some of the competitive used vehicles. All the cars I drove had the same 30-40k km on them.

2018 Acura TLX AWD A-spec - this was a comfy ride, but the car feels big, its $10k more expensive, so it was easy for me to pass on that.
2018 Kia Stinger GT - I found it rather cramped, and again it's $15k+ over any similar vehicles.
2018 Infinity Q50 3.0T - This got more interesting. The ride is comfy, though the throttle wasn't very responsive. It's more expensive than FS, but within striking distance.
2018 Subaru WRX - This one really got me. I do like its exterior, but the way it sounds and performs was pretty amazing. The downside is the fact that it sits rather low to the ground, has pretty stiff shocks, and racing seats - not all that comfortable for a sedan.

With the Infinity and Subaru catching my interest, I also stopped by to test drive the 2018 FS again. After the above 4 cars, the interior of the Fusion seemed less comfortable to me - specifically, the huge amount of space on the dashboard, and how much further ahead the left pillar is compared to other cars. It doesn't inhibit vision too much... but it felt off.

I also talked to the dealership where I'd be potentially taking it in for service (different dealerhsip from where I am buying it). These guys didn't really have much clue about the Sport trim, and nobody could give me much info on anything other than their truck/SUV lineup. It's not their fault - these cars are rare - but it slightly worries me about the quality of service I would be getting. It's not an issue I'd face with the other brands, I think.

Just wanted to share! thanks,

TLDR; FS has more legitimate competitors to consider than I anticipated (given my personal list of requirements). But it remains my likely top choice. Are the A-Pillars an issue, or will I get used to them?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Hi everyone.

I have been looking for a sporty sedan for about a year (you can see i joined these forums in May 2019), and from my research, I have settled on a Fusion sport a while ago. It's fast, comfortable, it's not overly expensive to buy and repair (if needed), and so on.

I finally found one that I like (they are rare in canada) and I am set to close the deal next weekend, if all goes well. But before I do that, I wanted to make sure I really got the right choice, so I went out to test drive some of the competitive used vehicles. All the cars I drove had the same 30-40k km on them.

2018 Acura TLX AWD A-spec - this was a comfy ride, but the car feels big, its $10k more expensive, so it was easy for me to pass on that.
2018 Kia Stinger GT - I found it rather cramped, and again it's $15k+ over any similar vehicles.
2018 Infinity Q50 3.0T - This got more interesting. The ride is comfy, though the throttle wasn't very responsive. It's more expensive than FS, but within striking distance.
2018 Subaru WRX - This one really got me. I do like its exterior, but the way it sounds and performs was pretty amazing. The downside is the fact that it sits rather low to the ground, has pretty stiff shocks, and racing seats - not all that comfortable for a sedan.

With the Infinity and Subaru catching my interest, I also stopped by to test drive the 2018 FS again. After the above 4 cars, the interior of the Fusion seemed less comfortable to me - specifically, the huge amount of space on the dashboard, and how much further ahead the left pillar is compared to other cars. It doesn't inhibit vision too much... but it felt off.

I also talked to the dealership where I'd be potentially taking it in for service (different dealerhsip from where I am buying it). These guys didn't really have much clue about the Sport trim, and nobody could give me much info on anything other than their truck/SUV lineup. It's not their fault - these cars are rare - but it slightly worries me about the quality of service I would be getting. It's not an issue I'd face with the other brands, I think.

So, now I am a bit conflicted. I thought FS was 100% the car for me, but having test-driven a few others (instead of just comparing specs and feature sheets), I am now less certain.

Just wanted to share! thanks,

TLDR; FS has more legitimate competitors to consider than I anticipated (given my personal list of requirements). But it remains my likely top choice. Are the A-Pillars an issue, or will I get used to them?
I can't speak for how you'll feel about the A-pillars, but I know for me the car is very easy to see out of. Of course, we had owned a newer Taurus (the last generation) before I got my first Fusion, and those were, in my opinion, harder to see out of than the Fusions. I guess it's all relative. Some people get Camaros and love them, but I think those are almost impossible to see out of. So it just is really a personal choice I think.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Couple of things, WRX does sit a little lower (4.9 inches as compared 5.3 stock clearance). WRX has manual transmission, if remember correctly. Those racing seats get old real fast on a long trip.

Your remark on the Infinity, about throttle response speaks for itself.

I agree with Engineer, the FFS will give you no issue on view. Drove a Malibu and a Camaro, as rental a couple of years ago. Chevy's as a whole feel like I am sitting in well.

It is worrisome when you go to a Ford Dealership and you have to tell them how to work on your car. We are a rare breed. It is important to read up on issues with your vehicle and know what you may be walking into. But, that should go with any vehicle you own.

Good luck!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I too did some test drives. I looked at the infinity and it didn't grab me. Almost pulled the trigger on a charger set until I came across the sport. The thing that got it across the line was the smile factor that the others didn't. I still haven't lost the joy.
Living in Canada you'll appreciate the extra ground clearance over the subbie. You'll also find the maintenance costs a bit lower on the Ford also. I have a colleague that had one but sold it after a year as he had a long commute and the wrights wasn't kind on his back.
My dealer knows little of the sport, its just another fusion to them. However I've had it in a few times and they have been able to rectify the issues. The engine is same as F150 and the more common edge sport, suspension is Lincoln based and the rest is essentially a titanium fusion. Only thing you have to do is remind them to torque wheel nuts to 150lb not 100lb. Have to do this everything with anyone touching your wheels.
The AWD in my opinion is outstanding for our conditions in the winter, and combined with the torque of the engine there's nothing that stops it as long as the snows not deeper than the axles. Even then, in really dry powder it'll push through.
The safety features work well. Bothersome if you are playing and trying to get things loose, but in normal driving work as good as any other car in the sector.
Overall you get a lot of features for your dollar. As you've probably worked out, to get everything on a different car is a good 3-5k more (closer to 10k more when buying new in 2017). As you pointed out very few people know this trim exists and I quite like the feeling of flying under the radar.
Visibility I think is comparable to other cars I've owned and driven. They differ a bit in position and width and comes down to personal preference. I personally thought it was good and worked ok with my seating position. You'll get a blind spot no matter what.
Lastly I am happy with my choice as this is a good GT car. It chews up the miles comfortably. Early on I felt the seat bottom was a bit short and I could have done with a bit more support but genuinely don't notice it now.

Bit longer reply than I planned. At the end of the day your shortlist are all good cars, the Sports just a perfect blend of sportiness and comfort. Really depends on what is important to you. Good luck with the purchase but you won't be disappointed with the FFS.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess it's all relative.
yes indeed, I am just coming from my 2003 pontiac which has great view, so it will be an adjustment. Getting last minute jitters, you know? hehe

We are a rare breed.

Good luck!
Indeed, that's why ever since I decided I probably want the Sport, I've joined this forum a year ago and been educating myself as much as possible.

Bit longer reply than I planned. At the end of the day your shortlist are all good cars, the Sports just a perfect blend of sportiness and comfort. Really depends on what is important to you.
Thanks for the long reply, always appreciate seeing others with a similar experience!

·
Registered
15 Posts
really interesting post- loved hearing how each car stacks up against the fusion. im in the same boat- soon need to replace my aging first gen sport and although the newer sport is top of the list, Im still researching and driving other cars. I did want to share that my family owns two older 3.7 liter Q50s and have had great luck. So I have done alot of research on the newer (what i would want) 3.0 Q50 by following the forum for a number of months and i was struck by how many problems people were having with that engine, especially how many people had to replace the turbos. Compared to being on this forum for nearly five years, there SEEM to be far less problems with the 2.7 -i know there were some early problems with seals but i dont remember even hearing about a bad turbo. my perspective though-

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Everyone is going to be a bit different, but I've owned a variety of sedans and coupes over the years and am not a stranger to big sedans. My 2014 SHO was like a living room sofa that ran 12s all day long. The seating was super comfortable, all I Needed were scented candles and the massaging seat option. I could wear a full face racing helmet and not have an issue with head room.

The Fusion Sport is cramped. I cannot sit properly with a racing helmet in the car. I have to drop the seat, recline it, and then lean back (Detroit style) to race it on the track. Super uncomfortable and unsafe. I couldn't even turn my head/helmet in that position. The A-pillar was never a problem. Having driven some armored vehicles, there are some things you can do to see around blind spots like thick a-pillars...

I can't say the Fusion Sport is a very durable car. The tires are too thin and pop at the first sign of trouble. Going to better tires could help, like DWS06.
The WRX was probably the least inspiring car I've driven - I was expecting a fire breathing rally beast but it drove like a Toyota Corolla with a really spongy shifter and lackluster engine/exhaust note.

If you like the Fusion Sport, I recommend looking at a 2017-2020 MKZ 3.0 AWD with the Luxury Package (only available in black). It fixes a lot of the problems with the Fusion, like the Luxury Package LED headlights actually work properly instead of teasing you with white light that goes nowhere in the dark especially when it is raining. You also get a torque vectoring rear differential and the much bigger 3.0 EcoBoost turbochargers. It also comes with slightly thicker tires (245/40R19 vs 235/40R19). Fully tuned, the MKZ 3.0 will flow 55-60 lb/min of airmass versus the 40-44 lb/min with the 2.7 so it is a night and day difference.

I do a lot of driving in the dark in all kinds of weather, and while the SHO's HIDs are sh*t, the Fusion Sport's LEDs are only slightly better sh*t. The 16-19 Explorer factory LED low beams are significantly better, and the MKZ Luxury Package LED headlights are really really good. The 2020-up Escape Titanium also has really good LED headlights. The 2020-up Explorer LEDs are crap for some reason.

If Ford put proper headlights on the SHO, assembled it at a plant not at Chicago, used the truck 3.5 Eco with external water pump, and used the Fusion Sport's PTU (with drain and fill plugs and different gear design), it would have been the perfect sleeper sedan.

·
Registered
754 Posts
If Ford put proper headlights on the SHO, assembled it at a plant not at Chicago, used the truck 3.5 Eco with external water pump, and used the Fusion Sport's PTU (with drain and fill plugs and different gear design), it would have been the perfect sleeper sedan.
I always thought the PTU was a weak point on our cars. Not so much that it'll fail on its own, but certainly if you push the drivetrain beyond stock, I thought people were seeing failures.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I always thought the PTU was a weak point on our cars. Not so much that it'll fail on its own, but certainly if you push the drivetrain beyond stock, I thought people were seeing failures.
The PTU in the Fsport is a different design from the D3/D4 V6 AWD applications and more like the Escape. Haven’t heard of any major issues with our PTUs. The major issues were with the D3/D4 V6 PTUs and I think Ford might have fixed it with the 3rd change of idler gears. I heard a 2018 Explorer owner did a second change of his fluid at 40k miles and it looked clear versus the typical black color we all see. The idler gears were supposedly walking into the casing and I had experienced this with the original 2 pinion Detroit TruTrac differential in my Crown Vic which eventually caused 3 of the 4 side bolts to break inside the pumpkin. They changed the design and ignored those with busted differentials.

I will get a better idea when I change the PTU oil on my 18 Explorer soon.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Well they did add the cooler, and it really doesnt look anything like a PTU in a Escape. They're tiny compared to what's in Sport or any of the larger SUV's. I changed the fluid in mine last oil change I did, and it looked like new, no bad smell either. Being so easy to do, and taking less than a quart, I,m just gonna change it every time I do an oil change from now on.

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Well they did add the cooler, and it really doesnt look anything like a PTU in a Escape. They're tiny compared to what's in Sport or any of the larger SUV's. I changed the fluid in mine last oil change I did, and it looked like new, no bad smell either. Being so easy to do, and taking less than a quart, I,m just gonna change it every time I do an oil change from now on.
The Fusion Sport / Edge Sport / Edge ST PTUs do have a cooler but the cooler and PTUs are a very different design from the V6 D3/D4 platform PTU (CX-9, Edge, MKS, MKT, Explorer, Taurus). The 4-banger Explorer AWD PTU doesn't have an issue, nor does the Escape 2.0 AWD PTUs because they're a different design. The coolers on the Explorer Sport and Taurus SHO PP do nothing to prolong the fluid life. The V6 D3/D4 PTUs that don't have coolers only have a fill plug (no drain plug), and the ones that have coolers only have a drain plug and you're supposed to fill via the temp sensor - most fill via the vent tube.

I can tell you the Fusion Sport PTU is nothing like the PTU in the Taurus and Explorer, the Fusion Sport PTU seems a bit smaller and has drain and fill plugs. The Fusion Sport/Edge ST PTU cooler is also a different design, it sits at the low end with hoses running into it. The D3/D4 PTU cooler is on the side.

I think basically once Ford made their cheapened copy of a Haldex from the early 500 and used them in 07-19, they've had issues with the PTU oil overheating. The PTU oil out of my 2014 SHO at 20k miles was pitch black, but the SHO's RDU looked new. The last running change I heard of the PTU idler gears was cut in June 2016 so I'll find out in my 2018 Explorer when the time comes. I hate using the vacuum pump because I need to use a tiny hose inside the casing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts