Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So we're (at least in my area, SE PA) finally getting a half decent snowfall - the first during the time that I've owned my car.

I like it! I have a few quibbles about the AWD implementation, and I'll get into that later, but the bottom line is that it works. What are your thoughts on the AWD system so far?

This is my first car that has AWD, aside from 4WD SUV's (88 FS Blazer, 02 Durango)

·
Registered
246 Posts
the AWD in this car is pretty clearly calibrated different from other fusions. The 2.0 AWD felt mostly like a fwd car to me. The sport has a much more distinct rearward application of power in almost all conditions, my biggest gripe is that its got open diffs. I've been through a number of snows with it at this point, and it is very easy to rotate and get tail happy even without very excessive power input.

Have fun, and be safe

Reactions: dlm1984

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I spent a good bit of time watching the torque distribution gauge this morning.

It's definitely still a front drive car, but provide some input from the gas pedal to introduce a little wheel spin and it'll keep torque flowing to the rear wheels for a little while. During that time it feels incredibly composed even when plowing through uneven snow. Then it reverts to FWD...

I was impressed how quickly it builds speed with traction control enabled.

My biggest surprise came when I disabled traction control, stepped on the gas and provided some steering input. It gets tail happy! I really didn't think it would allow that! Throw it in Sport mode for even bigger smiles.

My biggest gripes are that there are times where it could be quicker to throw some power rearward. Even better would be a mode that allows continuous power to the rear wheels - based on how much I thought the car improved in snow, it would be rather handy.

It still doesn't change that I'd love to have the RS's torque vectoring set up, but hey, it's better than I expected. Maybe one day we'll figure out a way to retrofit the hardware and controls. If not, we can hope Ford will give us a proper ST one day!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I love how the FFS handles the snow! I just wish we could truly turn off traction control.... Here is a video of me doing some donuts in the snow for the first time (it was back in December). I have always had FWD cars so the most I could ever do was reverse donuts or power slides.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts