Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My drunk 500 mile 2017 Ford Fusion Sport review

So at 500 miles now I feel I have a pretty good idea of what this car is. No one can test drive this car at a dealership and really know what it is because it really doesnt have a personality yet. I think at this point in time I have a good idea of who this car is and what it can do. Also ive been drinking tonight (not driving) so excuse stuff in writing things. So I am going to break this review up into individual sections based on sh!t I want to talk about. For the review I have a base model sport, no sunroof, no lane assist, no touch screen or any other features. Just the 34.5K model with the only mod being a K&N air filter. Enjoy.

My Background - So Im a 32 year old married male with no kids. I grew riding dirt bikes and snowmobiles. When I was 19 years old I put a supercharger on my first car, a 2001 Cavalier Z24. From there I bought a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged which I modified the f*ckout of but eventually got rid of. After that car I bought a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650 motorcycle, it was stolen in 2011. During that time I had a shitty 1999 Jeep Cherokee which I crashed in a snow storm. Afterwards I bought a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While owning this car I bought a 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 in 2013. Up until last week I drove the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Thats my driving/automotive experience.

Build Quality - Sh!t feels good. I cant really describe it other than that. Maybe I havent owned enough high end cars or maybe its just this is the most expensive car ive ever owned. All I can really say is things feel good. From the leather wrapped steering wheel, the solid feel of the door hinges, the feature controls and display unit, the keyless/tochless entry, the automatic seat controls, the dash and just everything else. It feels good, it feels like I am proud to own what is put together. Nothing so far that I have touched in this car makes me think "they could have done a better job with this switch/knob/button."

Audio - I am a pretty huge audio nut. Not an audiophile, but I just like loud quality music. When AC/DC "Back in Black" comes on the radio I want my ears to ring. The Fusion sport is fine at that. Its not the best, Ive had other cars with stock systems that blast louder, thump harder and are all around better. I cant complain about the system, its a good system, but I feel its a little under whelming. I would have liked to see more from Ford in the audio department. My last car a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee had a Boston Audio sound system and was better. My wifes 2012 Mazda 3 has a Bose Audio system that is amazing, this system is just fine.

Interior - I really like the interior. At first I thought the knob shifter was awkward and annoying. A few times I thought I put the car into park but I really put it into drive. It definitely takes some getting used to, but once you are used to it, its just as much a no brainer as vertical stick. The leather interior is nice and is comfortable. The seats feel great, the leather supports you when driving hard and the fabric middle is comfortable for those long drives. The Climate controls are easy and responsive, I dont feel like its a lot of work to find the right setting. The dashboard offers a plethora of information, from the total gallons of gas used, to displaying the exact speed you set your cruise control. The only thing I wish I could see in my dash is the amount of boost (PSI) i can see under load, i know the F150s have this feature and I feel is something that should have bee included in the Fusions. The dual settings driver seat controls make my wife happy and the rear leg room doesnt seem too bad. The trunk has ample space for dead bodies which would make the most homicidal individual happy.

Handling - This is a pretty interesting subject and one I am not fully finished learning. The best way to describe the handling is "confident". Its not a light car and when I swerve the car back and forth quickly you can definitely feel the body/tire roll. However when I put the car hard into a turn, it just holds itself, it holds itself stronger and better that I think the car should. Multiple times now ive gone hard and fast into a corner where I thought for sure I wouldnt be able to hold my line, but I did. I did very easily infact, so much that I was more than surprised by how well the car handled itself. I dont think this vehicle will ever be killing cones at an autocross course, but I think when it comes to putting it through its paces on a back country twisty road, you will be more than happy to give it a little more go.

Acceleration - The big one...The one everyone here cares about. Ive driven a lot of fast vehicles, from dirt bikes to snowmobiles, heavily modified 13 second tuners and 10 second motorcycles. I have a lot of experience with boosted vehicles. Ive supercharged cars, ive turbocharged cars, when I was 12 years old I was racing snowmobiles across frozen lakes at over 120 MPH hour. Ive spent a lot of time at the drag strip and street racing around. I follow the idea that an engine should be broken in hard, for the belief that the high pressure helps force the piston rings harder against the cylinder walls forming a tighter seal. I break in every engine this way, lots of quick redlines and hard pulls.

So my first thoughts while testing driving this car, uninspiring. I wasnt impressed, I didnt think this car was the next 87 GNX or anything to write home about. What I did feel on the test drive was a solid and strong motor that pulled above average for a family sedan. However I was still hooked on this engine. One thing Ive learned is that the potential for a factory boosted motor is far beyond any NA motor. A boosted motor comes with forged internals and the ability to cheaply increase the amount of air going into the engine. Not one but two turbo chargers on this motor was more than enough to convince me that this engine had potential.

I broke my engine in hard. I drove it off the lot with 40 miles and 1 miles down the road when I got onto the Highway I floored it. It pulled hard enough, wasnt giggles fast but it was hard. That entire day I spent going between hard pulls and slow casual driving. As the miles ticked on I could feel the engine getting stronger, each WOT pull getting just a little faster. Maybe I was learning the transmission shift points but more likely was the piston rings were sealing. Piston ring sealing is something that is done within the first 20-200 miles of a new car. After which they are set and wont change. I broke my Cobalt in hard like this, I eventually joined a Cobalt car club, one night while working on a car we had a compression tester. We all (5 of us at the time) tested our engines compression. Most people were around 170-190, which is fine, anything below 160 means problems. Mine was the highest, 210+ across the board. I had that car dynoed at 1500 miles, this was car rated by GM at 205HP but was well known to do 210-220WHP on a Dyno. I put down 236WHP.

So here I am 500 miles into my new Twin Turbo V6 AWD car. I drove it tonight in 70 degree weather and the only thing I can say to describe the acceleration I felt is Violent. Its a weird way to describe it as I am sure most people here feel a little underwhelmed. I personally cant say anything else. Putting the car into sport more and punching it makes me feel like the car wants to jump forward off the ground. It seriously pulls so hard from a dig and even at high way speeds that I get the giggles. Previously the only time I got the giggles was when I would be on my 1000CC bike and punch it and I would literally be holding on for dear life to prevent myself from falling off the back. Now the acceleration is nothing like that, but it definitely is in a class of its own in terms of being in a 3700lb vehicles and doing it. I am used to high HP FWD cars that spin the tires and wheel hop, I am used to high HP RWD motorcyles that lift the front wheel with HP alone, I am not used to AWD Twin Turbo V6 sedans that put every inch of pavement shredding power into accelerating. Maybe I did everything right so far with a breaking in and mods or maybe I got lucky and got one of the "rare" builds off the lot, but all I can say is that I am more than happy with the acceleration and performance of this car. I truly can not wait to see what this car is capable of when a good tune and aftermarket support becomes available.

·
Registered
624 Posts
From now on jayson, you are only allowed to post while drunk, hahaha. Your thoughts were clearly stated even if your mind was not. Nice. And I agree 👍.

·
Registered
150 Posts
jayson, well put, I couldn't even detect any slurred speech!
I agree, I have about 700 miles on mine now and i am convinced the car is getting quicker. I don't know if it's the transmission leaning curve or the 2 full tanks of 93 but I like it more each day! I have owned many cars over the last 30 trips around the sun and usually a few weeks in, they usually impress me less and less as I get used to them and they seem to become "tame". This car seems the opposite to me, I hope it continues to impress me for a while longer!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Fantastic write-up Jayson. Thanks for sharing. And from now on, if you say your drinking, you gotta share what it is! Me, right now, Gentleman Jack.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think you just sold a few more cars Jayson. Thanks for the review!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha, glad it was enjoyed. I have the stereo that comes with the Ford Fusion Sport. I dont know if the touch screen came with an upgraded stereo, but I dont have the touch screen.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks for the review. As other have stated, it seems very accurate. I'm at about 1000 miles. Handling and acceleration are excellent. Acceleration in S is different now than brand new. I, too, found it lame on a test drive and now cannot wait to drive it.

Let's hope the reviewers get their hands on one that's been broken in like the OP. That way we can get a real review. We'll see.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Nice Write-up... I too had a similar break-in. I got under the boost and thrashed a few WOTs on my way home from the dealer. I can definitely agree that this car is some serious power that is just waiting for a little longer leash.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Ha, glad it was enjoyed. I have the stereo that comes with the Ford Fusion Sport. I dont know if the touch screen came with an upgraded stereo, but I dont have the touch screen.
Gotcha. Yes the touchscreen is an upgraded stereo. I'm interested to see what the real-world difference is between the base factory and the 401A stereo systems, because the 12-speaker Sony system sounds better than any factory system I've listened to.

·
Registered
177 Posts
There's pretty good research on the internet that an aggressive break in does a better job of seating the rings than the 'gentle breakin' strategy.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
There's pretty good research on the internet that an aggressive break in does a better job of seating the rings than the 'gentle breakin' strategy.
Yup and my own experience now with breaking in 2 motors has really confirmed it for me. When people always use the term "factory freak" in regards to a car that seems to be making more HP than other models with the same engine, I think this is the difference. In my Cobalt when I had car members in it with the same car and even more mods than me, they would always comment about how much harder my car seemed to pull then theirs. Those people were usually the ones who would break in a motor by never going above 4,000 RPMs for the first 500 miles, then never reaching redline until they reached 1,000 miles.

The absolute truth is that at one point in time a gentle break it may have been needed. But with todays modern machining and manufacturing processing, most of that isnt true anymore. In a modern engine only a small handful of items on an engine actually break in anymore, the biggest one is the piston rings being seated properly.

I really like this guys article.

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

"Now, imagine if the engine is run in the garage. There is no load on the engine, so the rings are just going up and down "along for the ride". Only a small portion of their surface is actually contacting the cylinder wall. The ring area that does contact the cylinder wears down the roughness of the honing pattern on the cylinder walls. Once the roughness of the cylinder is gone, the rings stop wearing into the cylinder. If this happens before the entire ring has worn into the cylinder and sealed, you will have a slow engine no matter how hard it gets ridden after that point. "

·
Registered
78 Posts
There was another article that someone posted last week about the same sort of process. I opened it on my phone but I can't find it now, does anyone still have that?

·
Registered
331 Posts
The owner of the shop where the dyno run was done asked me if I wanted him to take it easy on the car since it had 600 miles on it... Told him to seat the rings, pedal to the metal!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts