Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport 2.7L TT AWD
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies in advance for my long winded story. Previously I had the UP FMIC installed about two years ago. Which allows room to keep the Radar for Collision Avoidance.

About two weeks ago, when I started my car I got a warning of "Collison Avoidance Not Available". I then discovered that Cruise Control could not be turned on. Also, under the Driver Assist Menu on the left cluster, the Cruise Control was grayed out. So, I unable to select Normal Cruise Control.

I scheduled an appointment with one of my local dealerships For Wednesday. Returned my tune to stock and took it in for a Diagnostic $189.00 plus tax. Tech stated that he tried to reset the module, but that it must be out of alignment. He wanted to know if I had been in a accident or hit anything that would have damaged my front end. I told him no. The only thing that had changed on the front end, was the installation of the aftermarket FMIC. He immediately jumped on that and said they failed to properly install the module when they were done. I raised the BS flag and told him that the installation was two years ago and the problem only started the week before. His answer to that was that his only choice was to remove my bumper cover and he would have to keep the car for 3-4 days to wait for parts. I am now in disbelief at the words coming out of this guys mouth. 3-4 days to wait for parts? What parts? You haven't found anything wrong yet. Oh, the Writer kicks in with the bumper removal is a 4 hour job and would cost $650.00 + tax. I tell them not to do anything else and I am on my way to pick the car up.

Fast forward to Saturday. At home I take the bumper cover off. Note to those going to do this themselves, the two bolts on the driver side fender well are Bi*** to get at due to the added vent for the transmission cooler. Take me about 45 minutes due the fore mentioned bolts. Job would probably been easier if I had removed the wheels. But, I just turned the wheels to access the fender wells.

Once I have the cover off, I check the Module and Mounting Arm to see if they were loose. They were not. I unplugged the wiring harness from it and reattached. Nothing looks out of place. The Module mounting arm which is "L" shaped was actually touching the FMIC in one spot, but I saw no sign of rubbing or any damage. The arm is mounted to the bumper with two bolts and a stud, on the short leg and a bolt that is attached back along the frame along the driver side. The Module is mounted to the arm with three studs with counter sunk nuts. The Module did look like it was not quite perpendicular to the front of the car. I decided to take a shot in the dark. I loosened the bolt (closer to the center of the car) mounting the arm to the bumper and was able to pull the arm toward me about a 1/4 of an inch forward, away from the engine. I tightened down. This was in the hopes of making the Module more perpendicular to the car. Reattached the bumper cover (20 minutes). Cranked the car. I still had the "Collision Avoidance" error, plus a check engine light. Took my XCT and checked the code. It was the Ambient Air Sensor. Turned the car off and restarted the CEL went away, but still had the Collison Avoidance Error.

Well, disheartened, I decided to go about my planned business for the day. I get out on the road and notice my AC is not cooling. The outside temps is registering 50 degrees (it is in the 80's). I was about 20 minutes into my drive and about to turn around and head back to my house, when the temp jumps to 84 and the AC starts working again. Whewww! I was dreading taking that bumper off again. I made several stops on my trip and each time I start the car the Collison Avoidance warning comes on just like all the times before.

Now, today. I went out to my car, heading to parent's house for Mom's Day. Noticed that the "Collison Avoidance" warning did not come on. I immediately went to the Driver's Assistance menu and was able to set to Normal and made my trip with no issues. On the return trip, I figured I would give the Adaptive Cruise Control a try. So, went to Driver's Assist and set to Adaptive Cruise Control. Made my return trip with no issues. Adaptive Cruise works fine now.
I hope this is the end of this problem.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Any time weird totally unrelated stuff happens to these cars I immediately think, “Battery?”

How long since you replaced?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
About 9 months ago.

Reactions: 65dustin

·
Registered
45 Posts
How often do you drive the car, and for how long?

The battery is sensitive to undercharging, and due to a large number of systems requiring voltage even when car is off, the batteries get quite the work out.

Get the battery tested AND verify the alternator is pumping out enough juice as well.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The detector is sensitive to dirt and crud on the grill. Perhaps it was dirty.

I seem to remember some early posts on the FMIC install that is also sensitive to angle and position from its calibration. Can't remember exactly. Perhaps it had moved a bit over the past 2 years. I also seem to remember people recommending putting a piece of foam or rubber at the back between sensor and frame to prevent a rub from the flex. Apparently its a tight gap. Maybe worth looking at related threads and having a look. Sorry I can't remember exact details and might turn out to be a goose chase but thought I'd mention it. Few weird things have stopped working for me but turning the car off and restarting a minute later had fixed it.
Hoping its fixed itself and doesn't come back. Good luck.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How often do you drive the car, and for how long?

The battery is sensitive to undercharging, and due to a large number of systems requiring voltage even when car is off, the batteries get quite the work out.

Get the battery tested AND verify the alternator is pumping out enough juice as well.
I appreciate the input. This car is my daily driver and gets about 40 Highway miles a day on my commute. My XCT, shows an avg 14.3 volts on the Alternator. It was definitely not a battery are voltage issue. I believe it was the minor angle adjustment that fixed the problem.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The detector is sensitive to dirt and crud on the grill. Perhaps it was dirty.

I seem to remember some early posts on the FMIC install that is also sensitive to angle and position from its calibration. Can't remember exactly. Perhaps it had moved a bit over the past 2 years. I also seem to remember people recommending putting a piece of foam or rubber at the back between sensor and frame to prevent a rub from the flex. Apparently its a tight gap. Maybe worth looking at related threads and having a look. Sorry I can't remember exact details and might turn out to be a goose chase but thought I'd mention it. Few weird things have stopped working for me but turning the car off and restarting a minute later had fixed it.
Hoping its fixed itself and doesn't come back. Good luck.
Fozzy, I agree. I think that over the past two years, the module gradually moved out of alignment. I hoping I it will stay put for at least another two years.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You can recalibrate it with Forscan by just driving it, its a diagnostic feature.

Reactions: Flew and Engineer

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So far, so good. Been a week and no more warning lights.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
So far, so good. Been a week and no more warning lights.
I think you probably nailed it with that radar unit shifting. I know what you mean about things that go away on their own though, any type of intermittent problem like that always makes me nervous! I think your hypothesis is good though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts