Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Those of you who have driven or owned Mustangs, how would you say our FFS compares? And what about the different levels of Mustang, for instance GT, Mach 1, Ecoboost, and the various packages like the Premium package?

I'm curious because I'm just wondering how that would be as a potential replacement some day for an FFS. I am very interested in hearing about performance (I'm on here after all!), but I'm also wondering about comfort, luxury, handling, tech/convenience, pretty much everything.

How much do they differ? What are the similarities, in your experience? What are the differences? Is a Premium GT or Mach 1 as comfortable for a daily driver or long road trip? Also, with only two wheel drive, how much do you give up in the real world by losing AWD?

Also, I know at least some of the higher-end Mustangs come with Magneride suspensions. How would you compare that with an FFS with Lincoln Drive Control enabled? Is it as smooth? Does it change modes the same way?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm a bit spoiled by my FFS though so my standards are pretty high now. I'll probably keep this car a long time, but I'm interested in hearing whether the Mustang might be a viable option some day in the future.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I owned two in the past, 2004 V6 and 2015 EcoBoost. Very different from Fusion, the RWD plus manual stick gives you more driving vibe. I don't know too much about the newer generations with 10 auto trans and the potential EV version, I mean, from what I understand if you truly need performance or drag stang needs a lot of mods.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is an apples and oranges comparison. I've owned mustangs for over 40 years, highlighted by my 82 GT, 03 Cobra 10th anniversary, and now my GT 350.
I loved my 92 SHO 5spd, and the Fusion Sport is reminiscent of it. The Sport is a clear evolution to a solid platform, in the same way that the S550 is from the old Fox platform.
The utilitarian uses of the Fusion eclipse those of the Mustang. But, in the same way the Fusion loses badly to the Mustang when you discuss performance potential. And, the aftermarket support cannot be compared.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
281 Posts
It is an apples and oranges comparison.
I agree 100% . I have owned only one Mustang , a '13 Premium V6 auto . It was a good solid vehicle and we enjoyed it. Never did any performance upgrades , but did some appearance upgrades. It was a good looking car.

As for rear wheel drive performance vehicles all my experience was in the GM F-body. My last one , a well optioned '00 Z28 , had without a doubt the most performance and suspension upgrades , most of which could be applied to todays GT or GT350/500 . Subframe connectors , oversize swaybars, poly bushings , 3.55 gearing , stall , cam , heads , headers, intake , pulleys , performance tuning, and more turned that thing into a snarling beast that caused mucho problemas for me with the local police. Even at a mature 46 years old, I had to let it go.

In no way could the above car , or even a Mustang GT with similiar or even less mods , could be compared to my FFS. My FFS is a smooth yet pedestrian ride with ample amount of power and nice tech options. I even added a tune to it to make a bit more raw , but it stills pales in comparison to the grittiness and raw power of a V8 powered rear wheel drive vehicle. But as a daily driver , the FFS is far superior in ride and comfort. That is why I chose it as my "Last Hot Rod". Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Registered
134 Posts
Eng, I'd be hard pressed to rebut any of the previous posts. So let me give you a few bullet points:
- I've lined up against plenty of 2-door pony cars at the strip. A lot of them (win or lose) have complimented my FFS at the stealth speed it has. There's something to be said about that AWD launch!
  • If you like tinkering w/your steed, the Mustang does have a plethora of after-market stuff available. So it's funner in this regard.
  • I've owned 3 fox bodies. loved them. I wish I still had them.
  • if you're a semi-family man, the FFS is an excellent compromise. Get the younguns to their events w/o being embarrassed.
  • lastly, I just picked up a Mach-E. It has gobs of low-end torque. Something I've aspired to obtain w/my FFS. I've done some considerable modding to my FFS, but it doesn't compare to the Mach-E. I know. I know. Like someone mentioned in a previous post....apples & oranges. But holy mother of God does it move out! Although, admittedly, not much to speak of on the top end.
  • Oh, final lastly, I kept the FFS. Not fully sold on the plug & play concept just yet.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Day to day utility is crap in any mustang. The FS is almost the perfect DD for an enthusiast.
Even faster cars with more pedigree are not as good, as the visibility (the bad kind) you get in a Fusion is ZERO!!!!!!!
With just minor susp mods, tires, and tune, you can push this car in all kinds of weather way harder
than most would believe.

Performance of the Stang though, when modified with things that are fairly easy to do (NOT cheap by any means),
there is zero comparison (except the holeshot on the street, a tuned fusion will always win, especially 0-30 where a tuned
FS is as fast as a Model 3 perf).

You can easily fit 10 or 11" rims with 305/315's on an 11 and up Mustang. Many relatively simple setups
on mustangs pull 1.2+ g's on a road course.

Power is holy motha. My blown stang is the only car I've ever owned that scares me a little bit (traps 130).
The sensation, of exhaust tone, having to pedal 700+ Hp out of the hole, the intake noise with an open
air cleaner and blower, blower whine, auto shifts that chirp the tires hard between gears, and once
you get to 30 and can fully get into it, the car yaws. Hard to describe, but you don't feel like you are actually
going straight ahead, even when you are.

Don't know what I will get when I get rid of Fusion (which hopefully may be never), but it won't be a Mustang.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The more I see, the more convinced I am that I made the right decision getting this car. I do still think a Mustang would be fun, but my car is way more than I need performance-wise, and honestly my wife doesn't even like being in the car when it's in Sport mode so I think a Mustang would probably be going too far. I imagine the ride quality of a Mustang would be at least as connected to the road as the FFS is in Sport mode, so that would never fly long-term. And really, I do enjoy the smooth ride myself, a lot of the time. If I'm just on the highway cruising, I like the softer suspension, quietness, and so forth.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A car is what you make it. You own it because it is what you want, and if you want it bad enough you work around it's deficiencies. I owned Mustangs for years as my only car, same when I had my 928. They were everyday drivers, 12 months a year in Northeastern Ohio, and Northern Virginia. I didn't, and won't complain because I had what I enjoyed and made it work.
"Can'ts" are usually just excuses by someone who is not really willing to put forth the effort.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts