Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package ; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

I figured I would write this up here since I figure some of you might be interested in hearing my experience with the new Mustang. My grandpa if some of you may remember wrecked his 2013 Audi A4 a month or two ago when he happened upon a deer. Since then he has been driving his old F150 and Suzuki SUV looking for a new vehicle. He very much wanted to go electric but didn't want to spend all that much.

We went to a Volkswagen dealer to test drive an E-Golf, which he was thinking wouldn't be bad. He used to have a Golf and loved it before his Audi but sold it off when VW had their emissions scandal. Needless to say, I think we were unimpressed. The Golf E wasn't a bad car, but it was underpowered, made too much torque for only FWD, had too little range, and its lack of AWD would've eventually presented an issue since he lives in Park City, UT. He was thinking he may pick it up after all, but 16k was the mark they gave him.

We next went to check out a 2015 Audi Q5 with 88k miles. I was personally pleasantly surprised at the vehicle. It was very comfortable, quiet, and rode a bit better than my FuSpo. I wasn't very concerned with reliability, as its drivetrain was almost identical to his previous A4, which had been very reliable. I could tell he was enamoured with it, and when everything important checked out he bought it for cash at 17.4k.

Now, we had both been thinking of potentially looking at the new Mustang Mach E for him since he wanted to go electric, and now that he is in his 60's wants a taller car. The biggest turn off for him was the sticker price, as anything over 25k was more than he wanted to spend. Regardless, after purchasing his Q5 we decided to jaunt down to our local dealer to check one out. They were the only dealer in SLC to have one, and when we rolled up it became apparent why.

The particular model they had on hand was a Pearl White Premium with the upgraded battery and AWD, with a sticker price of 55k. It was an absolutely beautiful vehicle, and I liked its looks just as much as my Fusion (as well as being a bit jealous of its awesome sequential turn signals. We took it for a short test drive and were thoroughly impressed. The first, most obvious thing with the Mustang Mach E was the power. As soon as we pulled out of the dealership my grandpa put it to the floor and the car took off.

Now the numbers say that the Mach E isn't much or even at all faster than my stock FuSpo, but goddamn it felt faster, Immediately after he let off the throttle, my 64-year-old grandfather (known to be a particularly stoic man) and I looked at one another and burst out laughing. The electric power that the car provides is such a phenomenal treat, and for only the mid-level trim is very impressive.

Afterwards, he let me drive and I got some better personal impressions. Firstly, the seating position is comfortable and I think it would be good for long drives. The digital cluster and head unit are really cool, but he admonished the "stuck on" nature of the screens, something that doesn't particularly bug me but I understand irks others. As far as their performance, they were silky smooth. The navigation, in particular, impressed me seeing as how you could make any change you wanted without perceptible lag. Definitely on par with Tesla. However, they are very advanced, and as a tech-centric 18-year-old it was almost a bit overwhelming even for me!

As to the driving dynamics, my time was rather limited but I got some good impressions. The steering is much looser than in the FuSpo but not bad at all, the car was in "Unbridled" as well so this is as firm as the steering got. The steering wheel in the Premium trim was also a little... squishy? Not a bad thing but noticeable, as well as its more rubber/foam-like texture. The brakes were soft as well, not nearly as sensitive as my FuSpo with much more travel as well. The regen brakes were also noticeable, but not bad at all. You might very rarely use the brakes in the Mach E. The suspension was good for normal struts, firm but not too bad. In between Sport and Normal in our Fusions. The acceleration was the big area of notice though, the pedal had a lot of travel and you had to dig in a little to feel the power, but once you had your foot to the floor that car moved. No drama, just speed.

Ultimately, the interior quality was good but not fantastic for 55k. My grandpa and I after having just bought the Q5 had a good comparison. The Mach E is very minimalist, but not quite so much as a Tesla Model 3 or Y. The material choices were all good, but there were a lot of synthetic materials rather than leathers. The full-length sunroof was impressive and looked fancy, but until the aftermarket comes out with a shade you will certainly cook in it. The rear seats we didn't sit in but they looked nice. The audio system was a bit of a letdown, considering the B&O tag. Ironically enough, my grandfathers Q5 was also equipped with a B&O sound system, which was very good, probably a little bit better than my FuSpo. The Mach E however, was somehow worse to my ears. The bass wasn't as punchy and the system seemed less rich.

In conclusion, however, my grandfather admitted that had he not already bought the Q5, he may have actually bought the Mustang. Similarly to our cars I think, the Mustang Mach E is a good car that is made great by the addition of simple power. Being able to have a pull and grin like a 10-year-old whenever you want to is intoxicating, and I have no doubt in my mind that regardless of the hater's opinions, this car is worthy of the Mustang badge. I would have preferred more time to test it on the highway and see its handling characteristics more, but I am not a car reviewer and was hungry.

Our conclusion is that in a few years my grandpa will sell the Q5 and look into an older Mach E. Hopefully by then the market will have returned to normalcy, and the depreciation will have brought the car to a more affordable level. Unfortunately, all things being equal, 55k on a brand new car vs. 17k on a used car is a very large gap that will not be filled by the cheapness of electricity, especially now that my grandpa has retired and doesn't drive as much. Hopefully, the electric car market can continue to become more affordable in the future, and when I have a better salary in a few years and maybe want another car in addition to my FuSpo, a Mach E can make the shortlist for me.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Great read, man. You have an excellent writing style and a fun personality in your writing for how young you are. Hope you’re considering it for a career or side-biz. Turn this into a voiceover and add some iPhone shots of a Mach-E and you’ve got a killer review I know would get views on YouTube.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Glad he got the car situation figured out. I'm eager to get my hands on the performance version of the mach e-stang.

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Registered
443 Posts
Enjoyed this very much.
If I had a grandson. He could take lessons from you!

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Registered
116 Posts
Dark, nice job. I think any car mag (if they still existed) would hire you. Until your evaluation I heard nothing but negativity regarding the Mach-E...glad to hear from an unbiased individual for a change. Great job!....(& not because you had some positive things to say about it)

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great read, man. You have an excellent writing style and a fun personality in your writing for how young you are. Hope you’re considering it for a career or side-biz. Turn this into a voiceover and add some iPhone shots of a Mach-E and you’ve got a killer review I know would get views on YouTube.
I appreciate it! I have considered it before, but the car reviewer scene is pretty full on YouTube and there are some really great guys there already, in fact, I watch quite a few of them which probably has helped shape my writing style as well. Regardless, thank you very much.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad he got the car situation figured out. I'm eager to get my hands on the performance version of the mach e-stang.
I think once the GT comes out next year, I will probably go down for a test drive. The thing seems too crazy to miss.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dark, nice job. I think any car mag (if they still existed) would hire you. Until your evaluation I heard nothing but negativity regarding the Mach-E...glad to hear from an unbiased individual for a change. Great job!....(& not because you had some positive things to say about it)
Thanks for your response. I too wish car magazines still existed in their old form, but there are lots of reasons they ended up going the way of the dino.

Regardless, the Mustang Mach E is a great car in all respects, and honestly is the only serious contender to the Telsa Model Y I have seen yet. The VW I.D4 was meant to compete, but having seen some reviews it seems to me that its too small, not sporty enough, and has a name even more infuriatingly confusing than the Mustangs IMO. Hopefully if Ford can continue to get and keep prices down on the Mustang Mach E's, they will do very well with them.

I also forgot to mention in my review that the front truck (frunk) actually has a drainplug on the bottom, so you can fill it with ice and keep food and drinks cool as well. Just a neat little feature.

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport Ecoboost AWD
42 Posts
Thanks for your response. I too wish car magazines still existed in their old form, but there are lots of reasons they ended up going the way of the dino.

Regardless, the Mustang Mach E is a great car in all respects, and honestly is the only serious contender to the Telsa Model Y I have seen yet. The VW I.D4 was meant to compete, but having seen some reviews it seems to me that its too small, not sporty enough, and has a name even more infuriatingly confusing than the Mustangs IMO. Hopefully if Ford can continue to get and keep prices down on the Mustang Mach E's, they will do very well with them.

I also forgot to mention in my review that the front truck (frunk) actually has a drainplug on the bottom, so you can fill it with ice and keep food and drinks cool as well. Just a neat little feature.
DarkAngel:

Nice writing style, spelling and coherent thoughts. I considered the Mach-E to trade for my FFS. The local dealership is undergoing changes in staff, and is mostly focused on F150s. They had one Mach-E demonstrator, but it wasn't for sale.

I went for a Buick Envision Essence, since the dealership has been acquired by a St. Louis corporation, along with the local GMC, Subaru, Honda and BMW franchises. The Envision has the same dimensions as the Mach-E. Power train I bought is AWD with a 2.0L I4 turbo. It's no where near the FFS performance. I traded due to my health (stage 4 cancer) which made it very painful to sit in the driver's seat for any length of time. It's a 36 month lease for $192.52 per month. Not bragging, just stating a fact. I don't expect to outlive the lease term.

The newest issue of C&D has a "comparison" between the Mach-E and a Tesla Model Y, if you're interested.

·
Registered
60 Posts
@mastadon27 best wishes to you, sir. If you ever wanna chat, I’m sure the community will echo me when I say we’re here for you. Positive vibes your way in dealing with a difficult situation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts