Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been in contact with Dave at MRT and after some discussions with him I wanted to ask the forum members what they like/dislike about the MRT exhaust system and see if there is any suggestions comments tips improvements .

·
Registered
706 Posts
It's a muffler delete, and from what I've read it's kinda loud. I'm going for a Borla, but it's double the money too I know, have heard a couple sound bites and like it.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would you consider it if they added mufflers and the cost was more cost effective then the Borla unit ?

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been unable to find any dyno info for the exhaust and I see the 30 pound weight savings , my question is why is this system not more popular there are only 2 companies that make exhaust for the FFS

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an opportunity to test the MRT exhaust with dyno time

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's a muffler delete, and from what I've read it's kinda loud. ...
It drones horrible in city driving. I have one in my attic that spent about 24 hours on my car before it was too much for me. That's 24 clock hours, not 24 hours of driving.

Should probably sell it, but I've been debating adding some small resonators to it to see if that's more like the Borla system (but would probably cost as much as the MRT system in the first place).

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RBX do you have any other exhaust mods ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
No... mine was stock for stock. I have no intention of tracking my car (I just wanted better sound), so I probably won't actually try again. But at this point, I wouldn't change unless I can hear a mod in person. Clips on the internet aren't accurate enough for me to justify spending money... and it's not the easiest thing in the world to get around someone else's modded Fusion, because there aren't that many (other than the ones who frequent this forum, and are all over the country).

I believe those with the Borla system have stated that they've not experienced the drone of the MRT, but that is a different solution, and more expensive than I can justify (unless I win the lottery, or just stop caring so much about where I spend money).

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RBX I can understand that , this is why I have started this discussion to find out what the forum members think of the system and see what suggestions you have .

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had the MRT exhaust & had 0 complaints. I actually enjoyed the exhaust tone. Other than the MRT the rest of the exhaust was stock at the time. It was also nice that the piping was 2.5 inch instead of the 2.25 inch piping the Borla has. For an axleback Borla is severely overpriced IMO especially because it's stock piping size.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seems to me there should be a option to add on mufflers . currently my exhaust is stock with rear muffler removed and turn down pipes at rear axle like the fox body mustangs used to do

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have been unable to find any dyno info for the exhaust and I see the 30 pound weight savings , my question is why is this system not more popular there are only 2 companies that make exhaust for the FFS
This is a loaded question IMO. I could go in depth with my response but to save myself the hassle of typing a full page response IMO it boils down to most of the people that do exhaust mods not understanding the point & expecting major gains when it's not realistic. Prime example: look at the exhaust setups on this site.....A majority of the systems have terrible bends...stay same size of piping...have shitty welds...use crappy materials & go cheap on the parts & then wonder why their exhaust sounds terrible / lack performance

·
Registered
204 Posts
Seems to me there should be a option to add on mufflers . currently my exhaust is stock with rear muffler removed and turn down pipes at rear axle like the fox body mustangs used to do
If you're just doing the muffler delete & go with the MRT axleback & the rest of the exhaust is stock IMO there's no need for mufflers to be added. The exhaust sounds great & isn't loud or have a bad drone. However if you "must" add mufflers that can be done at any reputable exhaust shop.

Personally I'd also recommend welding the MRT on instead of using the clamps it comes with to avoid any type of exhaust leak & raspiness that may be a result of the exhaust leak

·
Registered
706 Posts
Would you consider it if they added mufflers and the cost was more cost effective then the Borla unit ?
Long as they use good quality mufflers, say Magna flow 304 stainless ones. Big issue is space, we both know there's not a lot back there. I think Borla did a nice job with there's but the 900 + price tag is hard to swallow for sure. I think if MRT could come up with something around 600 bucks they would sell, but how many people are gonna by a after market exhaust ?

·
Registered
204 Posts
@Kester50 you could chime in on this topic since you bought my MRT setup. I know the drone was something we discussed during our conversation. Share your thoughts & opinions on the MRT exhaust

·
Registered
204 Posts
Long as they use good quality mufflers, say Magna flow 304 stainless ones. Big issue is space, we both know there's not a lot back there. I think Borla did a nice job with there's but the 900 + price tag is hard to swallow for sure. I think if MRT could come up with something around 600 bucks they would sell, but how many people are gonna by a after market exhaust ?
Space is not an issue - you could run dual 3inch piping all the way if you so chose to.....you just need to have someone who is good with exhaust fabrication

·
Registered
204 Posts
There's plenty of people in the market for aftermarket exhaust options the problem is more of those said people not being willing to pay for quality work/parts. They'd rather go to the corner muffler spot & have the work done for $200-$300 & then wonder why the exhaust now sounds like trash

·
Registered
41 Posts
I made my own "MRT Axle-Back" aka just chopped the muffler and replaced it with straight tubing, and yea, it's pretty damn loud and the drone is very noticeable. But thats exactly what I was going for, I thought about doing a cutout set up right before the resonator but wasn't sure how well everything would hold up during winter so I held off. Now that I've had it for a while I think I might go and add some mufflers, as I want to go back to the sleeper style a little more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I like the MRT exhaust. Definitely took some getting used to, it has a pretty solid drone around 1800rpms, but lower rpms and higher rpms sound perfectly fine to me. At warm idle you can honestly hardly hear it to me. When I start the car in the morning via FordPass I can definitely feel it rumble the walls for the first 5-10 seconds on a cold start tho. I just finished up a 6hr trip to the beach last weekend there and back with my girlfriend and her 2yr old daughter and her daughter napped literally the whole time and was able to watch/hear her DVD player strapped to the headrests so if a 2yr old isn’t complaining, I can’t be complaining lol

1 - 20 of 83 Posts