Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
I got the same thing, but mine was only fiddy bux.

Reactions: Oreo and ike

·
Registered
405 Posts
If you are going to make the thread, post the video! Otherwise yeah, that sounds like absolute ****, who the **** thought that sounded good?

·
Registered
140 Posts
yeah, not a huge fan of the exhaust note either. I wonder if an X-pipe would help with the raspy tones?

sadly, I don't think we'll ever have something that sounds all that 'great'. The 2.7 is a super small displacement v6

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
sadly, I don't think we'll ever have something that sounds all that 'great'. The 2.7 is a super small displacement v6
I believe this is the reality. I don't think it will be possible to get this small engine to sound like a mean muscle car like I would hope.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sounds just like the Focus ST with an aftermarket exhaust...that just my 2 cents! but I don't think it's hateful, I'd buy it but I'll stick to the stock until a few others come out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ironically, I think it actually sounds more fitting for the fusion. Much louder than stock, but not obnoxious.
I have this kit on my Fusion I spoke directly with MRT before I bought it and asked why they didn't do mufflers. They said they tried mufflers but it sounded just like stock does. To me it sounds awesome in person the video makes it sound way different. I think if the large resonator was deleted and you had mufflers it would make a difference but in keeping the resonator it's pointless to do mufflers. IMHO

·
Registered
103 Posts
I like the sound of the Edge Sport exhaust system. The Fusion Sport system strikes me as a bit too loud in the video.

I think whatever axle-back system I decide on will include performance mufflers of some sort. I'll probably wait a bit to see what comes out since we are in deep freeze mode now in Central Ohio.

Reactions: Bmckee40

·
Registered
76 Posts
I believe this is the reality. I don't think it will be possible to get this small engine to sound like a mean muscle car like I would hope.
Agree, small displacement = small exhaust note.
A V6 (with 3 exhaust strokes per revolution) does not and cannot sound like a V8 (with 4 exhaust strokes per revolution) .
If you want the fantastic sound of a muscle car V8, your going to need a V8 to start with.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Agree, small displacement = small exhaust note.
A V6 (with 3 exhaust strokes per revolution) does not and cannot sound like a V8 (with 4 exhaust strokes per revolution) .
If you want the fantastic sound of a muscle car V8, your going to need a V8 to start with.
yup... there is no getting around physics. I've heard some of the 3.5's and they can get semi-throaty, but it ultimately still sounds like a 6

With that said... a small displacement v6 can still sound really good! But it will never sound like a v8. This c300 sounds fantastic IMO. Not terribly loud (or it doesn't seem very loud) but has a nice mean/aggressive sound to it.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
There are so many factors that go into what makes the exhaust sound the way it does beyond cylinder count and exhaust layout that its almost impossible to compare them. Firing order, crank configuration, bore/stroke ratio, displacement, cam, etc.

Putting a Maserati exhaust on an Ecoboost Ford wont make it sound like a Maserati. Just something to keep in mind.

Reactions: ike

·
Super Moderator
1,586 Posts
That exhaust on the Edge Sport is the first 2.7L with an exhaust that I've liked. Everything else has sounded too "street racer" to me. I'd like something just a little louder, I like that our cars are sleepers and I'd want the exhaust to keep it that way until I gun it. 6's can definitely sound nice, the old Fusion & Edge Sports were great! I don't expect the sound of a Mustang, but I wished the companies making exhausts for the 2.7's would tune out a little more of the high-tones.

·
Registered
140 Posts
There are so many factors that go into what makes the exhaust sound the way it does beyond cylinder count and exhaust layout that its almost impossible to compare them. Firing order, crank configuration, bore/stroke ratio, displacement, cam, etc.
Yup... you can't fool physics. Our snails also affect the exhaust note in a significant way that you can't equally compare it to an NA engine. With that said, I do think that looking at other 'good' sounding v6 setups is a great place to start though. So far most of the exhausts I've heard on the 2.7 sound somewhat 'meh', but there also hasn't been any real experimentation to my knowledge (X/H pipes, swapping our resonator/muffler combos/etc)

It seems like all of the f150 guys are looking for the v8 rumble, which they'll never get, and is a far cry from what a sedan like the fusion should sound like anyway.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Once i get to that point, i plan to have a middle section added to make an h pipe. Not sure if it will be before or after the resonator, but that will help with a little deeper sound.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts