Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, tried looking around the forums to learn more about the 93 Unleashed tune. Seems like a solid performance boost for a decent price so I am strongly considering it in the future. I currently have a 2017 ffs with about 17000 miles on it. I bought it used last year and it is bare bones stock unless the clean carfax or the dealership is hiding some work done on it.
Anyways, I know f-all about tuning and physically working on cars, so I have one primary concern. Do we know how the tune works long-term on the fusion sports? Will it lead to further long-term wear and tear noticeable beyond the stock depreciation? Basically I am trying to get a gauge of how the tune will affect the car long-term years down the road. I know driving habits will play a large role in the depreciation of the engine, transmission and such. I do enjoy accelerating fast sometimes but I don't drive her hard daily. I have been running it stock ever since I bought it and always filling 93 octane.
Partially I am looking for assurance that nothing significantly damaging will come from the tune, as I am 19 living with my parents which I will have to somewhat convince them to be OK with me installing this, as they technically have the title although I pay for it, ridicule if you want lol.
Thanks all and looking forward to insight.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I’ve got 117,000+ on my 2017. Had a new engine installed by Ford at ~13,000 and I installed a Livernois 93 tune at ~17,000. Been drag racing it since I bought it, but just last year got really regular at the track. Switched to Unleashed 93 in March of this year. I personally do not believe adding any “over the counter” 93 octane tune alone, and driving like a responsible person (with occasional lapses of maturity for a quick thrill) will do any harm whatsoever to the life of the car. If you saw how and where I drive my car, you’d be completely comfortable with what you’ve got planned.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve got 117,000+ on my 2017. Had a new engine installed by Ford at ~13,000 and I installed a Livernois 93 tune at ~17,000. Been drag racing it since I bought it, but just last year got really regular at the track. Switched to Unleashed 93 in March of this year. I personally do not believe adding any “over the counter” 93 octane tune alone, and driving like a responsible person (with occasional lapses of maturity for a quick thrill) will do any harm whatsoever to the life of the car. If you saw how and where I drive my car, you’d be completely comfortable with what you’ve got planned.
Thanks for the response and the clarity. Other question, do you typically use the paddle shifters when you drive? Might be in the minority but as I mentioned don’t know a ton about cars in that I can’t drive manually so I haven’t touched the paddles and strictly drive automatic. I would imagine the tune is quite responsive to automatic driving?

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
I really liked my 93 tune from unleashed nothing but good things to say about it .

·
Registered
634 Posts
I’ve said on this forum before and I still believe that Ford’s paddle shifters and the associated transmission programming are a crime against humanity! Ha!
IMO the “automatic” programming in Sport mode is pretty good for what is essentially a mid-level fleet car doing an impression of a sport sedan . It rev matches, downshifts appropriately on heavy braking and throttle inputs, up shifts on time. There’s several ways to run it; in “D” it’s economy minded but not lazy, in “S” it’s snappier and holds gears longer, but you can also put it in “S”, paddle into 1st gear, then let it upshift itself when it hits the rev limiter. You’ll have to manually downshift thereafter, but it will handle the up shifts. It’s a fun little option, good for those occasional lapses in maturity for a quick thrill I mentioned! Haha!

·
Registered
618 Posts
I bought my 13 2.0 with 42,000 on it, put the Acessport on it at 45,000, and it's now got 109,000 on it. no problems, and I beat it to death more than most would ever.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
618 Posts
I’ve said on this forum before and I still believe that Ford’s paddle shifters and the associated transmission programming are a crime against humanity! Ha!
IMO the “automatic” programming in Sport mode is pretty good for what is essentially a mid-level fleet car doing an impression of a sport sedan . It rev matches, downshifts appropriately on heavy braking and throttle inputs, up shifts on time. There’s several ways to run it; in “D” it’s economy minded but not lazy, in “S” it’s snappier and holds gears longer, but you can also put it in “S”, paddle into 1st gear, then let it upshift itself when it hits the rev limiter. You’ll have to manually downshift thereafter, but it will handle the up shifts. It’s a fun little option, good for those occasional lapses in maturity for a quick thrill I mentioned! Haha!
Its' all in the tuning, I have mine shifting quite nicely. Not perfect, but way better than what Ford had going on. Have to keep in mind, there's a lot going on inside this transmission to get from 1st to 6th. if this thing was like an old AOD 4 speed, we wouldn't be talking about it. they were simple and easy to make shift right, not that they didn't stock for the most part.

·
Registered
2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7L Tuned for E30
17 Posts
You must have missed the memo, these 2.7's are unreliable :ROFLMAO:
I don't have quite as strong a testimony as Shawnski and Skipe, but I've got 10k miles since tuning and no issues whatsoever. Mine is from Torrie @ Unleashed Tuning. It is quite quicker than stock.

·
Registered
634 Posts

“They did not know it was impossible, so they did it.” - Mark Twain

...sometimes it’s better to not get the memo!!

Reactions: Skyl3r

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
My 6F55s generally perform WOT shifts around 425ms or faster. By comparison GM tunes their 10L80 (the GM version of Ford's 10R80) on the ZL1 to perform the WOT shifts around 125ms, and is reported to be faster than the DCTs on a McLaren or the Porsche PDK. I don't think there's a lot of room to work with on the 6F55 to make it physically shift much faster safely, but there's always someone out there that will figure something out.

I will say that the 6F55 is an odd one. On my SHO, I could flash a tune back to back and not have any shifting problems and really didn't need to do much at all for it to shift really well and fast. On my Explorer XLT, after a new flash, I need about 3 solid WOT 2-3 shifts before "Trans Shift Mod" goes away - where it pulls a lot of spark to cut torque. And no it is NOT part of torque reduction for upshifts, it is something very different and odd that no one has been able to explain. Because after 3 of these, it goes away on its own and doesn't pull spark. It used to do it for WOT 1-2's but now it stopped doing it even after a new tune. I've noticed as I repeatedly do these WOT shifts, the time it takes gets reduced. The first WOT 2-3 will take 600+ ms and by the 4th one it is about 300ms. It's probably part of the adaptive tuning in the KAM that gets reset.

What doesn't help is the N/A 3.5L V6 and 3.7L V6 makes hardly any torque so the shifts have to go really high up, like stock is 6750 RPM! These are screamers.

On the Fusion Sport, the trans used to do this as well but not as much as the explorer where the spark cut feels like hitting a wall. On the Fusion Sport, it often causes a Mode 6 misfire condition in cyl 2, 3, 4, or 6 when it gets bad enough there's a flashing CEL but after some massaging this has gone away. The weep hole has also helped expunge gunk in the intercooler. I need to start doing more datalogging on the Fusion now that I have the MPVI2 Pro w/ standalone instead of having to schlepp 15 lb of gear (Laptop, MPVI1 Pro, all that cabling, etc)

A 93 octane tune for EcoBoost isn't going to do as much as an E30+ tune because when you add "boost" and spark, the E85 in E30+ will contribute to evaporative charge cooling in a direct injection application which increases effective octane dramatically. 93 octane itself isn't going to do much as I have found in the past working on the SHO and Cobalt SS Turbo. Honestly I wouldn't even bother with a 93 octane tune if you can't get E85. Just go for an 87 octane tune that improves shifting and other driveability, then add 93 octane into the tank as available/affordable and the OAR tables will help add spark where needed.

Ford really doesn't have a good bead on transmission tuning, they must have lost all their good engineers or something because the 11-19 Explorer 6F55 shift schedules are almost totally jacked up from the factory. There are areas where it can hunt between gears (bad for the transmission), slips the converter clutch, and doesn't upshift as quickly as possible. Also the stock 215F fan setting really makes the engine and trans fluid operate fairly toasty. I tweaked the fan settings just down by about 15F and it keeps the trans fluid and coolant temp more regulated even in this 90F ambient heat. My ECT, TFT, and manifold charge temp on the explorer (no IAT - just a MAP in the N/A intake manifold) at 90F ambient is the same as 50F ambient which is remarkable.

Just massaging the Explorer and Fusion shift schedules has resulted in several MPG's gain in fuel economy as it isn't screaming around town at 4th or 5th gear. I want it to lock up the converter in 6th gear as soon as possible for cruising.

·
Registered
618 Posts
All of that is in the trans tables, just need to know where to look and what your looking at. I can tell you my half throttle and WOT shift pretty damn fast, I was having more of an issue with creeping around at low speeds in the neighborhood going from a stop to 3rd, but I think I,ve got it set nice right now.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I have/had 3 different 6F55s they all react differently to the trans tables. So working the SHO and then the Fusion Sport, and the Explorer nothing translates over to one another. The SHO was basically ready to go out of the box. They all react very differently. But I find that after several days of driving in various throttle/RPM conditions the system starts to work faster by itself. Now in light throttle 1-6 it works seamlessly and quickly, without me having to mess with anything. It does it by itself as I have found with the Explorer.

But to go from 300-400 ms at WOT down to 125 ms doesn't seem feasible.

·
Registered
2017 fusion sport, 401A, Steeda catch can, Steeda CAI, Unleashed 93 oct tune
43 Posts
My 17 has 78k on it, it’s been tuned for like 2k miles and I love it. Shifting is way snappier and acceleration is greatly improved. I just need to get my new plugs installed so it stops misfiring when I push it really hard🙃

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
My 17 has 78k on it, it’s been tuned for like 2k miles and I love it. Shifting is way snappier and acceleration is greatly improved. I just need to get my new plugs installed so it stops misfiring when I push it really hard🙃
I had that problem and found it only occurred when the engine wasn't fully hot/warmed up, it can be warm (ECT at 180F) but would still happen. I switched plugs and it was fine for awhile and then it started back up. I drilled a weep hole and it's been spitting oil each time I drive it, but so far no more misfires. I never got a hard DTC set for a misfire (030x) only Mode 6 Misfires and one pending misfire because I had been idling/testing it in the garage during the winter. I guess it was really really sensitive to the lack of fresh air. Once I opened the garage door it would go away.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I am 19 living with my parents which I will have to somewhat convince them to be OK with me installing this, as they technically have the title although I pay for it
Since the tune will void your warranty, who's going to pay for a new engine, transmission, PTU, or whatever else might break - you or your parents?

I did some shady backyard mechanics when I was 19. In hindsight, not what I would suggest to someone else. What I am getting at here is that you should plan on doing a lot of early preventative maintenance if you're asking the components to handle the additional power/torque. If you're ok with that, you're going to pay for that yourself, and you've also budgeted for any unforseen repairs, then a tune isn't a big deal. Otherwise, it would be unfair to your parents to tune what's really their car, then not take care of it, and expect them to fix it for you.

Just my $0.02. Good on you for asking the question either way. I'm probably getting a tune soon too haha

·
Registered
618 Posts
Doing your own tuning is way more fun than buying them from someone, :)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I don't have quite as strong a testimony as Shawnski and Skipe, but I've got 10k miles since tuning and no issues whatsoever. Mine is from Torrie @ Unleashed Tuning. It is quite quicker than stock.
You're driving a Continental, @Skyl3r . I'm surprised you ever want to get where you're going because it means you have to get out of the car. ;)

Then again, I have the same problem with my FFS...... :cool:

·
Registered
2017 Lincoln Continental Reserve 2.7L Tuned for E30
17 Posts
You're driving a Continental, @Skyl3r . I'm surprised you ever want to get where you're going because it means you have to get out of the car. ;)

Then again, I have the same problem with my FFS...... :cool:
Under the hood, they're nearly identical, right?
But, yeah :) The feeling of being excited to walk out to your car and get in is always nice

1 - 20 of 28 Posts