21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,321 Posts
Gonna Sticky this one. Great job!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Now that I know what I need to do it, I can get with our parts guy, and get the cooler n hose coming. Interested also how much of a drop you see temp wise. Big thing would be hwy, long runs on the free way drive it up faster than anything, trans temps are the same way. Around town mine will hang out just under 180 190, get on the hwy for any length of time and it will go over 200. Another cooler I want to change is that thing they call a cooler up front behind the bumper. Thing is a joke, needs something about two to three times thicker and a bigger foot print wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Are you talking about the trans cooler (below the fog light)? That's the oil-to-air cooler and there's also an oil-to-water cooler on top of the 6F55. I haven't seen my TFT rise over ECT, so it's good to go. The Mercon LV is designed to run a bit hotter than what we expected with 1970s and 1980s transmission fluids. A 170F engine coolant t-stat would probably help lower that temp a bit.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Are you talking about the trans cooler (below the fog light)? That's the oil-to-air cooler and there's also an oil-to-water cooler on top of the 6F55. I haven't seen my TFT rise over ECT, so it's good to go. The Mercon LV is designed to run a bit hotter than what we expected with 1970s and 1980s transmission fluids. A 170F engine coolant t-stat would probably help lower that temp a bit.
I,ve got a 170 T Stat.

Reactions: metroplex

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I,ve got a 170 T Stat.
Have you checked your Trans Fluid Temp readings before and after the 170F t-stat? I know in the past my TFT will follow the ECT +/- 1F, so about 205F after a nice thrashing in the summer. If your ECT is kept at around 180F-190F with the 170F t-stat, your TFT should be a bit lower than 205F fully warmed up.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I may have some old logs from before the T stat,

·
Registered
284 Posts
So I live in Las Vegas and my FFS did not come with the factory oil cooler so my plan is to add the MKZ oil cooler assembly to help with cooling this summer , with new ford parts costing 169 bucks I figure it is cheap insurance , once I have completed the install I will post pics and do a quick write up on the install .
What year is your car?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I read on Facebook the 2019 Sports might have come with the oil cooler from the factory...
I'm really surprised they didn't put one on them from the start in 17

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I pulled the datalogs for my Explorer (has a factory engine oil cooler - same design/config as the F-150/MKZ 3.0 oil cooler) and couldn't discern any difference between the Fusion Sport (non-cooler) in similar ambient conditions. What's more important is the temperature of the engine coolant. It's safe to reason if you are running the 170F Reische T-stat with the fan temp reduced to 190F-200F, then your ECT will be maintained at a lower temperature, resulting in slightly reduced temperatures for the PTU, ATF, and engine oil fluids.

That being said, GM uses an engine oil cooler for its GTDI engines. My Cobalt SS Turbo came with one and its only a 3000 lb car making 260 hp from a K04 turbo. My friend's Malibu w/ the LTG has one as well. So I'd definitely look into retrofitting the MKZ oil cooler!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I ordered the hoses and oil cooler just to have on hand if I decide to do the retrofit in the future. The oil cooler looks well made, even if there are foreign QC stampings on it. It looks like the oil goes through a bunch of passages that alternate with coolant passages. There's also a bypass hole in between the oil ports. My guess is to allow bypass flow if the oil is too thick when it is cold. I think we can re-use the rear coolant hose, but the one that runs from the degas bottle to the oil cooler definitely has to be swapped. It's not even close. But I bought that entire rear hose assembly just in case.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Metro the rear hose was plug and play no issues or cutting needed
That's great news! It looks to be a royal PITA to swap. It's two hose sets zip-tied together at the factory.

After looking at how the oil cooler ports were oriented and the way our stock rear hose looked I had a feeling the MKZ version wasn't needed. But I found it at a very low price just in case.

·
Registered
284 Posts
That's great news! It looks to be a royal PITA to swap. It's two hose sets zip-tied together at the factory.

After looking at how the oil cooler ports were oriented and the way our stock rear hose looked I had a feeling the MKZ version wasn't needed. But I found it at a very low price just in case.
So exactly what parts, part numbers would be great, are needed to add this piece to our cars? Funny how Ford thought it only necessary to put this on the more expensive Lincoln.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts