Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my Fusion Sport three weeks ago. Absolutely freaking love it. Last week, found out my wife and I are expecting twins (identical, girls). We already have a 2yr old running around. Does anyone have any experience running three carseats (two infant, one forward) in a Sport?

I REALLY hope I don't have to trade it in.

·
Registered
405 Posts
lol, time for a new car. No way will you be able to transport 3 kids in that and all the stuff that is required to travel with 3 kids. 2 kids and a small SUV is pretty packed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My wife, 3 kids, and I all fit in the Fusion, but only one of them is in a car seat. You could get away with 2 car seats, but a third would be a tight fit.

·
Registered
899 Posts
You will need to find 3 narrow car seats in order to fit 3 across.

I a minivan is vastly easier with 3 kids. We have 3 vehicles, the wife's 08 Outback, my new FS and a 06 Mercury Monterey minivan that we bought 4 years ago for $5k with only 80k miles of Craigslist.

The minivan is the weekend/whole family run around vehicle, while the cars are for the daily commute.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Carmax made a decent offer on trade, higher than I expected. But my wife and I negotiated and as long as I can find carseats that will fit and a stroller than I can cram in the trunk, I'm going to keep the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You are going to find that it won't work. I have twins and a total of three kids. I also have a mini-van that we just bought. I am not a mini-van fan, but i tell you its the best tool possible for kids. It has really made things a lot easier. Trust me, when having twins you will want and need every tool that makes life easier for you.

·
Super Moderator
1,307 Posts
Carmax made a decent offer on trade, higher than I expected. But my wife and I negotiated and as long as I can find carseats that will fit and a stroller than I can cram in the trunk, I'm going to keep the car.
Well the trunk is big enough to hide 3 dead mafia bosses so that is good... IF you have to ditch the sport look at the Edge. I had on for a rental a couple weeks ago and I would buy one in a heart beat for my wife if she wanted on. She won't part with the 02 F250 Crew Cab 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel 4x4... LOL

·
Registered
129 Posts
Congrats on the twins and condolences if you have to part with the Sport. Three small seats may work for a few months until they need the larger seats, then it may not be feasible.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I've had 2 cars seats on each side and a small adult in the middle before.

I think if you get the 2 year old a booster type seat you might be ok. As long as you use the 5 point harness, they make them for that young. Also, you would have to secure it by belt, not Latch. There is only enough latches for one seat in middle or two seats, one on each side. Do not put 2 seats on the same latch. If you have the inflatable seat belts you might be screwed. It is not safe to run them behind a booster seat to secure it, which will save where they would run if you were using the 5 point harness.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, that's helpful. We were going to try to get a narrow front-facing seat for the toddler, but we hadn't even thought about a booster. Any particular reason not to share a latch for two seats -- I haven't done any research on that yet.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Technically it is possible, but the manual says not to. It might not be strong enough to restrain both seats in a crash.

Also, depending on the clip size, it might be really hard to take the seat out if two clips are on the same latch. I already have a hard enough time getting my big mitt in there to unclip one seat when I have to take it out.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Thanks, that's helpful. We were going to try to get a narrow front-facing seat for the toddler, but we hadn't even thought about a booster. Any particular reason not to share a latch for two seats -- I haven't done any research on that yet.
Ford Edge Sport. Ford Explorer Sport? :)

·
Registered
899 Posts
Look into the Chicco Keyfit 30 infant seats and the Diono Radian RXT for the rear facing. It looks like you are going to have to drop some serious $ on seats but it will be far cheaper then trading in the FS.

https://mommyhood101.com/fitting-three-car-seats-in-the-back-2017

Your 2 year old is not old enough or heavy enough for a booster. With a booster seat, while they are slightly narrower, you also have to have enough space for the kids hand to reach down and buck/unbuckle.

·
Registered
402 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts