Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Don't know about you guys, but I'm a big fan of the meaty tire look on a nice set of lightweight wheels. If done right this combo can yield an improved ride, better handling, better fuel economy, and, dare I say, more aggressive looks to the car too. A proverbial win-win.

Now while I love the look of an up-sized wheel wrapped up in a thin profile tire, I'm more of a traditionalist in the sense that function will always trump form. Running a thin profile tire is almost guaranteed to sharpen up turn in response and add a level of poise to the vehicle observed both by the driver and by the bystanders nearby as they draw gaze at the car at the intersection in awe. For many that is at the top of the priority list and rightfully so. However, its hard to deny the fact that plus sized wheels typically add weight and/or worsen the ride comfort, not to mention the added risk of damage you have to live with if you drive on bad roads. I know there are exceptions to this (read: how much are you willing to spend?) but generally speaking, this is the case.

I believe beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and in my mind, a setup that adds sidewall between the driver and the road, while maintaining - if not improving - every other attribute, is a beautiful thing. Enter the 'meaty tire' concept. Decrease the wheel diameter by an inch or two, possibly widen the wheel by half or a full inch, and mount a big ol' tire (with sidewall support) around it.

The ride comfort of the sport is incredible already. However the stock wheels look like they are quite heavy, and style wise are a bit of a wash. Not bad but in the pursuit of excellence you could always have better, right!
;)

So... anyone running a MEATY TIRE care to post up some pics?! Would be great to see what people are running and have a place to discuss options for those that would like to. please post tire and wheel details including offset :nerd:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't know how "meaty" these look but the sidewall is larger and the wheel is smaller than stock. The OD is about the largest that will fit. 225/50/18 with 45 offset. Snow tires only. Can't wait to put the stock ones back cuz these are studded.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nice! That's a sharp looking set, the car must be unstoppable with those studs... so long as you don't get stuck scraping up on something with the belly of the car.

What wheel are you running?

And how much front wheel to caliper clearance do you have with those 18" wheels? Do you think any 18" wheel will work? How about a 17" wheel?

·
Registered
82 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Nice! That's a sharp looking set, the car must be unstoppable with those studs... so long as you don't get stuck scraping up on something with the belly of the car.

What wheel are you running?

And how much front wheel to caliper clearance do you have with those 18" wheels? Do you think any 18" wheel will work? How about a 17" wheel?
Thank you. It does run straight and true on the hardpack. With it's low CG and fairly long and wide stance, it's better than any other vehicle i have ever had for slippery roads.
The wheels are Drag DR33. Very inexpensive and the offset leaves about 2" of clearance to the caliper. That's why the side of the car gets dirty so fast. The id of the rim is very close though, about 1/2". I wouldn't get them for year round use, they seem kind of cheaply made.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Im debating on using the Focus ST's for summer use. Since I like to auto X and hit the drag strip, I think these would a better choice over the stock wheels/tires. Plus I think i could get a better deal on good performance tires. I can vouch the Stock set up is very heavy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's a discussion about this in this thread]

Basically, the conclusion is there is no way you could get a 17 over the brakes. Some 18s fit, some 18s don't.
Ok right - Just read through the snow tires thread... hard to believe Tire Rack went off an assumption like that before physically checking fitment on the car. That's either an oversight or an underestimate of the sport's brake system ha. I'm hoping every 18" wheel currently listed on their site is backed by a fitment guarantee.

Thanks for pointing to the thread, there is lots of good information there. :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im debating on using the Focus ST's for summer use. Since I like to auto X and hit the drag strip, I think these would a better choice over the stock wheels/tires. Plus I think i could get a better deal on good performance tires. I can vouch the Stock set up is very heavy.
The Focus ST wheels seem like great option, especially if you can get them at a good price. Hmm it also looks like they maintain the factory offset of....55mm which is awesome because that means you get to keep your suspension geometry correct. I don't know very much about suspension theory, having not studied it in as much detail as I would like, but have heard a few sources warn that a change of offset to the extent of 5mm can negatively affect your scrub radius and the ackermann angle of the car. I have no idea what the acceptable/perceivable threshold is for the fusion but by simple logic a 55mm offset wheel will always be the best in terms of the all around handling and part wear and tear (notably the tires but also steering rack, ball joints, etc. over time)

Tire rack says the FoST wheels come in at 26.0 lbs each. Is that some weight savings right there? I can't seem to find any information about what the stock sport wheels weigh in at.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
So fun facts for today. I just weighed one of the stock wheel/tire(good year a/s). 58.9 lbs if any of you guys were wondering.. that's a heavy set up

Reactions: Shutterbug

·
Registered
80 Posts
So fun facts for today. I just weighed one of the stock wheel/tire(good year a/s). 58.9 lbs if any of you guys were wondering.. that's a heavy set up

Thats a 33lb. wheel,man that is heavy for only a 19X8" wheel. Goint to a set of 22lb wheels will make the car so much more responsive and athletic.

Dave

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just for a comparison, my E92 M3 wheels with tires are right at 50lbs a piece. They are 19X10 and 19X11 with 275/30/19 and 295/30/19 Mich PSS tires. The fronts came in right at 49lbs and the rears are at 51lbs so a 50lb avg. The FFS with a set of light wheels is going to feel so much more athletic.

Dave

·
Registered
333 Posts
I went to 18's for the ride and unsprung weight. Drag wheels and 235/45-18 Conti's. And I didn't like the look of the stock wheels, much happier now.
What's the width and offset of those wheels?

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Any more reviews from any members that have gone with a lighter tire/wheel set up compared to stock? I'm considering shaving some weight off this beast before I tune if anyone is seeing any substantial increase in performance and MPGs by reducing unsprung weight. I'm looking at some 20lbs Enkei wheels at tirerack.com for a decent price.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I should have a set of 20x8.5s, 40mm offset, with 255/35 tires installed early this week. I'll post up pics once they're on. Not really concerned about added weight and such. With the 93 octane tune and bigger IC, the car probably won't even notice it, lol!

Reactions: Shutterbug

·
Registered
23 Posts
I should have a set of 20x8.5s, 40mm offset, with 255/35 tires installed early this week. I'll post up pics once they're on. Not really concerned about added weight and such. With the 93 octane tune and bigger IC, the car probably won't even notice it, lol!
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it either if I were you. Besides, I've seen studies that show lowering unsprung weight rarely results in a noticeable increase in performance/handling and MPGs. But our cars could be different and respond better to reducing weight. It should be easy and fairly affordable to drop about 25lbs. on all four corners with the right wheel/tire combo. That's nearly 100lbs. of unsprung weight. I would love to hear from anyone that's tried this.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I went down to some OEM 18's but with 245 series tires. I probably only saved 40lbs total (10lbs per corner). Not much difference noticed in getting more power down. I'm thinking the wider tires have decreased my mpgs possibly due to more friction on the road? Not real noticeable though...I'd say do what you think you will like the look of because unless you go like racing lightweight you probably won't notice a diff! Going to go with 225 series for winter and I'm curious to see if that ups MPGs at all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
^Well said. Unless I hear differently from someone that's tried it, I'll just save my money and wait until I need new tires before I get lightweight wheels. But boy, there are some pretty options out there!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts