Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thread bump, because I got a 2.5 Turbo two weeks ago. Only 300 miles so far but I'm really impressed. Mazda is going after the A3 instead of the Stinger with this car. It's nine inches shorter and two inches narrower than the Sport, rides like a smaller car. 250 ponies and 310 tourqies, weighing more than 600 lbs less than the Sport, it's a blast to drive.

This thing priced within a grand of the Sport I got 4.5 years ago, and it's loaded - heads up display, heated steering wheel, every safety feature imaginable. It lacks a few things (passenger seat is manual adjust, no fog lights), but overall I'm happy. I loved the Sport and will miss it, but I'm worry free with issues for a while now.
I have looked at the 3 also, There is one local dealer here that likes to charge MSRP no discount, the other things just didn't smoothly. I like that the 3 is smaller lighter, you say it rides like a small car does that mean it doesn't take bumps as well? Does it have a nosier ride, wind. road noise. I do really like its size. Are the seats comfortable to you. I would like a test drive but the dealer closest to me wanted me to fill out a rental agreement just to take it for a test drive by myself, I just asked for my license back and left. That has never happened to me in all the years I have purchased cars. Please let me know the comparison between the Sport and the 3. Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have looked at the 3 also, There is one local dealer here that likes to charge MSRP no discount, the other things just didn't smoothly. I like that the 3 is smaller lighter, you say it rides like a small car does that mean it doesn't take bumps as well? Does it have a nosier ride, wind. road noise. I do really like its size. Are the seats comfortable to you. I would like a test drive but the dealer closest to me wanted me to fill out a rental agreement just to take it for a test drive by myself, I just asked for my license back and left. That has never happened to me in all the years I have purchased cars. Please let me know the comparison between the Sport and the 3. Thanks
It doesn't soak up the bumps quite as well, but it still does very well. A bit more engine noise, but a nice slightly muscular noise, and definitely less road noise (I had the Conti tires which were noisy, and then Michelins which were a bit quieter). The seats aren't quite as nice, but they are still firm and offer good support. A think a few hour road trip would be fine, but for an all day drive would want something a bit bigger. That's when we'll drive my wife's Infiniti or our F150.

The car dealer wanting a rental agreement to test drive is BS. What if the sales rep rode along? These days I actually want them along because cockpits are no longer simple.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I test drove a 2009 Mazdaspeed3 before deciding to go with the Cobalt SS Turbo. The MS3 had a 2.3L GTDI engine and the Cobalt has the 2.0L GTDI (LNF) - 260 hp / 260 ft-lb (torque limited) and the Cobalt weighs 3000 lb. With the GM Stage kit (basically MAP sensors that read higher and a very very conservative factory canned tune) it will make 290 hp / 320 ft-lb or somewhere around that range. Very zippy. Keep in mind the LNF first came out for the 2006 Opel GT (which we call the Saturn Sky Redline in the US) so the engine was first developed in the early 2000s. The current iteration is the LSY which was preceded by the LTG (Camaro / ATS 2.0) which was 1 or 2 generations newer than the LNF. All of these were basically in the 260 hp / 260 ft-lb range (torque limited by factory tune).

I find it odd that a 2021 Mazda3 w/ a 2.5L GTDI would only make 250 hp and 320 ft-lb after 13+ years of development, with a 300 lb heavier car. I mean the new Mazda3 is still a nice car, but I wouldn't sell my Cobalt SS to get one, let alone a Fusion Sport for performance. I did however, really like Mazda's interior quality and overall fit and finish. It looks like the Mazda3 premium and 2.5 turbo trims have the better LED headlights but still not quite as bright as I'd like (brighter than the Fusion Sport though), Seeing it is AWD though, you could tune it for more punch and have a less flashy Japanese Focus RS!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I test drove a 2009 Mazdaspeed3 before deciding to go with the Cobalt SS Turbo. The MS3 had a 2.3L GTDI engine and the Cobalt has the 2.0L GTDI (LNF) - 260 hp / 260 ft-lb (torque limited) and the Cobalt weighs 3000 lb. With the GM Stage kit (basically MAP sensors that read higher and a very very conservative factory canned tune) it will make 290 hp / 320 ft-lb or somewhere around that range. Very zippy. Keep in mind the LNF first came out for the 2006 Opel GT (which we call the Saturn Sky Redline in the US) so the engine was first developed in the early 2000s. The current iteration is the LSY which was preceded by the LTG (Camaro / ATS 2.0) which was 1 or 2 generations newer than the LNF. All of these were basically in the 260 hp / 260 ft-lb range (torque limited by factory tune).

I find it odd that a 2021 Mazda3 w/ a 2.5L GTDI would only make 250 hp and 320 ft-lb after 13+ years of development, with a 300 lb heavier car. I mean the new Mazda3 is still a nice car, but I wouldn't sell my Cobalt SS to get one, let alone a Fusion Sport for performance. I did however, really like Mazda's interior quality and overall fit and finish. It looks like the Mazda3 premium and 2.5 turbo trims have the better LED headlights but still not quite as bright as I'd like (brighter than the Fusion Sport though), Seeing it is AWD though, you could tune it for more punch and have a less flashy Japanese Focus RS!
Probably because the torque peak is 2 or 3000 RPM less than those older turbo motors of the same size, so they run out of steam up top
(with smaller turbos) and don't get the HP numbers. Also, a 60 ft-lb increase is nothing to sneeze at in the mid
2.0 class.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Probably because the torque peak is 2 or 3000 RPM less than those older turbo motors of the same size, so they run out of steam up top
(with smaller turbos) and don't get the HP numbers. Also, a 60 ft-lb increase is nothing to sneeze at in the mid
2.0 class.
If you look at the torque "curves" of these GTDI engines, they are usually flat due to the factory torque limiters in the tune. While gobs of low end torque is great for acceleration, you also need the top end power to keep them fast. The 260 ft-lb "peak torque" of the older engines were due to the torque limiters. Once you raise them, it climbs up dramatically because of the bigger turbos used in those engines and even the more modern LTG. They are flowing 32-35 lb/min of air mass with a tune.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts