Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally decided to get off my can and get this done.
I've been running this setup on my 04 SRT-4 for 12 years now with zero issues.
This really helps with Intercooler heat soak if your drag racing , and cools the engine/compartment.
You'll basically need a chunk of wire to run from the fuse box in the engine compartment to the cabin, a 2 pole switch, a couple of wire connectors to attach to the switch and a way to mount the switch.
This is roughly installed on my car, I'm going to order a new switch
that doesn't stick out and mount it somewhere under the dash and run the wire through the firewall, right now it's run through the fender and through the door opening.

Locate one of the fan relays in the engine compartment, fan relay #1 is the passenger side and located in slot #32, fan relay #2 is the drivers side and located in slot #38
I was running fan #2 for a few days and got greedy and tapped both relays to see the effect. I don't think it's necessary to run both fans, they suck enough air that you'll have to be careful with young children and small pets.
First run the wire through the place of your choice in the firewall
to the engine fuse box.
Strip back enough wire to shove in the slot pictured and replace the relay
Hook the wire to one side of the switch.
With a second piece of wire run from the other side of the switch to a ground.
Mount the switch and you're all finished.
(Currently I've temporarily zip tied the switch to the OBD connector.)
This mod works with the engine running or just the accessories on.
I have about a 3 minute drive to my house,(35 mph) after I exit the highway and I always flip the switch on the exit ramp.
Obviously I never run the fans on when I'm driving over 35 MPH.
When you turn off the car with the switch on the fans will continue to run for a few seconds until the car shuts down.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Nice work to help keep temps down. You have a grommet behind the battery on the firewall and that's what i used to hardwire my radar.
On my mustang, the afco HE fans would run with ignition on or accessory, wonder if Torrie could get me a race tune and tell the fans to turn on that way. I think all he has to do is change the temp command.

·
Super Moderator
1,307 Posts
Sweet so what if we took it one step further...

Lets say we took this

https://www.amazon.com/Qianson-Automatic-Temperature-Controller-Governor/dp/B01KH2U2XK

12 volt fan controller with thermistor and mounted it under hood.

Then instead of connecting a 12v computer fan to the controller we connect this relay

VIAIR 40 Amp Relay-93940 - The Home Depot

via the actuator side of the relay then connect the load side to the under dash relay and ground.

Set the controller to kick on the relay when ever under hood temps get above 130 and call it a day?

This is off the cuff but do you think it would work?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Sweet so what if we took it one step further...

Lets say we took this

https://www.amazon.com/Qianson-Automatic-Temperature-Controller-Governor/dp/B01KH2U2XK

12 volt fan controller with thermistor and mounted it under hood.

Then instead of connecting a 12v computer fan to the controller we connect this relay

VIAIR 40 Amp Relay-93940 - The Home Depot

via the actuator side of the relay then connect the load side to the under dash relay and ground.

Set the controller to kick on the relay when ever under hood temps get above 130 and call it a day?

This is off the cuff but do you think it would work?
Only thing I would worry about with the premade controller is temps from keeping it in the engine bay... The thermostat could be extended, but might read off if you do (it's based on resistance, and lengthening the leads would add resistance to it). That said, so long as you adjust it to be around 130*F on the engine side, it doesnt' really matter on the controller. I feel like you could use the factory relay without adding the second one, but it might take a diode on the factory wire to prevent backflow of electricity into the controller than runs the fans... That's just a safety precaution though.

·
Super Moderator
1,307 Posts
Only thing I would worry about with the premade controller is temps from keeping it in the engine bay... The thermostat could be extended, but might read off if you do (it's based on resistance, and lengthening the leads would add resistance to it). That said, so long as you adjust it to be around 130*F on the engine side, it doesnt' really matter on the controller. I feel like you could use the factory relay without adding the second one, but it might take a diode on the factory wire to prevent backflow of electricity into the controller than runs the fans... That's just a safety precaution though.
Did a little digging on a site I have purchased odd-ball items from in the past and found this. Looks like we could mount it in teh car on fire wall somewhere accessible, connect accessory power to it and then factory relay leg to ground like La Flama Blancahas his wired throught the 12vdc 10A built-in relay. Feed the thermistor thru a firewall grommet into the engine bay. What I like is you can set a start and stop range plus it has a digital readout showing what your under hood temps are. Plus it could be a neat and clean install.

HF 0.56" LCD + 2-0.4" Digital Thermostat Temperature Controller - Dark Blue + Black (-9~99'C/12V) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Reactions: JaredC01

·
Super Moderator
1,307 Posts
Did a little digging on a site I have purchased odd-ball items from in the past and found this. Looks like we could mount it in the car on fire wall somewhere accessible, connect accessory power to it and then factory relay leg to ground like La Flama Blancahas his wired thru the 12vdc 10A built-in relay. Feed the thermistor thru a firewall grommet into the engine bay. What I like is you can set a start and stop range plus it has a digital readout showing what your under hood temps are. Plus it could be a neat and clean install.

HF 0.56" LCD + 2-0.4" Digital Thermostat Temperature Controller - Dark Blue + Black (-9~99'C/12V) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

·
Registered
331 Posts
Did a little digging on a site I have purchased odd-ball items from in the past and found this. Looks like we could mount it in the car on fire wall somewhere accessible, connect accessory power to it and then factory relay leg to ground like La Flama Blancahas his wired thru the 12vdc 10A built-in relay. Feed the thermistor thru a firewall grommet into the engine bay. What I like is you can set a start and stop range plus it has a digital readout showing what your under hood temps are. Plus it could be a neat and clean install.

Only question on that, is can you display the temp in Fahrenheit? Seems the LCD only has 2-digit readout, meaning it's probably Celsius-only, up to 99 degrees. I'm not a metric-minded individual, living in the US of A.

·
Super Moderator
1,307 Posts
Only question on that, is can you display the temp in Fahrenheit? Seems the LCD only has 2-digit readout, meaning it's probably Celsius-only, up to 99 degrees. I'm not a metric-minded individual, living in the US of A.
Yeah Celsius readings but it wouldn't take to long to get comfortable with it.

·
Registered
33 Posts

So - has anyone done this, and what was the result? Or did anyone see if Torrie could turn the fans on at start up through the ECU?
mr

1 - 9 of 9 Posts