Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was offered the Maintenance package to purchase when I got my Sport on Saturday; I did not get it. You should never finance those things with your car purchase as the then the cost more than doubles and you'll have no savings at all.

But anyhow, was everyone else offered the Maint. Package (84 months I believe for the top one) that covers pretty much everything (fluids, brake pads, rotors, pretty much all) and purchased it, or are considering it and may go back to purchase it?

Thank you

·
Registered
868 Posts
I was offered a couple packages but went with the 5 year / 100k mile maint package. I was on the fence and would have been fine either way but my wife pushed me to get it. Not sure what you mean by "bundling with financing doubles the cost of it"? Are you referring to the interest that you'll pay on it? Please explain. Thanks!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I got the wheel, window, and dent protection for $15/mo for the duration of my lease which comes out to $540. One wheel oopsey and it's paid for.
I got this as well. It's already bought me a $270 tire (Tire Rack price) after I picked up a piece of construction debris on the highway. The dealer replaced the tire with no hassle and no paperwork. A wheel would be over $800 -- a likely prospect on a wheel carrying a 40-profile tire -- unless you want to really bet the farm on "pothole mitigation."

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll need to check again, but the 84 month package offered was over $2,000 so didn't seem like a great deal.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'll need to check again, but the 84 month package offered was over $2,000 so didn't seem like a great deal.
I'm referring to the "three for one" plan for wheels, tires, windshield repair, and paintless dent removal. My tire incident has paid back over half of it in just a few weeks. I think you're referring to an extended warranty, which doesn't cover any of these items.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was not a extended warranty but a specifically an optional maint. package to purchase. There were four or five options, with the top being 84 months, and the one you describe was one of the four/five options. The top end package covered everything from tires, wheels, the LED headlights, all fluids, break pads, electronics.....everything maint. or a replacement due to breakage would require.

·
Registered
868 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
It was not a extended warranty but a specifically an optional maint. package to purchase. There were four or five options, with the top being 84 months, and the one you describe was one of the four/five options. The top end package covered everything from tires, wheels, the LED headlights, all fluids, break pads, electronics.....everything maint. or a replacement due to breakage would require.
Right, mine was the same deal. Covers all maintenance except tires. 5 years or 100k miles. I due to work policy can only own the thing for 5 years anyway, so I went with that term and mileage.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Is this the same as the VIP program they have or is it a completely different program??

·
Registered
405 Posts
Buying an extended warranty IMO is such a waste of money. Its even more ridiculous when you think that they only sell it for standard miles, ie its not 60K mile factory power train then 100K miles after giving you 160K mile power train warranty. So Ford cars come with a 6 year 60K mile Power Train warranty, if you buy a 100k mile warranty for say 4 grand, you are expecting 1,000 dollars worth of break downs every 10K miles after 60K miles. Sure you can say the warranty is bumper to bumper, so after 36K miles, you are covered for an additional 64K miles. But even then, most cars will not experience 4K dollars worth of break downs before 100k miles.

I get it that some people dont have a couple grand laying around in case their car needs to be fixed, however if you do, a warranty is such a waste of money, chances are you will never use the full value of the warranty. Its like carrying high deductibles on car insurance. I carry 1,000 dollar deductibles, on average it saved me somewhere around 50 bucks a month off my bill. That means after 10 months with no claims, ive already saved the out of pocket deductible difference. Every month after that is just extra money in my pocket. Put that 500 bucks in the bank and collect interest, keep adding till you have 1,000 dollars and boom. You now have your full deductible paid for, earning interest and you have an extra 50 bucks a month in your pocket. I havent made a claim for my auto insurance in almost 10 years now, at 50 bucks a month savings that means ive saved 6,000 dollars.

They sell you a 4,000 dollar warranty for 100K miles because they know the average car wont require 4,000 dollars worth of maintenance. Either you pre-purchase/over purchase repairs on the vehicle or you just repair it as needed.

·
Registered
215 Posts
They sell you a 4,000 dollar warranty for 100K miles because they know the average car wont require 4,000 dollars worth of maintenance. Either you pre-purchase/over purchase repairs on the vehicle or you just repair it as needed.
Yup. As with most things, they wouldn't sell it if the odds weren't in their favor to make money. I got a laugh out of my recent experience buying a 2016 Honda Pilot (I leased my Fusion sport so I didn't have to deal with any warranty stuff.) After finishing up with the Honda salesman, he sends me into the finance office to finish up the deal. The finance guy of course shows me some "covers everything forever" extended warranty, which adds $3,500 to the amount to be financed. I decline. He then starts taking money off the top of the warranty, because he "really wants me to have it." I decline each time. He then types some things on his computer, prints out another version of the deal and tells me that he's taken all of the profit out of the warranty (ha!) because he really really thinks I should have it. I decline. He then acts as if I'm making huge mistake, and tells me that if I want to roll the dice, that's on me. It's funny how the salesman tells you how amazingly reliable the car is and that it will last forever, and then two minutes later the finance guy is telling you that you better buy an expensive warranty because the car is going to explode any second now and you want to be covered.

·
Registered
177 Posts
While this is true, I do like the Chrysler "everything, bumper to bumper warrantee as long as you own the car". For $2700 they pay for everything except regular wear until we get tired of the vehicle (usually between 170-185k miles). It pays for itself, because they're betting we'll sell the car sooner and they lose. Oh yeah, it's a Grand Caravan RT-factory 1" drop, bigger wheels and much more aggressive programming for the engine and transmission-the most fun I've ever had in a van!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts