Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,732 Posts
Are you guys sure it's not 150 Nm instead of 150 ft lbs? 150 Nm would be approx. 110 ft lbs which would make much more sense.
Yes, it's 150 lb-ft / 204 Nm. It is listed right in the owner's manual.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, it's 150 lb-ft / 204 Nm. It is listed right in the owner's manual.

Yeah, I should have checked that before I posted. I just went to check and saw that. My bad. I just got the car a couple months ago and still have it in pieces in the garage so a haven't had to torque the wheels yet. I'm glad I found this article though because I would have just assumed it was around 100-110ftlbs and just rolled with that.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
It's the 14mm lugs. These are fairly beefed up. These aren't the usual 1/2" or smaller lugs found on peasant vehicles.

My guess is that Ford really intended the Fusion Sport to go over 100 mph. The door sticker says to add 3 psi tire pressure when going over 100 mph. The only other Ford I've seen with this sticker is the Ford GT. Not sure on the current Mustangs but my S197 GT didn't have one. It's either that, or it's because the Mondeo is European and if you drive on the Autobahn you may find yourself well over 100 mph.

·
Super Moderator
1,732 Posts
Yup its just another one of those things that makes you wonder what Ford had planned for our cars before they suddenly got quiet about the Sport after the initial press event.

Reactions: ArthurUSCG

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Yup its just another one of those things that makes you wonder what Ford had planned for our cars before they suddenly got quiet about the Sport after the initial press event.

My guess is the marketing on the car fell victim to the "bail out of sedans" thing. I think if the general SUV craze hadn't come along and ruined everything when it did, they probably would have continued with these.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Yeah, I should have checked that before I posted. I just went to check and saw that. My bad. I just got the car a couple months ago and still have it in pieces in the garage so a haven't had to torque the wheels yet. I'm glad I found this article though because I would have just assumed it was around 100-110ftlbs and just rolled with that.
That's exactly what I always worry the Ford techs are going to do when I bring it in, which is why I always say something. And they always look at me like I'm insane for telling them the lug nut torque.

·
Registered
44 Posts
That's exactly what I always worry the Ford techs are going to do when I bring it in, which is why I always say something. And they always look at me like I'm insane for telling them the lug nut torque.
Your concern is definitely justified. I'm a tech and did the same thing when I saw this forum, 😂. Typically, when there is an anomaly like that in a process, procedure or specification, that info gets spread quickly among technicians. This has been my experience anyways. I am not a Ford tech but I have worked for a handful of different manufactures throughout my career (both at the dealership level and at the development level). I have to say, this is the first time I have seen a passenger car with such high lug nut torque values. Or so I thought..... In the last 15 years I have worked on many different passenger car and SUV models and, with that, some high performance oriented cars, from RS series Audis to the GTR and next generation Nissan Z. Although, none of them have exceeded 133 Nm (98 ftlbs) lug nut torque. HOWEVER, rewind back to 2007 ( I was just a young kid already working my dream career!) we were finishing up the last bit of development on the second generation CTS-V, trying to dial in transmission strategies and manage rear differential temperatures to try and make it a 200 mph sedan. I didn't remember what the lug nut torques were and they didn't really stick out to me at the time (probably because I didn't have much experience at the time) but I just looked it up and apparently its 140 ft lbs. So it think the thought that Ford had bigger plans for the Sport is on the right track.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Never worked on any of the Ford 8-lug wheels for the 8600+ GVW E/F-series? Those were 150 ft-lb! My first time working on a vehicle with such a high lug torque was the 2003 E-250.

I think the CTS-V had 6 lug wheels, which may be a reason for the higher torque as well. This came up recently in the news with the discussion of the lady hanging out the side of a CTS-V with an AK-47, and then the police impounded the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Never worked on any of the Ford 8-lug wheels for the 8600+ GVW E/F-series? Those were 150 ft-lb! My first time working on a vehicle with such a high lug torque was the 2003 E-250.

I think the CTS-V had 6 lug wheels, which may be a reason for the higher torque as well. This came up recently in the news with the discussion of the lady hanging out the side of a CTS-V with an AK-47, and then the police impounded the vehicle.
Back when I had my F250HD, my dealer service department made a batch of small decals that said the torque settings for various trucks and stuck them on the wheels inside where the center cap covered the lug nuts. They said it helped the young guys in the shop to remember, but they maintain true heavy-duty service vehicles so they usually don’t even blink at the 150# rating.

·
Registered
'17 Magnetic; Unleashed Tune, FMIC
214 Posts
Amazing info...went down a rabbit hole myself cause one of my lug caps got shredded at shop with new tires being put on. They didn't believe me when I said they were a PITA and that they may need to size up with the wrench.

Looks like i'm going Gorilla lugs!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Ford decided to use two-piece lug nuts on their cars. Basically, one piece is the steel "core" lug nut itself, but there is also a second piece that's a softer outer skin of sorts that encircles the first piece.
Ford had the same approach in my ford mondeo mk4. I had exactly the same issues :(
Thank you @LeVeL for taking your time to write this thread!

·
Registered
2019 > 2018 > 2017 :)
332 Posts
I suspect that you may be shy of 150 ft-lbs. My torque wrench goes to 150 ft-lbs, and when I torqued it I thought that I might break the stud for the socket; now I understand that it wouldn't really break, but still, it did feel like it would be stressing the stud more than I would have pushed it without using a torque wrench.
I had a 150ft-lbs torque wrench as well and ended up getting rid of it as I found out that it was 6 lbs off when at its 150 max. I now have a nice 250 lbs torque wrench instead. Don't assume that your torque wrench is correct even though many are supposedly "calibrated". This is the one I purchased after doing a lot of research on the subject and talking to many mechanics.
1/2 in. 50-250 ft. lb. Professional Torque Wrench (harborfreight.com)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a 150ft-lbs torque wrench as well and ended up getting rid of it as I found out that it was 6 lbs off when at its 150 max. I now have a nice 250 lbs torque wrench instead. Don't assume that your torque wrench is correct even though many are supposedly "calibrated". This is the one I purchased after doing a lot of research on the subject and talking to many mechanics.
1/2 in. 50-250 ft. lb. Professional Torque Wrench (harborfreight.com)
You DO know that the allowable tolerance on that wrench (+/-4%) at 150 ft-lb is 6 ft-lb, right?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts