140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TL;DR You are looking for:
Cone/Conical/Acorn
M14x1.5
~1.6" OAL
Hex/wrench size to taste
Color to taste

I recently spent several hours going down the rabbit hole of researching lug nuts - I never knew that they weren't just all standard for all cars. Figured I'd make a thread for anyone else looking into this topic and save them some time.

Background
In their infinite wisdom, Ford decided to use two-piece lug nuts on their cars. Basically, one piece is the steel "core" lug nut itself, but there is also a second piece that's a softer outer skin of sorts that encircles the first piece. The problem with this design is that the outer piece is succeptible to moisture that can cause it to expand or swell, at which point the lug nut wrench that came with your Ford no longer fits. The best case scenario is that you just go buy new lug nuts; worst case scenario is you're stuck on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck. Mind you, Ford claims that the warranty doesn't cover this issue. Here's what these silly lug nuts look like:

(all from Google)

This is a pretty well known problem. In 2017 there was even a class-action lawsuit against Ford but it was dismissed in 2019.

A lot of people (myself included) find it best to pro-actively replace the lug nuts before they become problematic.

Geeking Out About Lug Nuts
There are several designs for the "seat" of lug nuts - that's the part that faces inward, closer to the center of the car. The seats come in various angles and are designed to work with a specific application to ensure a tight (and safe) fit. There's also a question of the length/depth/size of the seat and the lug nut itself. Then there's the size of the bolts. Feel free to read more about lug nuts here, you nerds:

Your Car
The bottom line is that our 17-19 Fusion Sports have Cone/Conical/Acorn seats and the correct thread size is M14x1.5 - a lot of websites list the regular Fusion's size but trust me, the Sport is M14x1.5

Your Options
Two companies get recommended a lot: Gorilla and McGard. Gorilla is more affordable but seems to be hit or miss - some people love them, some say they rust quickly. I shelled out the cash for McGards because I didn't see any negative reviews at all and they're made right here in the USA. Obviously chrome vs black is your own choice.

You can go to the manufacturers' websites and look around for Cone/Conical/Acorn M14x1.5

Two considerations I ran into:
1) Overall length varies between different lug nut models. I think that lug nuts that stick out too far are ugly so I went with a model that's 1.635" (McGard 64072).
2) The "hex diameter" you see listed on websites refers to the size of the lug nut wrench or socket that you will need. Stock Ford is 21mm but I couldn't find lug nuts I liked in that size and my OEM wrench is missing from my trunk anyways, so I went with 22mm. This meant that I had to buy a new wrench - I ended up buying a breaker bar and a 22mm socket.

One of my wheels had swollen lug nuts already and I had to use the 22mm socket, the rest came off easy.

Edit: the lug nuts in these cars have to be torqued to 150ft-lb, which is more than any car I've had before. Get a torque wrench!

Hope this helps someone out there.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
just wanna add the lug nut torque is 150

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
The lug nut torque impressed me when I first saw that in the manual, due to the M14 studs.

As for the 2-piece lug nut design, I believe Ford has been using that for at least 20+ years. I remember them on my Crown Vic. I do know that I had to buy a 6-point 21mm socket for the Fusion because the 12-point wouldn't fit properly for some reason and the Imperial socket closest to 21mm (13/16"??) would fit on some, and then get stuck on others.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just wanna add the lug nut torque is 150
Possibly a dumb question but how much is that? My torque wrench is not the same size as my new socket so I couldn't use it, I just did what I've ways done with all my cars - tighten with a wrench but without putting all my strength into it. Am I in the correct ballpark?

·
Registered
225 Posts
...My torque wrench is not the same size as my new socket so I couldn't use it, I just did what I've ways done with all my cars - tighten with a wrench but without putting all my strength into it. Am I in the correct ballpark?
I suspect that you may be shy of 150 ft-lbs. My torque wrench goes to 150 ft-lbs, and when I torqued it I thought that I might break the stud for the socket; now I understand that it wouldn't really break, but still, it did feel like it would be stressing the stud more than I would have pushed it without using a torque wrench. Additionally, the torque wrench helps ensure that each lug nut is torqued the same.

·
Super Moderator
1,271 Posts
This is sticky material. Thanks LeVel!!!

Reactions: LeVeL

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys were right about the torque - I wasn't anywhere near 150lb-ft! Thanks for pointing that out! Bought a new torque wrench today and tightened up the lug nuts. Edited the OP to mention this.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Ford has been using these type of lugnuts for decades... I wonder if it has anything to do with the higher torque value for the lugnuts causing the shell to deform? Possibly also because socket sizes aren't always exact and people might be using something that "fits" but isn't exact? This is the first vehicle I had to go out and buy a 6-point 21mm socket for the lugnuts, every other car has worked with whatever 1/2" drive long sockets I had in my Craftsman sets.

My dad's E-250 has the 8600 GVW package so it has Load Range E wheel/tries with 8 lug wheels each lugnut torqued to 150 ft-lb. But those lugnuts are the steel acorns w/o the shell (they aren't designed to be fashionable).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I replaced the ones on my F150 that were starting to swell with some no name chrome ones, showing rust after one year. My Sport deserves better. Any opinions on Spline drive McGard nuts?

·
Super Moderator
1,394 Posts
@Booster If you like that style and don't mind needing the key/socket (maybe get a backup just in case), then go for it. Never had issues with McGard, and they definitely hold up better than cheaper lugs. Personally I've been using their "bulge" style on my Fusion since I got it in late '16, as well as my old '10 Focus for about 5 years, and both cars' lugs still show no signs of rust/issues.

Reactions: Booster

·
Registered
9 Posts
My only reason for considering spline is it seems I have to grind down or find a very thin socket for most wheels so the socket doesn't rub on the wheel. The McGards hex being 22mm has me concerned.
I'm not worried about the special tool, no different than if you have wheel locks.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I was looking through my owner's manual tonight and just noticed this little bit:

Retighten the lug nuts to the specified torque within 100 miles (160 kilometers) after any
wheel disturbance (such as tire rotation, changing a flat tire, wheel removal).

This is probably old news/obvious to many of you, but it was news to me, although it makes sense now that I consider that some movement probably "loosens things up" as it settles in. So if you don't already own a torque wrench, that's another good reason to get one, right there.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks @Engineer This thread is a good reminder to check your nuts! Mine we're a bit loose and not quite at 150lb-ft.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts