Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be taking both the edge sport and the fusion sport back to stock from my GREAT unleashed tunes Do not need the extra power in a foot of snow lol
- I would like to stop using 93 Octane and was wondering if anyone has used 87 or 89 in either of the above vehicles and what was the result - Gas is really getting expensive and expected to stay that way for a while - 3.29 a gallon for 93 and going up

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've been running 87 octane for the past couple tanks. Sixty cents a gallon isn't that much, but it adds up with my daily commute. Under certain passing situations, I think I notice the potentially lacking 30 ft lbs, but other than that I haven't noticed any driveability issues.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If this was a commuter for me I would probably investigate it to, but the car is such a dog on 87. Since it wasn't long ago I bought it, I remember how pitiful it felt on the dealer filled 87 octane tank. I have the 93/E30 tunes from Torrie and was running E30 all the time, but I only have one station with E85 near me, and its still a little drive. I switched back to 93 though since I do wonder about damage from constantly running a questionable mix of E85/93.

If we could make a true flex fuel conversion that would be ideal since E85 is alot cheaper. Of course you get horrible mpg, but think of the octane!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
car runs fine on 87, I did it for a while, but I chose to go back to 91. Even in winter I will run the 91. Yeah, it is more expensive, but oh well. Although part of me did debate doing a 87 mpg tune, or even a 91 mpg tune, for winter and road trips, just never have.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Been driving my car on 87 since April, should hit 7000 miles next week, with no issues.
I have run a few tanks of 93 just for fun, and yes there is a very noticeable difference in power, but I drive 95% highway and
have zero chance of any fun, so I run 87.
This car still moves out running lower octane.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I run 91, but did run the first full tank of crap 87 gas from the dealer. I prefer the 91 due to lack of ethanol in it, our 87 can have 10% + . The car ran fine on the 87 from a commuter perspective.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the in put - think I will compromise and run 89 in the edge it will be mostly highway commute all winter - will leave the fusion with the tune and run the 93

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I think as these engines get older and coked up on the valves,
the higher octane might be a requirement down the road.
(although so far no problem with reg on our 14, 2.0 escape @ 69K)

Reminds me, I need to look into catch cans for this thing.

·
Registered
552 Posts
i asked for and received an 87 WINTER tune from Unleashed. That's what I'll be running in a couple of months. Not sure what the difference is, but I asked Torrie, and he said he could do it.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Ran 87 untuned last winter from Mid January to close to May. Absolutely no issues. Especially for just commuting, which is all I drive it for in the winter, it's perfectly fine and still fast. After several months you start to forget how much better it runs on 93 and tuned.
Others will laugh or think I'm crazy but I honestly started to think that it wasn't that much different going untuned and on 87. It's a good car, it can certainly be satisfying stock on 87.
Of course those thoughts quickly vanished when I loaded Unleashed's latest tune in the Spring. It was cool, like Christmas in April.

Anyone run a 87 mileage centeric tune from Unleashed? Thinking of doing one for this winter.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Ran 87 untuned last winter from Mid January to close to May. Absolutely no issues. Especially for just commuting, which is all I drive it for in the winter, it's perfectly fine and still fast. After several months you start to forget how much better it runs on 93 and tuned.
Others will laugh or think I'm crazy but I honestly started to think that it wasn't that much different going untuned and on 87. It's a good car, it can certainly be satisfying stock on 87.
Of course those thoughts quickly vanished when I loaded Unleashed's latest tune in the Spring. It was cool, like Christmas in April.

Anyone run a 87 mileage centeric tune from Unleashed? Thinking of doing one for this winter.
My plan is to run the 87 tune starting towards the end October first of November. Plan to run it for 5 months for a whopping savings of 250 bucks. I feel once winter blend gas hits, the performance drops off anyways so why not switch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts