Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
You spent thousands of dollars on performance upgrades and ended up with a slower car but you don't want to learn anything about cars. Ok then, good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
You spent thousands of dollars on performance upgrades and ended up with a slower car but you don't want to learn anything about cars. Ok then, good luck.
Hey man, my car was upper 4 second range until recently. Something changed. Torrie told me I need new, better plugs. He knows more than you or me. Don't you have some place you need to be? Like out of my thread?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Mikehoo66 - speaking from personal experience; you might want to (respectfully of course) push back on Torrie on the plugs. The thread that Vidmo references includes my experience with “one temp range cooler” vendor description that may not be totally accurate when it comes to the actual specs versus OE. With your engineering background you can probably comprehend the actual data better than average and make an informed judgement. That said, it’s a relatively minimal expense, and the install is mild on the effort scale. So if the dollar to aggravation ratio doesn’t bother you, then you are spot on...it’s your time and money.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Mikehoo66 - speaking from personal experience; you might want to (respectfully of course) push back on Torrie on the plugs. The thread that Vidmo references includes my experience with “one temp range cooler” vendor description that may not be totally accurate when it comes to the actual specs versus OE. With your engineering background you can probably comprehend the actual data better than average and make an informed judgement. That said, it’s a relatively minimal expense, and the install is mild on the effort scale. So if the dollar to aggravation ratio doesn’t bother you, then you are spot on...it’s your time and money.
Thanks for the additional information Shawnski. I will chat with Torrie and see what he says. Question for you, without looking through other threads, how much did the Lincoln turbos set you back? Huge performance difference I imagine.

·
Registered
246 Posts
$476.11 for the pair from LKQ.
Best time before turbos [email protected]
typical more like 13.00-13.30
Best time after turbos
[email protected]
Consistently 12.40s
Note that I’m on LMS 93 octane tune and they offer zero updates to their tune for my mods unless I go there and dyno-tune. I’m pretty much convinced that Unleashed tune with Torrie’s help would take it into the flat 12s possibly better. Just a matter of ponying up the moolah. Hard to swallow buying ANOTHER tuner.

Reactions: Blue Fuze

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
$476.11 for the pair from LKQ.
Best time before turbos [email protected]
typical more like 13.00-13.30
Best time after turbos
[email protected]
Consistently 12.40s
Note that I’m on LMS 93 octane tune and they offer zero updates to their tune for my mods unless I go there and dyno-tune. I’m pretty much convinced that Unleashed tune with Torrie’s help would take it into the flat 12s possibly better. Just a matter of ponying up the moolah. Hard to swallow buying ANOTHER tuner.
That’s a big difference. Well worth the money you spent in my opinion. That’s why I love the Fusion Sport, it’s sneaky fast. You see a Mustang next to you at a light you know it’s probably fast. You see a Fusion next to you, not a threat. I love the look on people’s faces when they see that the grocery getter is also pretty fast. Hopefully I will get my pep back. Can’t imagine how quick your car feels. I appreciate you taking the time to answer. Good stuff.

·
Registered
246 Posts
On any given day at the track in Street Tire class it’s Mustangs. Mustangs. Mustangs. And Hellcats, SRT8s, and every other platform Mopar stuffs their hemi into. I think everyone has the same experience and our FFS ends up being a minor celebrity because folks just can’t wrap their heads around 165 cubic inches...The supercharger alone on a 6.2 Hellcat is 145 cubic inches! It’s fun to be a sleeper, I’ve always loved a Q-ship!

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
I can share that launch and 60ft times have ALOT to do with 0-60 and 1/4 times/mph. I have not taken this car to the track since I didn't buy it for that purpose, but I have taken many cars there. They do not seem to respond well to long or drawn out brake boosting, but a quick throttle stab and then brake release seems to produce great launches.

I do not know how many miles your car has, but if you have done datalogging and sent it to Torrie I would trust his recommendations. I would probably have changed the plugs first anyways, along with air filter and cleaned the maf sensor. After checking that all hoses and connections were tight of course.

Tuner alone made a HUGE difference on my car, so much so I have not felt the need to do any other mods yet.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Reactions: Shawnski

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I can share that launch and 60ft times have ALOT to do with 0-60 and 1/4 times/mph. I have not taken this car to the track since I didn't buy it for that purpose, but I have taken many cars there. They do not seem to respond well to long or drawn out brake boosting, but a quick throttle stab and then brake release seems to produce great launches.

I do not know how many miles your car has, but if you have done datalogging and sent it to Torrie I would trust his recommendations. I would probably have changed the plugs first anyways, along with air filter and cleaned the maf sensor. After checking that all hoses and connections were tight of course.

Tuner alone made a HUGE difference on my car, so much so I have not felt the need to do any other mods yet.
Thanks for the info FFSTT, I plan on changing the plugs this weekend and check for any other issues that I see. I will have had my car for 4 years this October. Only have 45k as of today. Luckily I am able to work from home, which keeps my miles down.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for the info FFSTT, I plan on changing the plugs this weekend and check for any other issues that I see. I will have had my car for 4 years this October. Only have 45k as of today. Luckily I am able to work from home, which keeps my miles down.
I hear you about the work from home, I have owned my fuspo for a little over 3 years and have just over 15k on it. I also have a minibike I used to commute on when I did work in the office.

Just remember when diagnosing car issues pay attention to everything, and Google can be your friend (or enemy). ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey @mikehoo66 When you change the plugs take a moment and check the gaps on the ones you pull out. I'll be curious what they are.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
The key is the 60' time, you absolutely need to be in the 1.8xx range to set competitive times. 1.7 if you have really sticky tires. The stock Badyears aren't the best at anything.

The second part is the launch RPM. You absolutely want to power brake boost the launch. The 2.7 EcoBoost doesn't have the same low end off the line grunt as the 3.5 EcoBoost, but even the 3.5 should be power brake boosted for the best possible 1/4 mile times.

Just flashing the converter or stabbing the throttle off the line, the car will launch hard after the first few feet of "lag". But if you power brake launch at the light (as an example) against a Scat Pack or Mustang GT or Camaro SS, the Fusion Sport (or SHO) will launch like a missile out of a tube while the 2WD car is trying to get traction.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The key is the 60' time, you absolutely need to be in the 1.8xx range to set competitive times. 1.7 if you have really sticky tires. The stock Badyears aren't the best at anything.

The second part is the launch RPM. You absolutely want to power brake boost the launch. The 2.7 EcoBoost doesn't have the same low end off the line grunt as the 3.5 EcoBoost, but even the 3.5 should be power brake boosted for the best possible 1/4 mile times.

Just flashing the converter or stabbing the throttle off the line, the car will launch hard after the first few feet of "lag". But if you power brake launch at the light (as an example) against a Scat Pack or Mustang GT or Camaro SS, the Fusion Sport (or SHO) will launch like a missile out of a tube while the 2WD car is trying to get traction.
Agreed on 60ft times, I have not taken this car to a track, but I used to live at Houston Raceway Park back in the day.

I am curious what the best launch RPM is for this car. If people are achieving 1.7x times with stock tires (I think I have seen that here) that has to be about the best the stock tires can do, but I would be curious to find out. ;)

When I say stab I just meant don't sit on the launch very long, I have had it cut power and perform worse when brake boosting excessively. Admittedly it could be a unique situation, and I have not taken this car to the track or launched it hard super often. When it launches there has been no lag, so perhaps I am brake boosting a little more than just a stab. Either way a bad launch can make the car seem like a dog, and lose races to cars it should beat (or at least embarrass).

·
Registered
246 Posts
I’d argue that each track is different and will affect your launch strategy accordingly. For me, on 90% tread street tires at my track, on “no prep” nights I cannot launch above 2000-2200 rpm or I will have ungodly wheel hop. On “prep” nights, I can get 2500. I’ve tried all kinds of tire pressure, too. But I have to say, with the MKZ turbos, I get boost lag always, no matter how I launch, unless I “roll into” the throttle which then takes me right back to 1.8-1.9 60ft anyway and not consistent, so I boost launch.

Reactions: metroplex

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I’d argue that each track is different and will affect your launch strategy accordingly. For me, on 90% tread street tires at my track, on “no prep” nights I cannot launch above 2000-2200 rpm or I will have ungodly wheel hop. On “prep” nights, I can get 2500. I’ve tried all kinds of tire pressure, too. But I have to say, with the MKZ turbos, I get boost lag always, no matter how I launch, unless I “roll into” the throttle which then takes me right back to 1.8-1.9 60ft anyway and not consistent, so I boost launch.
How are your 60's with the MKZ Turbos when properly launched? I once boost launched so hard in the SHO (at 3k or so) that it caused the PCM to enter some kind of limp mode. It was a torque error that I never got around to ID'ing and fixing.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I had exact same experience at the track while experimenting with launch rpms (first pic)...trying to launch at 3000, pushed through the brakes into red light, basically stalled as computer shut down torque, recovered and still ran 12.90!! My 60s are typically 2.0-1.9 when launching at 2000. Just last night I upped to 2500 and consistent 1.8s (second pic) and only slight spin at launch but did break traction one pass with the 2-3 shift.

Attachments

Reactions: metroplex
41 - 60 of 86 Posts