Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone has any advice for me. I bought my Fusion Sport in October of 2016. I love my car but it has frustrated me at times. My upgrades are...after market intercooler, throttle body spacer, blow off valve, cat back exhaust, CAI, and a 93 tune from Torrie. Saturday I was curious as to what my 0-60 time is. Over and over again it was 5.5. If the 0-60 time stock from the factory is between 5.2 to 5.5, what the hell could be wrong with my car??? Was expecting something at least in the upper 4 second range at minimum. Money out the window I guess.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I am wondering if anyone has any advice for me. I bought my Fusion Sport in October of 2016. I love my car but it has frustrated me at times. My upgrades are...after market intercooler, throttle body spacer, blow off valve, cat back exhaust, CAI, and a 93 tune from Torrie. Saturday I was curious as to what my 0-60 time is. Over and over again it was 5.5. If the 0-60 time stock from the factory is between 5.2 to 5.5, what the hell could be wrong with my car??? Was expecting something at least in the upper 4 second range at minimum. Money out the window I guess.
Not sure what the problem is. What is the elevation where you live? Did you try recording 0-60 before the modifications?

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what the problem is. What is the elevation where you live? Did you try recording 0-60 before the modifications?

I live in a low elevation in Virginia. I never checked before the upgrades unfortunately.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I live in a low elevation in Virginia. I never checked before the upgrades unfortunately.
Not sure what what's going on. Did you try to reach out to Torrie and look and your data logs? Your car might be pulling timing due to bad plugs or bad gas

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply Eddie, I will check with Torrie again. I will post what he finds out.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hi mikehoo. It is difficult to determine if anything is wrong, since you do not have before-the-upgrade times. However, the reality of the situation is that the only two mods you performed that will actually do anything for performance as opposed to sound or look good are the tune and intercooler upgrades. The throttle body spacer, BOV, cat back exhaust and CAI are okay for bragging rights, but that is about it.

Since you have the tune, work with the company for improvements.

Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi mikehoo. It is difficult to determine if anything is wrong, since you do not have before-the-upgrade times. However, the reality of the situation is that the only two mods you performed that will actually do anything for performance as opposed to sound or look good are the tune and intercooler upgrades. The throttle body spacer, BOV, cat back exhaust and CAI are okay for bragging rights, but that is about it.

Good luck.

Good luck.
Thanks bbf, as they say...a fool and his money are soon parted!

·
Registered
11 Posts
It also depends on humidity temperature etc. I am in same boat I run 5.4 to 60 as well but I did add about 100lbs of dynamat to the car. I dont have intercooler upgrade btw.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Wait for some cooler air.

Reactions: mikehoo66

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mike, Your story is a fascinating one. Let me share mine & it'll be interesting to see what responses we get: I have very similar mods as you do. I met a fellow FFS owner at the drag strip back in 2018. He had very similar mods as we do. His car was a FULL SECOND faster than mine! After much discussion, we decided to swap cars to get an indicator if maybe it was driving skill. Unfortunately, it started to rain & we never got a chance to perform our test. Assuming our driving skills were the same, it's our understanding that, like it or not, some cars are manufactured different than others. A lame explanation, but I'd like to get some feedback from other members' experiences, rumors...etc... I've attached the time slip. Time Slip.jpg

·
Registered
612 Posts
Don't just check with Torrie, datalog. It tells him exactly what your car is doing.
After having my car tuned for a year, I finally ran a few datalog passes Saturday night and sent them to Torrie.
I sent them around 8:30 pm, at 9:25 pm he had sent me a revised tune,(how's that for customer service).
The only issue I was seeing was my timing retarded 3.7 degrees when it shifted into 5th, which was a bit drastic.
But also he could add timing down low which I can tell has made a huge difference.
My MPG's have even been increasing from the revised tune, this tank I'm up to 27.2 mpg.
Also note, Sport mode makes a huge difference, I ran 13.36 without sport mode and 12.94 with.

·
Registered
245 Posts
An issue like this is complicated to diagnose because there’s so many variables. I’m thinking this under-performance is too severe to just be “manufacturing tolerances” though. First place I’d check is your IC pipe connections. A small leak left over from installing the FMIC will kill your power.
If you disconnected the harness from your TB to install the spacer, it would be worth the effort to reset the calibration just in case.
Something that often gets overlooked when comparing time slips is the weight of the car with driver. Lower curb weight was one of the reasons I chose the Fusion Sport over the Edge Sport because I intended to race the car. Curb weight is really a factor when you’re talking 0-60 times.
Many FFS out there are totally loaded, and those options add a surprising amount of performance robbing weight. I travel for work so my trunk is always full of samples, literature, PPE, tools, etc. that drag down performance. And speaking of junk in the trunk, it’s not very PC to say so but if a guy is six foot something and weighs 280 lbs. in a car identical to mine, he’s spotting me 120 lbs. I think it would take stripping out the seats to make that up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
An issue like this is complicated to diagnose because there’s so many variables. I’m thinking this under-performance is too severe to just be “manufacturing tolerances” though. First place I’d check is your IC pipe connections. A small leak left over from installing the FMIC will kill your power.
If you disconnected the harness from your TB to install the spacer, it would be worth the effort to reset the calibration just in case.
Something that often gets overlooked when comparing time slips is the weight of the car with driver. Lower curb weight was one of the reasons I chose the Fusion Sport over the Edge Sport because I intended to race the car. Curb weight is really a factor when you’re talking 0-60 times.
Many FFS out there are totally loaded, and those options add a surprising amount of performance robbing weight. I travel for work so my trunk is always full of samples, literature, PPE, tools, etc. that drag down performance. And speaking of junk in the trunk, it’s not very PC to say so but if a guy is six foot something and weighs 280 lbs. in a car identical to mine, he’s spotting me 120 lbs. I think it would take stripping out the seats to make that up.
The intercooler hose popped off as soon I put it on about 9 months ago, had the installer put it back on. While the car isn’t performing as non-turboed like it was when the hose came off, I never thought about leaks from the hose somewhere, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't just check with Torrie, datalog. It tells him exactly what your car is doing.
After having my car tuned for a year, I finally ran a few datalog passes Saturday night and sent them to Torrie.
I sent them around 8:30 pm, at 9:25 pm he had sent me a revised tune,(how's that for customer service).
The only issue I was seeing was my timing retarded 3.7 degrees when it shifted into 5th, which was a bit drastic.
But also he could add timing down low which I can tell has made a huge difference.
My MPG's have even been increasing from the revised tune, this tank I'm up to 27.2 mpg.
Also note, Sport mode makes a huge difference, I ran 13.36 without sport mode and 12.94 with.
Embarrassed to ask this, but how do I datalog?🥴

·
Registered
612 Posts
Depends on what tuner you have
I run a BDX tuner from Unleashed, you plug it in to the OBD2 port and hit the record button and upload the log to the cloud. Torrie downloads it and can revise a tune based on the data log results.

This is the obvious reason your car is not performing like you had hoped it would, you have a ton of aftermarket
parts and a canned tune, not a tune based on you parts installed.

Oreo did a decent writeup

You can Google it, there are MANY youtube vids, that's how I figured it out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Depends on what tuner you have
I run a BDX tuner from Unleashed, you plug it in to the OBD2 port and hit the record button and upload the log to the cloud. Torrie downloads it and can revise a tune based on the data log results.

This is the obvious reason your car is not performing like you had hoped it would, you have a ton of aftermarket
parts and a canned tune, not a tune based on you parts installed.

Oreo did a decent writeup

You can Google it, there are MANY youtube vids, that's how I figured it out.
My unit is a BDX Rev-X. I got 3 custom tunes from Torrie.

·
Registered
1 Posts
that's hard to identify the real problem, my first to 3rd mods are supervised by my mechanic friend, have you tried to ask a mechanic near you i think they can give you accurate and real-time advice

·
Registered
612 Posts
Same tuner I have, you can actually datalog directly with the tuner and upload the datalog to the cloud.
I'm not sure how that works exactly, I don't know how Torrie knows it's your car.

I've always used the tuner cabled to a laptop and use the SCT program Livelink
to datalog, then save the file and email to to Torrie.
It's really easy, watch the Youtube vids and download the SCT software for free.
One of the many videos I watched

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you have a WiFi hotspot on your phone or WiFi access from your garage you don’t need to plug in to a computer.
First create an account at SCTflash.com and register your device under your account.
To record a datalog you need the specific gauges/datalog set Torrie will send you and a safe place to do a WOT run from 0-however fast you can mange. With Torrie’s datalog set loaded up in the gauge mode hit record (small round center button) and then floor it. After your run hit the record button again to stop recording. Exit the gauge/datalog mode and enter Cloud sync mode. Make sure your BDX is connected to your phone’s hotspot or home wife and perform the cloud sync. If all that worked it will deliver the datalog file to the email you registered at sctflash.com which you can then forward to Torrie.
As I’m typing all this gibberish I realize I just need to make a Simple video to help people out. I’ll post that soon.
Good luck!

1 - 20 of 86 Posts