Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a lot to take in for someone who's never looked into this stuff before. There's multiple tunes for my car, something about sct scanners, some things come with a custom tune automatically. I'm just so confused on what I need in order to get the unleashed tune for my car

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
do you have a programmer already?

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
I have had many Unleashed tunes he is very good

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have had many Unleashed tunes he is very good
That's what I've heard, also so far the customer service is fantastic. I'm going with the BDX Unleashed REV-X Custom Tuner, it comes with 2 free custom tunes right now which sounds good enough to me lol

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
what kind of octane fuel do you have around and are you willing to mix fuels , bdx will get the job done but if the x4 is the same price then I would suggest that , X4 has a better gauge option / bigger display

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what kind of octane fuel do you have around and are you willing to mix fuels , bdx will get the job done but if the x4 is the same price then I would suggest that , X4 has a better gauge option / bigger display
I use premium, and from what I gather that'll be the only fuel I can use after I tune it, or at least that's what the shop said when I talked to them. I already bought the bdx lol, I'm not too worried about it as long as it does what I need it to do

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
it will work just fine

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I recommend doing more research so you gain a good understanding of what you're doing, what's being altered, how the process works, etc.
I agree with @LeVeL on this. I also would kind of suggest the following might be a good general rule, although everybody is different:

1. Looking for a simple all-in-one prepackaged tuner with no adjustments, just something that works? Livernois.
2. Looking for a prepackaged tuner, but want to do some pulls and provide feedback and get adjustments? Unleashed.
3. Looking for a more custom experience, probably a little higher-end but still managed by a tuner company? Tuning by James.
4. Wanting to learn how this all works inside, be able to tweak it all yourself, and have absolute max control? HP Tuners.

Like I said, everyone's different, and everyone thinks theirs is the best. It probably is, for them. But I do believe the above is a good general guide. So what you need to do is figure out which of the above best matches what you want.

There's also the following:

0. Looking to have the absolute most reliability and preserve your warranty on a car that's already fast from factory? Leave it stock.

I know, I know; it's not popular with enthusiasts, but there it is. It's a great choice for a lot of folks. It has to be said.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I agree with @LeVeL on this. I also would kind of suggest the following might be a good general rule, although everybody is different:

1. Looking for a simple all-in-one prepackaged tuner with no adjustments, just something that works? Livernois.
2. Looking for a prepackaged tuner, but want to do some pulls and provide feedback and get adjustments? Unleashed.
3. Looking for a more custom experience, probably a little higher-end but still managed by a tuner company? Tuning by James.
4. Wanting to learn how this all works inside, be able to tweak it all yourself, and have absolute max control? HP Tuners.

Like I said, everyone's different, and everyone thinks theirs is the best. It probably is, for them. But I do believe the above is a good general guide. So what you need to do is figure out which of the above best matches what you want.

There's also the following:

0. Looking to have the absolute most reliability and preserve your warranty on a car that's already fast from factory? Leave it stock.

I know, I know; it's not popular with enthusiasts, but there it is. It's a great choice for a lot of folks. It has to be said.
Well said sir!

·
Registered
110 Posts
That's what I've heard, also so far the customer service is fantastic. I'm going with the BDX Unleashed REV-X Custom Tuner, it comes with 2 free custom tunes right now which sounds good enough to me lol
I have had the BDX for a couple years now and I love it. If I am not mistaken you need a laptop to datalog with it but you do not with the BDX. You just hit record and upload it to your computer after.

If I am mistaken please let me know. I have never used the X4 before.

·
Registered
705 Posts
@lightning2658, I suggest to take a look at @Oreo Data logging primer. Get some idea of the how to do the datalogging. You have a different device than Oreo, but the steps can't be that much different. Once install your first tune, I recommend doing at least one data log and sending it to Torey, so that he can tweak it for you specific car. Then you should be good to go. After that, the only change to your tune you will need is if you start bolting on after market parts, such as FMIC and TB.

Once you tune you are not locked into just the octane level of your tune. If you need to, you can always revert back to the stock tune. Recommend you revert back to stock tune when going in for dealer servicing.

Have fun! Enjoy!

Side note: If you bought your car used, it may already have a tune installed on it and you just don't know it (mine did, even as a certified pre-owned). Torrie may ask you to provide him with some info from your tuning device, such as current "strategy" prior to installing a new tune. If you already have aftermarket tune installed, he will have to send you a new stock tune to install and over write the aftermarket tune. So, don't be shocked if that happens.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Side note: If you bought your car used, it may already have a tune installed on it and you just don't know it (mine did, even as a certified pre-owned).
@maydk65 bought a "Fusion Sport w/ Performance Package" ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@lightning2658, I suggest to take a look at @Oreo Data logging primer. Get some idea of the how to do the datalogging. You have a different device than Oreo, but the steps can't be that much different. Once install your first tune, I recommend doing at least one data log and sending it to Torey, so that he can tweak it for you specific car. Then you should be good to go. After that, the only change to your tune you will need is if you start bolting on after market parts, such as FMIC and TB.

Once you tune you are not locked into just the octane level of your tune. If you need to, you can always revert back to the stock tune. Recommend you revert back to stock tune when going in for dealer servicing.

Have fun! Enjoy!

Side note: If you bought your car used, it may already have a tune installed on it and you just don't know it (mine did, even as a certified pre-owned). Torrie may ask you to provide him with some info from your tuning device, such as current "strategy" prior to installing a new tune. If you already have aftermarket tune installed, he will have to send you a new stock tune to install and over write the aftermarket tune. So, don't be shocked if that happens.
Yeah I have to wait for my programmer to come in so I can log some of the info on my car and send it to him to get everything started. For reverting it back to the stock tune, how would I go about that?

·
Registered
705 Posts
If your car has a stock tune, when you get ready to load your new tune, the programmer will prompt you to save your stock tune

If your car already has a tune, Torrie will have to send you new stock tune which you will have to load to your programmer, load to your car.

Loading tunes is not difficult. Just take your time. Very important to read all the instructions that comes with your programmer, before you even plug it in. That way you don't get surprised. In the middle of loading the tune.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If your car has a stock tune, when you get ready to load your new tune, the programmer will prompt you to save your stock tune

If your car already has a tune, Torrie will have to send you new stock tune which you will have to load to your programmer, load to your car.

Loading tunes is not difficult. Just take your time. Very important to read all the instructions that comes with your programmer, before you even plug it in. That way you don't get surprised. In the middle of loading the tune.
awesome thank you so much!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Yeah, flashing is easy. Take it from the guy that does it four or five times a day sometimes, LOL.

Reactions: MY27FUSION

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Yeah, flashing is easy. Take it from the guy that does it four or five times a day sometimes, LOL.
You rock man, seriously. :cool: I still need to get one of those tablets like you've got to carry around so I can adjust settings on the fly.

·
Registered
782 Posts
It works really good, plus I need it for the system, and if I get bored I fire up a hot spot with my phone then I have the net on the go.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts