Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I currently drive a 2013 MKZ Hybrid, and while it’s been a great car, I really miss having more power as my car history includes ‘03 Mustang Cobra, CTS-V’s, E39 M5, Volvo V70R, etc.

So, I am thinking about giving the MKZ to the wife and getting a Fusion Sport as the used ones seem to go under $20k which is a great value considering the power and features. I also like the looks. From the reviews the only thing that seems to be a bit of a downside is the somewhat slow transmission. How bad of a problem is it? Can it be improved with tuning? I mean my MKZ currently has a CVT, so it’s not like I will be downgrading regardless.

Other than that, is there anything else I should look out for when looking at a used one? Any reliability issues? My MKZ has been worry-free for the most part.

By the way, do all Sports come with standard remote start? That’s the only feature is a must have for me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hey guys,

I currently drive a 2013 MKZ Hybrid, and while it’s been a great car, I really miss having more power as my car history includes ‘03 Mustang Cobra, CTS-V’s, E39 M5, Volvo V70R, etc.

So, I am thinking about giving the MKZ to the wife and getting a Fusion Sport as the used ones seem to go under $20k which is a great value considering the power and features. I also like the looks. From the reviews the only thing that seems to be a bit of a downside is the somewhat slow transmission. How bad of a problem is it? Can it be improved with tuning? I mean my MKZ currently has a CVT, so it’s not like I will be downgrading regardless.

Other than that, is there anything else I should look out for when looking at a used one? Any reliability issues? My MKZ has been worry-free for the most part.

By the way, do all Sports come with standard remote start? That’s the only feature is a must have for me.

Thanks!
Hi @SycoraX , welcome to the forum!

First, I'm assuming here we're talking about the Gen2 FFS (2017-2019), since you're coming from a 2013. As far as I'm aware, all of these cars have remote start. I've never heard of one that didn't have that. I would say that since you're coming from a Lincoln, you might want to consider the 401A package, and the Driver Assist / Automatic Cruise options. Those really make the car a lot nicer in my opinion, especially if you have a tough commute.

You could also consider the MKZ with the 3.0 Ecoboost. That's based on the same chassis and is very similar but obviously more posh. Since you're coming from a Lincoln, I just figured I'd throw that out there as a thing to consider.

Either way, both of these are great cars. I think they're extremely reliable. If you get a really early 2017 there were some issues with the engine and the battery draw (related to the audio control module I think). Most of those units have probably been fixed by now, but there could still be some out there. But it's only the really early 2017s that have those problems as far as I'm aware. Other than that, a few people have seen oil pan leaks, not usually major but they just need to have the dealer pull it off and put a new one on properly. If done correctly that shouldn't be an issue any more after that. I honestly think any problems you hear about are usually overblown because my impression is these are very solid, reliable cars.

One of the reasons I bought the FFS is that the car is so overpowered that it doesn't have to work hard. To my mind, that makes it more reliable because it doesn't have to exhaust itself just to move.

Anyway good luck with whatever you do, but in my opinion these are very high quality cars, and are certainly significant a step above the average family sedan. At this price range, there isn't anything close that offers what these cars offer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi @SycoraX , welcome to the forum!

First, I'm assuming here we're talking about the Gen2 FFS (2017-2019), since you're coming from a 2013. As far as I'm aware, all of these cars have remote start. I've never heard of one that didn't have that. I would say that since you're coming from a Lincoln, you might want to consider the 401A package, and the Driver Assist / Automatic Cruise options. Those really make the car a lot nicer in my opinion, especially if you have a tough commute.

You could also consider the MKZ with the 3.0 Ecoboost. That's based on the same chassis and is very similar but obviously more posh. Since you're coming from a Lincoln, I just figured I'd throw that out there as a thing to consider.

Either way, both of these are great cars. I think they're extremely reliable. If you get a really early 2017 there were some issues with the engine and the battery draw (related to the audio control module I think). Most of those units have probably been fixed by now, but there could still be some out there. But it's only the really early 2017s that have those problems as far as I'm aware. Other than that, a few people have seen oil pan leaks, not usually major but they just need to have the dealer pull it off and put a new one on properly. If done correctly that shouldn't be an issue any more after that. I honestly think any problems you hear about are usually overblown because my impression is these are very solid, reliable cars.

One of the reasons I bought the FFS is that the car is so overpowered that it doesn't have to work hard. To my mind, that makes it more reliable because it doesn't have to exhaust itself just to move.

Anyway good luck with whatever you do, but in my opinion these are very high quality cars, and are certainly significant a step above the average family sedan. At this price range, there isn't anything close that offers what these cars offer.
Thank you for a great response. Yes, I do like the Lincoln with the 3.0 and it’s something I may consider as well. I figured FFS is a bit more sporty and may handle better than the Lincoln.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Regarding the slow transmission - I think the manual shifting of this car is a crime against humanity. Ive found the upshifting to be the most egregious, downshifts aren’t as bad. That said; IMO manually shifting this car is completely unnecessary. Put it in Sport mode, push it hard, and it will respond. My car responds to throttle blips with downshifts and it’s a useful technique to keep the car in a higher rev range for aggressive driving. Left foot braking, right foot throttle blip, car downshifts, throttle down and climb to redline. You can rip around corners under hard acceleration to the point the car stability control kicks in. You may be a driver of a certain age (like myself) who remembers when you used to have to adjust your driving style to the vehicles traits to extract the last iota of performance. In the case of the FuSport, you get to know the timing and tendencies of the transmission and git ‘r done!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Thank you for a great response. Yes, I do like the Lincoln with the 3.0 and it’s something I may consider as well. I figured FFS is a bit more sporty and may handle better than the Lincoln.
I wouldn't say that necessarily. I think with the MKZ 3.0 vs the FFS, you get:

1. A larger, more powerful engine (but the 2.7 in the FFS is no slouch, and you can tune either of these cars).
2. An even better AWD system (I think the Intelligent AWD in the FFS is really nice but the AWD in the Lincoln is even better with true limited-slip differential)
3. A more posh interior (the interior in the FFS is still really nice, especially with the 401A package, but the MKZ is a Lincoln and that's obviously going to be even more so)
4. A significantly higher price for what is otherwise mostly the same car (your call as far as whether it's worth it)

So if you go with the MKZ, the only one I'd personally look at would be the MKZ 3.0 with AWD. Because if you don't get AWD, you only have FWD and you only get 350 HP. I'd rather have the FFS with 325 (and the ability to tune for more) and have its AWD, than have the MKZ with 350 and FWD. Granted, you could still tune the FWD MKZ but that's an awful lot of torque to put down into the front wheels.

But as far as handling and performance and so forth, that MKZ 3.0 with AWD can hold its own. It's going to perform even slightly better, stock, than the FFS. It's not a huge difference, but it's a difference, and it's in the favor of the Lincoln. So don't think just because it's a Lincoln it isn't sporty. It can hang with the FFS, and many other very respectable cars. But you do pay a hefty price for it. For the money, I think you get a lot more car per dollar with the FFS, but if money was unlimited I'd rather have the MKZ 3.0 AWD. If that helps.

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Registered
'17 Magnetic; Unleashed Tune, FMIC
136 Posts
Everyone has given some very technical answers SycoraX, i'm just going to speak from my personal experience and time with this car for the last few months I've owned it.

I was an Acura fan for a long time, '01C L TypeS, '08 TL TypeS were the last two and that covers almost 15 years. That being said a large chunk of my car buddies are Ford guys. Mustangs, Cobras, GT350s, Raptors all years, all build levels.

What did it for me was my buddy taking me for a spin in his tuned '17 Fusion Sport which is what I now own. Driveability for daily use, fun in sport or just drive, style, features, the list goes on.

You'll find lots of useful info here, everyone is awesome at helping people out. I've always been the person to purchase something i'll enjoy driving for a long time cause I drive my cars for a long time and take care of them accordingly. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with the purchase either way!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
@SycoraX I also wanted to mention I just looked at the 2018 Fusion Order Guide and even the base model Fusion S has a remote and push-button start. So I can't imagine you'll find a Sport that doesn't have that, considering it's one of the very highest trim levels. Hope this helps.

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Registered
789 Posts
Tuning will fix the trans, understanding how it works is a big plus. You'll understand why it's not the speediest shifting thing, You want crisp n fast by a VW with a Dual clutch auto, then you can pretend your driving a F1 car. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
@SycoraX i recently traded my 2013 mkz on a 2017 sport fusion. I drove a 2015 fusion for 4 years and then drove the MKZ for about 9 months and missed the way the Fusion drove. I love my 2017 sport. It drives sportier with more road feeling compared to the Lincoln. I didnt like the way the MKZ shifted. Overall, I like the fusion much better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
@SycoraX I also wanted to mention I just looked at the 2018 Fusion Order Guide and even the base model Fusion S has a remote and push-button start. So I can't imagine you'll find a Sport that doesn't have that, considering it's one of the very highest trim levels. Hope this helps.
My 14 fusion and my girlfriends 17 se did not have remote start

·
Registered
789 Posts
All depends on how it is loaded, I have a 17 Sport 400A that has remote start and all the stuff I want. Only thing it didnt come with was the 8 inch touch screen, but that's gong to be fixed here soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts