Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I don't own a fusion, but I am looking for a commuter with a little oomph to it to supplement my current DD. I am possibly moving and my commute will got from about 20 to 60 miles. And driving that, even 2-3 days a week in my current car would just kill me in additional miles on the car and probably gas. The fusion sport is on my short list.

Wanted the ask those with 50k+ what are the common issues as the miles add up?
I've been lurking for a while and read some stuff on head issues. Seems like that was earlier models and anything with 30k+ (which is probably what I am looking at) would've already happened and been resolved.

Secondly seems Unleashed and Livernois are the two preferred tuners here. Unfortunately I live in Cali and it seems they don't ship or sell to us.... Booooo anybody from Cali on here who has their car tuned? I am really hoping to get some kind of a canned tune at least, to make the transition easier!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Honestly I don't know of anyone from California on here, Not the best state to live in if your into fast cars and modding.

Reactions: LeVeL and Dirtrcr

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly I don't know of anyone from California on here, Not the best state to live in if your into fast cars and modding.
So, so true.... I am not a huge mod guy but it would be nice to get at least a tune, especially for a turbo car. Seems like best bang for the buck, being a commuter I would like to keep it mostly stock.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport 2.7L TT AWD
888 Posts
Hello @Dirtrcr. I have a 2017 which I bought with 27k miles on it and it now has 63k. I have had no real issues, even though I have made several mods plus a tune. My only issue was when I first bought the car. The original owner had left his tune on the care unbeknownst to the selling dealership. The servicing dealership had to get through that to install a software update. Torrie @ Unleashed was able to get me a stock tune.

The only recommendations I would make is to check the service history of any Fusion Sport you may decide on. Also,
make sure to put it on a lift and get a good look of the under carriage to check for any transmission leaks and oil pan leaks. Our cars have a history of both. Theses issues are random and could happen to any of our cars.

Probably preaching to the choir, but keeping up with regular maintenance and using only Top Tier fuel, is the key to getting the most out out cars

Reactions: DaMiFo and Dirtrcr

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello @Dirtrcr. I have a 2017 which I bought with 27k miles on it and it now has 63k. I have had no real issues, even though I have made several mods plus a tune. My only issue was when I first bought the car. The original owner had left his tune on the care unbeknownst to the selling dealership. The servicing dealership had to get through that to install a software update. Torrie @ Unleashed was able to get me a stock tune.

The only recommendations I would make is to check the service history of any Fusion Sport you may decide on. Also,
make sure to put it on a lift and get a good look of the under carriage to check for any transmission leaks and oil pan leaks. Our cars have a history of both. Theses issues are random and could happen to any of our cars.

Probably preaching to the choir, but keeping up with regular maintenance and using only Top Tier fuel, is the key to getting the most out out cars
Right on, thanks that is good info. I am for sure trying to get something with a history of regular maintenance, but as I am sure you know can mean very little. I will make sure to check for leaks, I did not run across that in my short time looking at posts here so this is exactly the kind of heads up I was looking for!

I am very used to premium fuel and having cars with tires and brakes that are above average cost. So that is no surprise but again thanks for the note.

Was wondering, I have not looked at the regular maintenance/manual but do they recommend a turbo rebuild at some interval? Like 120k? If so do people just go bigger at that point?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Bought mine new. 73k on it now. Zero issues. One of the best balanced daily’s I’ve owned. Sleeper factor all day long.

Reactions: Dirtrcr

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
No turbo rebuilding that I know of or heard of. We did have one guy upgraded to a set of 3.0 turbos and said one of his was pretty bad when he pulled the stock 2.7's off.

Reactions: Dirtrcr

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bought mine new. 73k on it now. Zero issues. One of the best balanced daily’s I’ve owned. Sleeper factor all day long.
That's my hope. Seems like a nice interior to be in, nice little pep from the motor and the awd is something I just have. My current is an awd and a bit of a sleeper, so I love that combo and trying to stick with it!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Frankly, with your mod-hostile environment and high gas prices, I wouldn't choose the Fusion Sport. The gas mileage on these cars leaves a lot to be desired and most of us run 93, which is what, seven bucks in CA?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Frankly, with your mod-hostile environment and high gas prices, I wouldn't choose the Fusion Sport. The gas mileage on these cars leaves a lot to be desired and most of us run 93, which is what, seven bucks in CA?
Thanks to Biden, it is even worse now that he made E15 year round. I went from 23-24ish average in summer to 21-22.
And how would Unleashed know if you were in Cali unless you told him?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I now have 134+k on my 2017. I bought it new, and aside from having the engine, radiator, turbos, cats, and rear differential replaced at ~17k, nothing that I left stock has given me much trouble. I’ve daily-driven in all kinds of OH/PA/WV weather, and drag raced since new. I did have to replace rear active shocks around 80/90-ish. My transmission has been leaking from between the casting halves since ~80k so that’s potentially the biggest chicken that has thankfully not come to roost. All other problems I’ve had stemmed from mods. Before I put a tune in my car, bone stock, I was commuting 60 miles one way on rural highways (mostly steady, cruise-controlled 60mph) and knocking down 30+mpg on premium fuel! In town it was vastly different, mostly because I couldn’t help but hotrod around, resulting in 26.5mpg combined average. IMO this is a comfortable, reliable, all-weather grand-touring car that you can put a smile on your face every time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ha, here we don't even get 93, only 91! I totally get your point, the mod thing is super annoying. Mileage is all relative, my current car is sitting at about 13 average, 15 at best. So I am pretty sure this will be a step up, as far as gas mileage.

91 was $7 here in Cali for a few weeks, it is slowly sleeping down. But that's just how it is here. I have had several cars over the years that run premium gas and premium brakes and tires so to me it comes with the territory.

What I am looking for is something to commute, but at the same time is a little fun to drive, so whatever it comes down to it won't get "good" gas mileage, just a little better than current.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to Biden, it is even worse now that he made E15 year round. I went from 23-24ish average in summer to 21-22.
And how would Unleashed know if you were in Cali unless you told him?
I "assumed" you get a hand held tuner with some tunes. That would have to be sent to my house.... Or is it I buy my own and they just email me the tune?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Mileage is acceptable on highways, sucks in stop/start and city driving due to its weight.its comfortable and chews up the miles on long commutes. At 50 mph on flat roads and with cruise control, I average around 40mpg now and at 60, around 31mpg at 80 around 26/27mpg. Without cruise significantly less. In mixed traffic, around 21 mpg. At $8 a gallon, a full tank gets pricey. Most of the stock issues have been mentioned. You'll likely want to change the rotors with the miles that you're in the market for. The stock ones are susceptible to warp. Cooled seats don't work too well but many of us observed this from new.
Overall its a great compromise of DD versus weekend cruiser/sports car. If you need the 4 doors and legroom in the back there aren't too many other options in sedans in this price range. As you're going second hand though Audi may be an option - like an S3 if that size works for you. Similar power to weight with slightly better mileage.

Good luck on your decision and search.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I now have 134+k on my 2017. I bought it new, and aside from having the engine, radiator, turbos, cats, and rear differential replaced at ~17k, nothing that I left stock has given me much trouble. I’ve daily-driven in all kinds of OH/PA/WV weather, and drag raced since new. I did have to replace rear active shocks around 80/90-ish. My transmission has been leaking from between the casting halves since ~80k so that’s potentially the biggest chicken that has thankfully not come to roost. All other problems I’ve had stemmed from mods. Before I put a tune in my car, bone stock, I was commuting 60 miles one way on rural highways (mostly steady, cruise-controlled 60mph) and knocking down 30+mpg on premium fuel! In town it was vastly different, mostly because I couldn’t help but hotrod around, resulting in 26.5mpg combined average. IMO this is a comfortable, reliable, all-weather grand-touring car that you can put a smile on your face every time.
Thanks. Sounds like just the person I wanted feedback from. I was figuring about as much, if you are gentle with it, it should return alright mileage.

I guess I need to drive one. But I am certain that it should be a lot more fun than your average Camry/Accord and that is the point!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
It's not anything like an Accord or Camry, though they make some that come close.

Reactions: LeVeL and Dirtrcr

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I "assumed" you get a hand held tuner with some tunes. That would have to be sent to my house.... Or is it I buy my own and they just email me the tune?
Either way. I think he gives you two tunes free (or discounted rate) if you buy tuner from him, but I used my old one from my stang
and bought a better one to replace it. I don't think they know where I live, even to this day.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts