Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a long time coming, but hopefully, this marks the end of my transmission issues with my sport.
In January, I took my 2017 Sport into the dealer because I was missing gears, in a similar way that the Taurus SHO guys had with their version of the 6F55. I could no longer shift into 3rd, 5th, or reverse. After I got it back from the dealer the service report said there was an issue with the snap ring in the direct drive clutch assy and caused the clutch pack to no longer function.

I thought this would be the end and it continued to drive nicely up until the beginning of March when once again I lost gears. This time I had lost 1st and 2nd, which doesn't match up with any issues that were apparent on 6F55s of the past which I thought was strange, but once again I brought it back to the dealer. The dealer had it for about a month due to problems with getting enough technicians but at last, my baby has returned.

To my absolute enjoyment, instead of just replacing parts like last time, the dealer replaced the entire transmission assembly (driveshafts and everything), due to the immense amount of metal chunks and particulate in the casing. The car now feels amazing(possible placebo from driving a FFHybrid for a month but it even feels faster than before) and hopefully this new transmission erases any possible issues that might have been caused by the 40K the previous owner put on it.

Has anybody else had any crazy issues with the transmissions on these cars? From what I could tell catastrophic failure like this is pretty uncommon and hopefully I can prevent it from ever happening again.

·
Registered
987 Posts
My comments have fallen on deaf ears, but honest to goodness my 2014 SHO 6F55 ran perfectly straight as a factory order. The only tuning I did on it was increase the shift pressure just a hair and raise the torque limiting a tad for upshifts. That was it. It would bang off WOT shifts like clockwork. The only issue I had was the slow Select Shift downshifts and occaisonally when I was on the gas and forced a downshift into 1st gear, it would literally bang into gear. Since it was a lease, I did that frequently.

When I sold the SHO and got the 2017 Fusion Sport, I was absolutely dismayed at how horribly it shifted. There would be a big delay in WOT upshifts and forced downshifts took forever. It came to the point my Fusion Sport had a hard time passing a Silverado, and drag racing an EcoBoost Mustang saw the Mustang pulling away because I was losing so much time in the shifts.

When I got the 2018 Explorer XLT (6F55) it was even worse, WOT upshifts would bang against some kind of limiter followed by a long delay. The delay is similar to what I experienced in the Fusion Sport.

I saw some changes in the factory tuning versus the SHO, so I copied over all the settings and it made no difference. There would be no rhyme or reason as to when the WOT shifts would occur, even when I changed the tables for WOT shifts (RPM table and OSS table). I'd command something like 6000 RPM and it would bang against the 7100 RPM limiter.

I've been fine tuning it since then, and recently found out at least on the Explorer, that performing several WOT upshifts banging against some kind of limiter/delay, would cause the transmission to adapt. Subsequent WOT shifts would feel fine. So if I flashed the PCM with a new tune at the dragstrip, the first 2 passes would result in delayed WOT shifts and banging the limiter. With the 2014 SHO, I could flash the PCM and hop on the track with crisp shifts.

TL;DR
Ford did something to the newer 6F55s that I can't seem to impact via tuning. It must have been a hardware change or a software change that HPTuners isn't defining. I know this doesn't address your issues but thought I'd mention it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Bought my 2017 MKZ after driving my 2011 SHO for 4 years. Not sure why I expected the transmission to behave any better but certainly didn't expect it to get worse. I get the delayed wot shift after flash on the MKZ as well. Also sport is really bad after 60mph, will downshift right into the rev limiter.

·
Registered
368 Posts
My comments have fallen on deaf ears, but honest to goodness my 2014 SHO 6F55 ran perfectly straight as a factory order. The only tuning I did on it was increase the shift pressure just a hair and raise the torque limiting a tad for upshifts. That was it. It would bang off WOT shifts like clockwork. The only issue I had was the slow Select Shift downshifts and occaisonally when I was on the gas and forced a downshift into 1st gear, it would literally bang into gear. Since it was a lease, I did that frequently.

When I sold the SHO and got the 2017 Fusion Sport, I was absolutely dismayed at how horribly it shifted. There would be a big delay in WOT upshifts and forced downshifts took forever. It came to the point my Fusion Sport had a hard time passing a Silverado, and drag racing an EcoBoost Mustang saw the Mustang pulling away because I was losing so much time in the shifts.

When I got the 2018 Explorer XLT (6F55) it was even worse, WOT upshifts would bang against some kind of limiter followed by a long delay. The delay is similar to what I experienced in the Fusion Sport.

I saw some changes in the factory tuning versus the SHO, so I copied over all the settings and it made no difference. There would be no rhyme or reason as to when the WOT shifts would occur, even when I changed the tables for WOT shifts (RPM table and OSS table). I'd command something like 6000 RPM and it would bang against the 7100 RPM limiter.

I've been fine tuning it since then, and recently found out at least on the Explorer, that performing several WOT upshifts banging against some kind of limiter/delay, would cause the transmission to adapt. Subsequent WOT shifts would feel fine. So if I flashed the PCM with a new tune at the dragstrip, the first 2 passes would result in delayed WOT shifts and banging the limiter. With the 2014 SHO, I could flash the PCM and hop on the track with crisp shifts.

TL;DR
Ford did something to the newer 6F55s that I can't seem to impact via tuning. It must have been a hardware change or a software change that HPTuners isn't defining. I know this doesn't address your issues but thought I'd mention it.
This isnt the first time I've heard a former SHO owner complain about the transmission performance on the Fusion Sport, so you may be on to something there. Ford could have implemented some type of small hardware update for the subsequent 6F55 units used on their newer models.

But the fact that you continued to suffer from poor performance even after tuning (and the fact you couldn't beat a Silverado or mustang 4 cylinder) leads me to believe you may have had other underlying issues as well, either with the transmission or otherwise.

Our transmission sucks to be sure, but I can honestly say performance was vastly improved after I flashed the unleashed tune. The upshift delays are almost completely gone, as well as the random downshifts that dump you at redline. It really made a world of difference, as I have no problem pulling bus lengths on the cars you mentioned (but I do have the FMIC upgrade as well) Did you end up selling the Sport?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
987 Posts
This isnt the first time I've heard a former SHO owner complain about the transmission performance on the Fusion Sport, so you may be on to something there. Ford could have implemented some type of small hardware update for the subsequent 6F55 units used on their newer models.

But the fact that you continued to suffer from poor performance even after tuning (and the fact you couldn't beat a Silverado or mustang 4 cylinder) leads me to believe you may have had other underlying issues as well, either with the transmission or otherwise.

Our transmission sucks to be sure, but I can honestly say performance was vastly improved after I flashed the unleashed tune. The upshift delays are almost completely gone, as well as the random downshifts that dump you at redline. It really made a world of difference, as I have no problem pulling bus lengths on the cars you mentioned (but I do have the FMIC upgrade as well) Did you end up selling the Sport?

The Fusion Sport stock would have a hard time passing a Silverado and would be walked by an EcoBoost Mustang. Once I tuned it, it would be able to fly past almost anything on the street, but the upshifts weren't anywhere as good as the SHO. And off the line the Fusion Sport tuned felt a lot more sluggish than a tuned SHO. I also datalogged and can confirm these 2.7s are like over 100 ft-lb down on torque at lower RPMs. The SHO starts to pump out a lot of torque from 2700 to 3100 RPM whereas the Fusion's 2.7 only makes good torque at 4000+ RPM. I thought it was my imagination until I looked at my drag strip datalogs and sure enough I was right. The 3.5 EB just simply had more grunt down low and more power at the top end. I have not been able to examine the MKZ 3.0 stock read or had much of a chance datalogging the Explorer ST. Since the 3.0 is the same engine family as the 2.7, I imagine it may have the lack of low end torque as well but because the turbos are much bigger, it should really pump out power in the mid and high range RPMs.

·
Registered
368 Posts
The Fusion Sport stock would have a hard time passing a Silverado and would be walked by an EcoBoost Mustang. Once I tuned it, it would be able to fly past almost anything on the street, but the upshifts weren't anywhere as good as the SHO. And off the line the Fusion Sport tuned felt a lot more sluggish than a tuned SHO. I also datalogged and can confirm these 2.7s are like over 100 ft-lb down on torque at lower RPMs. The SHO starts to pump out a lot of torque from 2700 to 3100 RPM whereas the Fusion's 2.7 only makes good torque at 4000+ RPM. I thought it was my imagination until I looked at my drag strip datalogs and sure enough I was right. The 3.5 EB just simply had more grunt down low and more power at the top end. I have not been able to examine the MKZ 3.0 stock read or had much of a chance datalogging the Explorer ST. Since the 3.0 is the same engine family as the 2.7, I imagine it may have the lack of low end torque as well but because the turbos are much bigger, it should really pump out power in the mid and high range RPMs.
So you racing those cars you mentioned while on a stock tune?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts