Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting LMS tuner for my FFS and I've heard some confusing things around the net so I came here hoping someone can answer some questions/walk me through the process from purchase to installation to reverting. I'm (understandably, I think) cautious WRT modifying the engine/transmission parameters on my $45K car :)

Questions:
  • Is the tune/programmer standalone? or do I need to receive the programmer and download something, send it to LMS and wait to receive something back?
  • Can I revert to the stock 'tune' easily? I ask this because I've seen reference to someone needing to contact LMS to get their 'stock tune' back before going in for service and that just seemed... strange. I always assumed I would have access to the stock tune and could revert/reprogram at will, even if I might have to retain the stock profile myself.
  • Is the tuner USB or something? How do you get later tunes from LMS on to the device?
  • LMS says "lifetime support", so I assume they mean future tune updates, etc as part of that? Do they provide those automatically? or do I just need to login at their site to look for updates? or would I need to contact them periodically to look for updates?
  • Anyone here currently using an LMS tune? Does it feel worth it? Are you happy? Any problems? Running 93 octane or 87? Stock tires?
  • Any performance numbers around for an LMS tuned FFS? I've seen the dyno graphs on LMS's site, but those don't really say a while lot about performance on the street/feel of the vehicle. I've seen a hand cam video on Youtube, but I'm looking for real 0-60 and/or quarter mile changes with the tune.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any comments from anyone in the know.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
The tuner is standalone--you get a dongle which plugs into the ODB port with a cord which plugs into their MyCalibrator tool. The MyCalibrator gets its tunes from the download from LMS via a patch cord (supplied) attaching the MyCalibrator to your computer
You get your tunes--up to 3 from your initial request to them.
You can get the stock program with your two other tunes. You install your stock tune the same way as you install the performance tune--takes about 5-10 minutes.
Lifetime support equals new tunes and questions answered. There are periodic updates to the tunes--you need to check with their website or call them to become aware of new tunes.
Yes it's worth it. It's powerful and drives great. I've got the 93 octane V5 tune. Look to DaveE for his performance numbers below his avatar on his messages. 13.2 quarter mile time versus about a 13.5 or 6 stock quarter mile.

I enjoy the tune, hope you do too. A good many people use a tune from Torrie instead. There are no comparison #s. YMMV. cockerdogs

·
Registered
320 Posts
I am one of the few that seems to run their 91v5 tune, as high octane fuel just is not available anywhere near me. I have been running the tune for almost 2k miles without issue. I find the firmer shifting a significant improvement, as well as a big reduction in the third gear funny business. Traction is not an issue even in these cold climates.

I am hoping that once the spring weather hits, the tuners will start tweaking and updating the tunes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am very happy to be tuned by Livernois. It's been a great relationship (and fun) working with them and knowing the guys. I've used them on three Ecoboosts. '12 SHO, '15 1.5 Fusion and now the Sport. I worked with the tuner to develop the first Sport tune and on the first 3 bar tune for the 10-12 SHO. They have many tricks up their sleeves to deliver unmatched performance with a very safe, driveable tune. I still have hopes that a new tweaked version will be out before opening day at Great Lakes and bring me very close to if not into the 12's. My best time with the SHO before the 3 Bar was 13.001. Then with the 3 Bar and DP's I pulled a 12.52 which I still believe is a pump gas record. I'm not sure how my new wider/taller tires might effect my times. It is possible that even with a new tune I won't be any quicker/faster than I was with the stock wheel/tire combo (I have a few theories about this.). But, I'm gonna try my best!
I was down at LMS Yesterday, I spoke with Anthony and Matt about getting an update. Anthony said they are going to defenitly apply the magic from the MKZ to the edge and the fusion, just need time. The shop was completely full. They had a Chevy SS on the dyno, me and Matt walked back there and holy ****, I thought my ear drums blew out it was so loud.

Anthony said come spring time there will be a v6 for sure!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Awesome! I hope they send me an early version to test. LOL April 1st could be a big day at the track!
Weren't you supposed to set up a day on the dyno with them this winter? What happened? I was hoping to benefit from them playing with your car.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I must have been editing my post while you quoted me. Every time I see that I have been quoted, I cringe. Anyway, They just never had the time to invite me out there. And, really, it's a pretty long trip. I would have went but, I'd rather just get v6 when it comes out. That's not to say that I could still make it some time.
They should contact me, im 45 minutes away.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Sweet! I think I'll wait until my powertrain warranty is done before I pull the trigger. At this rate I should only have a year and a half to go.
sadly this is probably what ill wind up doing to i just cant risk it. What would be great is if ford racing came out with something for our car(you get a 3 year 36k warranty) so we would only have to wait 2 years.

·
Registered
481 Posts
You guys are chicken. I tuned my SHO at 800 mi. My 1.5 Fusion at 400 mi. And the Sport as soon as LME had something at about 1200 mi. You really don't know what you are missing. The gains are explosive.
hahahahha yup. Trust me i cant imagine this thing being almost as fast as my 13 GT and even killing it from a dig lol.

Reactions: 1153

·
Registered
868 Posts
sadly this is probably what ill wind up doing to i just cant risk it. What would be great is if ford racing came out with something for our car(you get a 3 year 36k warranty) so we would only have to wait 2 years.
My 30,000 mile per year pace will get me there in 2 years anyways. ;)

·
Registered
868 Posts
You guys are chicken. I tuned my SHO at 800 mi. My 1.5 Fusion at 400 mi. And the Sport as soon as LME had something at about 1200 mi. You really don't know what you are missing. The gains are explosive.
LOL. Oh we are playing chicken now, huh? Call me whatever you like. Granted many miles are highway, but being that it is the first year with the 2017 Fusion Sport and the 2.7TT, I'd like to at least let some of the early adopters work the bugs out for me. Then, once Livernois is on V100 of their tune, I'll jump on board! LOL

Curious, how many issue free tuned miles did you put on your SHO and 1.5?

·
Registered
481 Posts
My 30,000 mile per year pace will get me there in 2 years anyways. ;)
i need to find a reason to drive more hahaha

·
Registered
481 Posts
I think I put about 18,000 in a couple years with the SHO and about 9,000 in a year and a half with the '15 Fusion. I traded it as soon as I could get a Sport. I also did maybe 40 1/4 miles with the SHO and maybe a dozen or so with the '15. Not a single issue with either. There are many guys out there with a lot more miles on their tunes. LME has an outstanding record for safe tunes.
i would just hate to find out that 450+ ft lbs of torque tuned is way to much power for certain chassis stuff. Ill let you guys test it for a good year and see haha.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'll be satisfied with 400WTQ or just over and maybe 350WHP. (I'm not that crazy.) I think that will produce high 12's if my big heavy wheels and fat/tall tires don't hurt me. That's fast enough for me. I'm not gonna chase numbers anymore. Whatever I can do with the v6 when it comes out, or subsequent tunes when they come out will be okay.
12's are def the magic number for me with this car, one day.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The transmission, though not super beastly does sit behind some larger SUVs with moderate tow ratings. I don't expect it will be the weak link in vehicles that are otherwise stock with a tune. It's the people who add bigger turbos, nitrous etc who will find the limits of the chassis and drive train.

I tuned mine at 700miles and haven't had any issues, though I run the 91 tune due to fuel availability.

K

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
I'll be satisfied with 400WTQ or just over and maybe 350WHP. (I'm not that crazy.) I think that will produce high 12's if my big heavy wheels and fat/tall tires don't hurt me. That's fast enough for me. I'm not gonna chase numbers anymore. Whatever I can do with the v6 when it comes out, or subsequent tunes when they come out will be okay.
Can't be too thin, rich or fast--or some saying like that. Cockerdogs:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts