Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching all over google and couldn't seem to get a direct answer. I'm looking to add a single sub to my FFS. I found a good signal wire and got the power to the trunk. The last thing I need to do it get the LOC hooked up. My LOC is 2 channel with 6 wires coming out of it (2 ground, L +/- and R +/-) do I have to tab both the rear left and right speakers to the LOC? Or would tapping just one speaker be fine? If I tap just one should I combine the L+ with the R+ and the L- with the R-? Also when I looked I found that I have 3 speakers in the trunk (I have the Sony system), the Left and Right seem to be a bit larger than the center one. Would it matter what speaker I tapped into?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I tried searching all over google and couldn't seem to get a direct answer. I'm looking to add a single sub to my FFS. I found a good signal wire and got the power to the trunk. The last thing I need to do it get the LOC hooked up. My LOC is 2 channel with 6 wires coming out of it (2 ground, L +/- and R +/-) do I have to tab both the rear left and right speakers to the LOC? Or would tapping just one speaker be fine? If I tap just one should I combine the L+ with the R+ and the L- with the R-? Also when I looked I found that I have 3 speakers in the trunk (I have the Sony system), the Left and Right seem to be a bit larger than the center one. Would it matter what speaker I tapped into?
That center one in the back mirrors the center in the front dash, minus voice prompts.....it has no low's coming from it so i doubt that you would want that feeding a sub.....
And connecting to just one rear speaker, left for example, will give you input from just the left channel....it kind of sucks if you're listening to something that is surround sound with your base more biased to the right.....you would notice.....i would at least....tried that with an old surround sound system once.......
It will work if you just want it to.
Sorry....don't have an exact answer to solve your problem, but i DO know that i would cross the left and right channels together, for that will just eliminate your left and right sound by combining them together.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you want good sound, you'll have to tap both rear speakers

·
Registered
868 Posts
Maybe that is my problem... I have this LOC: https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/AX-ADCT2?category=AX-ADDAMP

I just hooked up the left side, since it was convenient. I had to crank the "level" on the LOC all the way up to hear anything out of the sub. Maybe if I get the right signal tapped as well I would get a little more sound? Or a little more even sound? Or better sound? I have sensitive ears, so I can't stand "cheap" sounding bass.

Amp is a BOSS AR1500M - 563w rms @ 4ohm monoblock
Sub is a Kicker Solo-baric S8L7 - 450w rms handling

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe that is my problem... I have this LOC: https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/AX-ADCT2?category=AX-ADDAMP

I just hooked up the left side, since it was convenient. I had to crank the "level" on the LOC all the way up to hear anything out of the sub. Maybe if I get the right signal tapped as well I would get a little more sound? Or a little more even sound? Or better sound? I have sensitive ears, so I can't stand "cheap" sounding bass.

Amp is a BOSS AR1500M - 563w rms @ 4ohm monoblock
Sub is a Kicker Solo-baric S8L7 - 450w rms handling
Just for the heck of it, if you are still having troubles with it... I read in your other post that you ran a signal wire back to the truck from the fuse block, maybe try connecting that to the yellow wire on you LOC and then the blue wire from the LOC to your amp. I'm kinda a noob when it comes to car audio, but I didn't see in the (very small) install manual for your LOC that the yellow and blue wires could be ignored. Maybe the LOC needs a little juice to create the line level signal. Also it states in the install manual:

NOTE: Be sure that all audio input connections are polarized or in phase with each other. That is, the positive output wires from the audio source need to be connected to the corresponding positive input wires of the AX-ADCT2. The same goes for the negative audio wires. Failure to do this will result in poor bass response and low quality audio.
Did you make sure you got the polarity right on the rear speakers? I ended up getting a 9-volt battery and some gator clips out to figure out my polarity (you can YouTube it to see how its done). Looking at the pictures I took when installing it, and if you have the Sony system, it seems that:

Rear Left
+ = Green/purple (at least it looks purple in my pic)
- = Gray
Rear Right
+ = Purple
- = Yellow

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Just for the heck of it, if you are still having troubles with it... I read in your other post that you ran a signal wire back to the truck from the fuse block, maybe try connecting that to the yellow wire on you LOC and then the blue wire from the LOC to your amp. I'm kinda a noob when it comes to car audio, but I didn't see in the (very small) install manual for your LOC that the yellow and blue wires could be ignored. Maybe the LOC needs a little juice to create the line level signal. Also it states in the install manual:

NOTE: Be sure that all audio input connections are polarized or in phase with each other. That is, the positive output wires from the audio source need to be connected to the corresponding positive input wires of the AX-ADCT2. The same goes for the negative audio wires. Failure to do this will result in poor bass response and low quality audio.
Did you make sure you got the polarity right on the rear speakers? I ended up getting a 9-volt battery and some gator clips out to figure out my polarity (you can YouTube it to see how its done). Looking at the pictures I took when installing it, and if you have the Sony system, it seems that:

Rear Left
+ = Green/purple (at least it looks purple in my pic)
- = Gray
Rear Right
+ = Purple
- = Yellow

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the ideas. I did run 12v power to the LOC straight from the amp and remote as well just in case, so I know the LOC does have juice.

I will have to double check the polarity this weekend. I will try the 9V trick to confirm I have it correct.

After reading more on 2gf, I think it may have more to do with our headunit's bass drop off at high volumes. Didn't know it but it cuts base output at high volume to protect the speakers... now knowing that, I can totally see why I think it sounds great at a 10-15 level but then the highs totally take over at above 15... all fun, love solving riddles...lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I did run 12v power to the LOC straight from the amp and remote as well just in case, so I know the LOC does have juice.

I will have to double check the polarity this weekend. I will try the 9V trick to confirm I have it correct.

After reading more on 2gf, I think it may have more to do with our headunit's bass drop off at high volumes. Didn't know it but it cuts base output at high volume to protect the speakers... now knowing that, I can totally see why I think it sounds great at a 10-15 level but then the highs totally take over at above 15... all fun, love solving riddles...lol
Over 15?!? You are crazy! hahaha. I usually keep mine around 8 when the dog is in the car and I get up to about 10-12 when its just me in the car... But Ive only really had the car when it was too cold to ride with all the windows/moon roof opened.

·
Registered
868 Posts
LOL, if it is any consolation, I have the high and mid-range on the factory EQ set below the halfway mark and the bass up around 3/4 level.

I like it loud!

·
Registered
868 Posts
So, I did the 9V battery polarity check and did have the left rear hooked up correctly! Woohoo. I then hooked up the right rear as well. Turned up the levels on the LOC all the way and we are in business. If it helps in the future, the wire closest to the "clip release" on the speakers is the positive wire. All should be the same since the speakers are all the same. I'm happy with it now. Got it all tidied up and ready for some road trips now!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Video on How to install a line output converter on a 2013-2017 Ford Fusion

I just made a video on how to hook up a line out converter on a 2016 Ford Fusion behind the factory stereo. I looked high and low and couldn't find a decent video on how to do this so I made one. Its pretty comprehensive and covers how to run the amp wiring too. The only thing is that the remote wire on the factory stereo didn't work for me so I hooked up to an alternative source. Here's my video

1 - 10 of 10 Posts