Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
It was not a fun experience. Turned left onto 55mph road. Easy acceleration and then it shifted into 2nd and I gave it moderate throttle . The car went limp mode. Had no acceleration power. I had safe distance between me and the cars behind me and was able to get it to the side of the road. Turned the car off and restarted absolutely no issues. I drove it around trying to replicate it and could not. Overboost?

I'm going to check for codes when I get home.

Car is bone stock. 1400 miles. 8/16 build date.

Coming from a drive it off the lot never had an issue 2012 sport to this makes me think I should have skipped the first model year jitters.

Reactions: V8FlatHead

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had it once with the SHO. At the track. I hit second and it pooped. Very embarrassing. Never happened again.
Drove it around the rest of the day today and no issues. Scanner is in my cobra so I'll get to seeing if it left a code behind.

Hopefully like you said one of those isolated things.

Reactions: 1153

·
Registered
87 Posts
This has happened to me 2x both in similar situations.

Instance 1: about 800 miles on car, had to accelerate normally then slow down then was waved on by a bus on a tight street and had to accelerate quickly...hit the gas and the car just sputtered until I could limo into a gas station.

Instance 2: about 3000 miles on car, pulled to a toll plaza that broke and the MTA worker told me to back up which I did. Then he changed his mind, yelled for me, and waved me forward. I went from drive to a stop, to reverse and back to drive quickly. As I went through the toll (middle lane), I tried to accelerate and it was in limp mode. I limped to side of bridge almost getting killed by several trucks and SUVs. I called ford and they told me to drop it off but they have no loaners.

I was lucky in both instances (bus was patient, and I was just lucky on the bridge).

Ford seemed surprised and really could care less. Plan to drop the car next week.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Disappointing

This has happened to me 2x both in similar situations.

Instance 1: about 800 miles on car, had to accelerate normally then slow down then was waved on by a bus on a tight street and had to accelerate quickly...hit the gas and the car just sputtered until I could limo into a gas station.

Instance 2: about 3000 miles on car, pulled to a toll plaza that broke and the MTA worker told me to back up which I did. Then he changed his mind, yelled for me, and waved me forward. I went from drive to a stop, to reverse and back to drive quickly. As I went through the toll (middle lane), I tried to accelerate and it was in limp mode. I limped to side of bridge almost getting killed by several trucks and SUVs. I called ford and they told me to drop it off but they have no loaners.

I was lucky in both instances (bus was patient, and I was just lucky on the bridge).

Ford seemed surprised and really could care less. Plan to drop the car next week.

This is definitely disappointing. I suppose if you go to the forum of any vehicle, you'll find similar issues, but the battery issue, and now this limp mode issue, which seems to be happening for no good reason is making me wait it out before I purchase this car.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As a follow up I checked it for codes. Nothing there.

Reactions: 1153

·
Registered
296 Posts
Like Gzsport said. Throttle body. Cars run off electrical throttle did away with cables to throttle body some time ago. If I power what so ever either that or car stalled or lost spark. Really doubt that though.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I don't see how it could be the TB causing limp mode. My mustang had gone into limp mode, loss of power with flashing check engine light and within a few seconds it was back to normal. Its related to P03xx code and the crank position sensor.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm going out on a limb and saying that the limp mode cars were running 87 octane.

Reactions: GorgonFusionSport17

·
Registered
87 Posts
Made appointment with Ford (15 minutes from my house)... take car in to get computer codes read. They tell me I have to leave the car for the day. I have a child with me and no loaner car. I tell them car is unsafe. They say too bad.
Good luck.

Great experience. 1st and last ford purchase, thank god it's a lease.

·
Super Moderator
1,605 Posts
1st and last ford purchase, thank god it's a lease.
Try a different dealer, if possible for you. Remember dealers are not controlled by Ford, and most times they don't even know about these types of issues unless you let them know or do a review.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Any number of things can cause a vehicle to go into limp mode. Usually it is related to a misfire or some type of correlation issue between the throttle position sensors and accelerator pedal position sensor. There is no way of knowing exactly what is causing it without being able to duplicate it while having a scantool attached/reading data.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The dealer also said I may need to go in and take them around in the car and try to reproduce the limp mode in order to diagnose.

What a nightmare.

I would steer clear of this car until this and the battery issue are resolved. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2017 Fusion Sport stalled twice today while my wife was taking kids to school. The first time was on a hill as she lightly re-engaged the gas after drifting to a near stop behind a bus. The second time was on the way back home as she stopped at a Stop sign. Both times she put in Park and restarted fine. Called service dept and they did mention it could be the throttle (apparently a problem in many Fords). Car only has 300 miles. Taking in for service today and will update with results.
Pretty frickin scary. Not feeling confident at the moment.

·
Registered
447 Posts
wow this is crazy all these problems considering how few of these cars for has actually built..

I see big recalls coming soon:

Dead batteries
Damaged Axles
Random Stalling
Random Limp mode

That list is way to long...

I thank god i have no issues but feel really bad for those of you that do

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
wow this is crazy all these problems considering how few of these cars for has actually built..

I see big recalls coming soon:

Dead batteries
Damaged Axles
Random Stalling
Random Limp mode

That list is way to long...

I thank god i have no issues but feel really bad for those of you that do
I keep wanting to take the plunge, but Im holding out until some of the issues are resolved.

1 - 20 of 179 Posts