982 Posts
only the crank pulley

Reactions: Vidmo

·
Registered
2019 > 2018 > 2017 :)
208 Posts
Interesting quotes from that link @Engineer posted above:
"the equivalent mass of the flywheel is HUGE, especially in lower gears. It's not uncommon for the equivalent mass of a flywheel to be 10x its static mass."
"any reduction in rotational inertia amounts to more engine power that's available for accelerating the car"
"a pound on a tire is like two on the frame"

·
Registered
756 Posts
If you've ever done any wrist exercises using a broom stick rope and light weights, you can imagine the difference in weight a few pounds can make. My 14 GT has had all these mods lightweight wheels/driveshaft/pulleys/brake rotors they reduced my 60ft times by .4 which is huge.(2.2 to 1.8)
WOW!! That’s huge! This season I switched to 9.2 lbs. per corner lighter wheels & tires and shaved a full tenth off my 60 foot.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
WOW!! That’s huge! This season I switched to 9.2 lbs. per corner lighter wheels & tires and shaved a full tenth off my 60 foot.
What wheels to you switch to. That's next on my hit parade.

·
Registered
756 Posts
What wheels to you switch to. That's next on my hit parade.
Actually, I already owned a set of MODA MD20 18x8 (now discontinued) that I bought from Tire Rack when the car was new and used for winter wheels. I wore out the winter tires just before COVID and since COVID caused a job change that completely changed my driving routine, I decided to put them into race mode.
C9C51C7A-66C7-43B3-927A-C5843939ECC7.jpeg

·
Registered
2019 > 2018 > 2017 :)
208 Posts
It's getting harder and harder to find lightweight wheels that fit our cars, especially without having to use Hub Centric Rings.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
So it looks like CD3 performance will have them made by Unorthodox Racing

Reactions: Suder1111

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Can't wait, and am now actively looking for low cost lightweight wheels 18" I think. I just have to see a few FFS to see what 18"ers look like

·
Registered
756 Posts
Reactions: MY27FUSION
21 - 29 of 29 Posts