Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be going on a 1500 mile trip again and want to reduce rotational weight in many areas (brakes, wheels, drive shaft. I think I have looked at all FFS and F150 Forum sites and haven't seen any mention of lightweight pulleys for sale. Of course they don't all have the informed members that are on this Forum. Any help would be appreciated. :cool:

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am overwhelmed by the response, Thank you.

Reactions: MY27FUSION

·
Registered
756 Posts

Reactions: LeVeL

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I am overwhelmed by the response, Thank you.
My suspicion is that nobody else has seen these for sale either, which is why they haven't responded. I think it's an interesting idea, especially since it's rotating mass, but if people haven't seen them available I completely understand why they wouldn't respond. Hopefully someone knows of something and chimes in (preferably before your trip).

·
Super Moderator
1,303 Posts
Haven't seen them offered anywhere.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I sent a email to unorthodox racing about making the crank pulley i will let you know how it goes

Reactions: 22psi

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
did some digging stock Crank pulley is 5.95 pounds and every 2.7 vehicle I have checked has the same ford part # FT4Z6312A

Reactions: Vidmo

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
did some digging stock Crank pulley is 5.95 pounds and every 2.7 vehicle I have checked has the same ford part # FT4Z6312A
That means to me that an F150 crank pulley will work. I'll check the F150 forums to see if anyone on there knows of a L/W pulley kit

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
sounds like a plan

·
Registered
534 Posts
I will be going on a 1500 mile trip again and want to reduce rotational weight in many areas (brakes, wheels, drive shaft. I think I have looked at all FFS and F150 Forum sites and haven't seen any mention of lightweight pulleys for sale. Of course they don't all have the informed members that are on this Forum. Any help would be appreciated. :cool:
Yours in an interesting post. I am curious what benefits may occur as a result of reducing rotational weight? Some on the forum have done some weight reductions (removing spare tire, lighter wheels, etc). Once you get beyond a few of those biggies - is there a measurable impact from small reductions like pullies? Or are they other benefits like wear, or quieter, or something? Not challenging, just ignorant and curious.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Yours in an interesting post. I am curious what benefits may occur as a result of reducing rotational weight? Some on the forum have done some weight reductions (removing spare tire, lighter wheels, etc). Once you get beyond a few of those biggies - is there a measurable impact from small reductions like pullies? Or are they other benefits like wear, or quieter, or something? Not challenging, just ignorant and curious.
Hi @ColoradoGuy I don't remember offhand the exact ratio, but there's a multiplier on rotational vs static mass. I want to say it's around 3x or so, although that may vary depending on the specific use case. The thing is it ends up being a significant amount more than the static weight of the object would indicate, because you are removing inertia from a moving part. So it's a fairly sizeable gain, even with relatively modest masses.

It's a legitimate thing to look into. It's the reason folks focus so much on things like lighter wheels, because it's not just the weight of the old wheels minus the weight of the new ones, it's more like: savings=3(old_weight-new_weight). Or something close to that.

EDIT: It's actually much more complicated than that. I did find a handy calculator you can use, though, if you're curious. I don't have any connection to the calculator, it's just something I found online, but I thought it might be helpful: The Effects of Rotational Inertia on Automotive Acceleration

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hi @ColoradoGuy I don't remember offhand the exact ratio, but there's a multiplier on rotational vs static mass. I want to say it's around 3x or so, although that may vary depending on the specific use case. The thing is it ends up being a significant amount more than the static weight of the object would indicate, because you are removing inertia from a moving part. So it's a fairly sizeable gain, even with relatively modest masses.

It's a legitimate thing to look into. It's the reason folks focus so much on things like lighter wheels, because it's not just the weight of the old wheels minus the weight of the new ones, it's more like: savings=3(old_weight-new_weight). Or something close to that.

EDIT: It's actually much more complicated than that. I did find a handy calculator you can use, though, if you're curious. I don't have any connection to the calculator, it's just something I found online, but I thought it might be helpful: The Effects of Rotational Inertia on Automotive Acceleration
@Engineer… Whoa - that link has some complex math. But I get the general idea. Turns out I wasn’t paying attention in high school physics because it is all pretty surprising. Thanks for educating me. BTW all theoretical improvements where I live have to be reduced by 20% to account for our 6,000 foot altitude. The fastest way for me to get a 20% gain in horsepower is to drive to Nebraska. Or any other nearby sea-level place. When they run the 1/4 mile at Bandimere Speedway a few miles away, it is a nightmare to tune the high performance cars and they never get the times they do at lower altitudes. If the wind is blowing the right way I can hear the speedway from my front porch. 😊

Reactions: Shawnski

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
@Engineer… Whoa - that link has some complex math. But I get the general idea. Turns out I wasn’t paying attention in high school physics because it is all pretty surprising. Thanks for educating me. BTW all theoretical improvements where I live have to be reduced by 20% to account for our 6,000 foot altitude. The fastest way for me to get a 20% gain in horsepower is to drive to Nebraska. Or any other nearby sea-level place. When they run the 1/4 mile at Bandimere Speedway a few miles away, it is a nightmare to tune the high performance cars and they never get the times they do at lower altitudes. If the wind is blowing the right way I can hear the speedway from my front porch. 😊
I know what you mean about the sound, I used to live out near Charlotte Motor Speedway (which is actually in Concord, not Charlotte) and you could hear it a long way from there. I never minded. :)

In theory the altitude should only affect normally-aspirated cars, because forced induction will force enough airflow to overcome that, but I know it takes a huge toll on normally-aspirated cars for sure. I imagine at some level the cooling systems take a hit from thinner air, but I don't have a value to quantify that.

And don't worry, I didn't pay attention to a lot of things back in high school myself. Those years were ones I didn't enjoy much. Having a lot more fun now though! :cool:

Reactions: ColoradoGuy

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Update Unorthodox Racing is gonna make the crank pulley for the 3.5 and 2.7 motors , they will announce it next month on the Facebook page (y)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update Unorthodox Racing is gonna make the crank pulley for the 3.5 and 2.7 motors , they will announce it next month on the Facebook page (y)
I don't know how you gentlemen find this info, but thank thank you for your help. 😎

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Some retailer contracted them to make the pulley for non truck 2.7 applications ? Any thoughts on who it might be ?

·
Registered
756 Posts
I’m not in the market for this particular mod (as of now) but I sure hope it’s not like the body kits, replacement hoods, cold air intakes, big brake packages, 2.5” downpipes, RDU gears, or any of the other non-truck things that were going to come out on fb next month.

Reactions: MY27FUSION

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Some retailer contracted them to make the pulley for non truck 2.7 applications ? Any thoughts on who it might be ?
Yes I am so interested in light weight pulleys.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you've ever done any wrist exercises using a broom stick rope and light weights, you can imagine the difference in weight a few pounds can make. My 14 GT has had all these mods lightweight wheels/driveshaft/pulleys/brake rotors they reduced my 60ft times by .4 which is huge.(2.2 to 1.8)

·
Registered
2019 > 2018 > 2017 :)
208 Posts
So which ones will they be doing?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts