Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I bought my Fusion it didn't have a front plate bracket, which mind you I was very happy about!

That being said in MD you are required to have one :(

So first purchase was a plate bracket.. one preferably that would not need to be drilled into my nice untouched bumper! I had a nice one on my mustang so naturally I went back to that shop, STO N SHO quick release front license plate bracket

They didn't have one listed for our cars but I emailed anyway and was able to put in a customer order. The only issue... it interferes with the Pre-Collision Detection sensor... Personally I still think its worth it!

What do you think? There is no plate yet as I am still on temp tags awaiting my new plates.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You could. You would block more of the intercooler but for regular driving it wouldn't be an issue. I'll swap and see what happens.

Reactions: cockerdogs and 1153

·
Registered
186 Posts
Pre-collision detection is part of ACC and probably uses the same radar sensor. So if you obstruct it you will also lose ACC. If you don't have ACC, you don't have pre-collision detection anyway and there's no sensor to worry about.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pre-collision detection is part of ACC and probably uses the same radar sensor. So if you obstruct it you will also lose ACC. If you don't have ACC, you don't have pre-collision detection anyway and there's no sensor to worry about.
Sorry if I should know this already.... but what is ACC? I know I have Pre-Collision as it yells at me now that is blocked.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Sorry if I should know this already.... but what is ACC?
Adaptive Cruise Control also uses the front radar to maintain the gap to the car in front. Collision detection (it works, BTW) is actually part of the ACC option, I assume because it uses the same sensors. Pedestrian detection also uses the front camera (as does the somewhat "sketchy" (IMO) lane-keeping part of the Driver Assist option).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting. Good to know. I still need to swap the bracket but will try it and see what happens.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I finally got around to swapping the plate to the other side. I no longer have issues with the Pre-Collision. So if you get this plate make sure to install it to the passenger side if you have Pre-Collision!

All in all, I am very happy with this bracket!

Reactions: 1153

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So it was a god awful long time to get my plates but I finally have them. Just wanted to post up a pic so people would know what it looks like with a plate installed. Covers the intercooler some but its removable so if issues arise I'll remove and then see what I can do later. Ran with just the bracket for a while with no issues and the plate doesn't really add too much more so should be good.

Attachments

Reactions: 1153

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ran my Mustang without it a few times and kept getting tickets, got about 5 before putting the plate back on, not warnings. It just got to the point it cost me more to pay the fine than it would to get a bracket. So I got a bracket.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just hate how it looks. We spend a lot of money on cars and ones that look nice and at some point, there may be an additional cost to have the look you want. Think of all the things we all do. I haven't gotten tickets yet, but I know that a handful probably wouldn't change my mind and I'd just chalk it up to be like the other things we spend time and money on for a "look" we like. Just my opinion. Obviously if you start getting a $100 ticket per week, or even month, things might change!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea the cost was adding up. But if I want looks at meet or something like that I can remove the plate by pulling s pin so its really a win win.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Tried to remove my front bracket today and didn't realize they were riveted in place. We have to have a front plate here in CO, "but it's more of a guideline than a rule." haha. I might drill out the rivets and pop it off. I just don't like the fact that it blocks so much of the intercooler.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea, I was happy when my front bumper wasn't drilled. This was a good alternative to drilling the bumper. This will cover part of the intercooler though so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Got mine without the bumper predrilled. I keep a front plate bracket that i just slide in place when I park at the airport so I don't get a ticket.

Reactions: ike

·
Super Moderator
1,586 Posts
I made my own bracket this weekend. It's not perfectly neat, but it gets the job done. All of these "no-drill" plate brackets just drill into a part of the bumper that you don't see, and that's not acceptable to me. I made mine so there's a part that stays clamped to the inner-grille, and the part that sticks out and attaches to the plate can be removed easily. Here are more pictures of the actual bracket. I don't have ACC, so I put mine on the driver's side, but it can be done on the passenger's side as well.

Reactions: Wildcat Birdie
1 - 20 of 36 Posts