Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to keep what is becoming a long story as short as possible.
My dealer mounted the license plate bracket on the front of my car off center when they prepared it to put it in stock. This was before I looked at the car in person and I didn’t notice it when I finished the deal and took of the car off the lot. This all happened on a Sunday evening and I noticed the position of the bracket the next day so I took it off to see how it was mounted. One of the holes in the mount for the license plate was stripped and one of the holes in the front bumper cover where the bracket mounts was stripped as well. I called my salesman to bring this to his attention and request it be fixed. He told me to bring it in and service would take a look at it.

I took it in and the Quick Lane Service Manager told me he would see about getting it fixed. I told him I didn’t want any additional holes put in the front bumper cover. He said he wasn’t sure it was possible to fix it and not put more holes in the cover, but I let him take it and sat in the waiting room for a while. While I was waiting he came through to tell me somebody at the dealership had mounted the wrong license plate holder on the front of the car and he was going to take a correct one of another Fusion Sport they had on the lot. He finally took me out to the car and the license plate bracket was mounted correctly and centered now, but he told me he had to put two more holes in the front bumper cover to get it done. He said it didn’t matter since they are hidden by the bracket. I was not pleased, but took the car home and took the plate and bracket off to see what had been done. He had apparently tried to mount the wrong one in the center before he got the correct bracket because there are now six holes punched in my front bumper cover. I called and he tried to downplay everything because the holes are hidden and tried to say I stripped out the holes because I had taken their dealer license plate frame off to put on a tinted cover. I asked that the bumper cover be replaced and he said he couldn’t do that and I would have to call my salesman.

I called my salesman and he kept me hanging on for several days until I asked him to have his manager contact me. The sales manager contacted me and I explained the situation. He said he would check into it and get back with me. I called him back yesterday because I hadn’t heard from him and he said they could try patching it with fiberglass in the body shop. I said what about my original request for a new bumper cover and he said that he would have to talk to his manager about it. I’m assuming his manager is the general manager of the dealership and he was my next step up the ladder anyway.

I’m starting to lose my patience because it’s obvious that they are stalling me and hoping I just forget about it. I’m about to call Ford Customer Care as I am really regretting buying the car at this dealership. They are the largest in the area and I got the best purchase price and trade deal I could find anywhere close. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. I’ve had several friends and family members say they think the dealer owes me a new front bumper cover, but it appears they aren’t going to make it easy. I’m also concerned about getting into it with them and losing out on the lifetime powertrain warranty that was included in the deal for the car. They offer this with all new cars they sell and there are certain requirements, but it’s something I thought I could keep up pretty easily. I make sure the regular maintenance schedule is followed pretty closely and I keep all receipts and service documentation.

·
Registered
296 Posts
After it's fixed go to a different dealership. I had them put my plates on my FFS but after I got home my front plate was gone. Apparently fell off while driving. I had them replace to license plate bracket since they stripped the holes out on the original. Also had them give me a free oil change for the hassle

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you're being treated this way. I'd recommend staying in their face about this as it's completely unacceptable. They are basically saying that it's no big deal that they damaged your car since the damage is hidden. Bullsh*t. If that warranty is included in your deal, then your are also entitled to that no matter how the bumper issue is settled. If they even try to hold that over your head I'd get corporate on them and leave it at that.

Unfortunately there is a lot of this going around. I swear many service departments are trained to run out the clock and wear down customers on these issues. Be relentless, and don't worry about pissing them off. Remember they are not worried about pissing you off at all.

·
Registered
82 Posts
This is really awful. I can't figure out how so many awful Ford dealers stay open.

If you want a new bumper cover you could do what I "did." Find a massive raccoon and hit it at highway speeds. Boom! New bumper cover without a front license place bracket.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm about to install my front license plate - can anyone provide images of how theirs is installed? I'm not certain where it should be placed. Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just spoke with the sales manager and he is still pushing for a fiberglass patch in the body shop. I said not on my new, month old Fusion Sport. He said a new bumper cover would be more work to install and I said properly finishing the proposed fiberglass patch in the body shop would probably be more work and take more time. He said authorizing a replacement bumper cover was above his pay grade and his directors so he was going to have to speak with the general manager. The general manager is conveniently off for the next few days, but I will wait to hear back from him. I'm patiently going up through the chain of command not really expecting to get any satisfaction at this point.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Frizz2112, that's why I never take anything to be worked
on, on Monday's and Friday's.

Monday's everyone is coming back from the weekend
and not feeling ready to work yet.

Friday's everyone is eager to start the weekend and
some don't give a darn on how they complete a project.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Contact Ford corporate and the BBB and be relentless with the dealer. Dealers are mostly garbage and do not care about the customer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm in CA where the dealers are supposed to mount the front plate. When I was test driving it and looking at it, I found the front plate bracket sitting in the trunk. I told the salesman I wouldn't buy the car if they put it on and he told me they don't automatically mount them on Sport models, the Focus RS or Mustangs because most of those buyers don't want them on there.
Until you can get the dealer to work with you, there is a company that makes bumper plugs that are paint matched to put in the holes until you get it fixed. It will at least look better than driving around with holes in it.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I'm in CA where the dealers are supposed to mount the front plate.
Its the same in Wisconsin, but without me even asking, they didn't mount the front license plate. The salesman knew I was pretty crazy about my car, so he said, "I know a lot of people with sportier cars will get pissed if you mount the front plate, so we just didn't. Everything is in your car if you decide too though."

·
Registered
55 Posts
My dealer didn't put mine on either. When I went to pick it up, they asked me where I wanted it to go. I told them I would do it myself. Since living in Illinois and it being the law to have a front plate, I'm gonna play dumb and see how long I can go without putting it on. Lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm in CA where the dealers are supposed to mount the front plate. When I was test driving it and looking at it, I found the front plate bracket sitting in the trunk. I told the salesman I wouldn't buy the car if they put it on and he told me they don't automatically mount them on Sport models, the Focus RS or Mustangs because most of those buyers don't want them on there.
Until you can get the dealer to work with you, there is a company that makes bumper plugs that are paint matched to put in the holes until you get it fixed. It will at least look better than driving around with holes in it.
bumperplugs.com

worked great for me.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My dealer didn't put mine on either. When I went to pick it up, they asked me where I wanted it to go. I told them I would do it myself. Since living in Illinois and it being the law to have a front plate, I'm gonna play dumb and see how long I can go without putting it on. Lol
I'm in the same state with the same conundrum. When you do mount it, what are you going to do?

·
Registered
451 Posts
In NY you would get a ticket for that. Strict here.

Even the placement they give you crap for. They want it in the center.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If I get pulled over, which I'm sure I will since I drive 90 miles one way to work, I'll tell the fuzz the dealership didn't put it on. Since my dealer had to go get my car from another state, it didn't come with a front plate holder. They had to order one.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bumperplugs.com

worked great for me.

I might consider these if they had only put two holes in the front bumper cover. They put six holes of vary heights and locations in the bumper cover so I have asked that they replace it. They are trying to argue that the holes are covered by the license plate bracket so they don't matter. It looks like it is going to be a fight, but I'm in it to get my car fixed correctly.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I might consider these if they had only put two holes in the front bumper cover. They put six holes of vary heights and locations in the bumper cover so I have asked that they replace it. They are trying to argue that the holes are covered by the license plate bracket so they don't matter. It looks like it is going to be a fight, but I'm in it to get my car fixed correctly.
That is such a crap excuse. Those holes could easily devalue your vehicle. Think of how people would react if you tried to sell this car in a few years and they discovered six holes in the bumper. A lot of people would walk away, or immediately lower their offer on the car based on this. Sure, they probably won't see them, but you should not have to risk it. That dealer sucks; stay on them!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I spoke with the sales manager again tonight. He said he discussed it with the general manager and they are still offering a fiberglass patch done in their body shop as a solution. He then brought up the fact that the Quick Lane service manager said it was my fault because I put the tinted cover on the front. I told him that is a load of BS and if he can't see that I need to call Ford. I called Ford Customer Care and they said they can file a complaint, but can't do anything else because it isn't a warranty issue. It sounds like I have my work cut out for me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sounds like the basic POOR Costumer Service to me.
the BBB may be a good way to go, especially if the dealer is a local BBB member. If they are, I think they are required to make an effort to settle.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts