Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'll try to get photos up but I found a simple ish way to remove the puddle lights. Get ahold of a small standard/flat head screw driver and a drill gun with bit large enough to fit you screw driver through the hole. When you look at the light, you have the spring clip on one end and a black plastic piece nearest your car. Take your drill and carefully drill into the lens on the black plastic end. Once you've drilled through the lens, insert your screw driver in the hole and apply downward force causing the lens to separate from the housing.

You may need to remove the side mirror glass if you push the housing up. This is easy to do just be careful. Adjust the mirror down and look inside and you'll see two small clips, using your screw driver, pull up on the clips. Then gentry pull the mirror from the mount and your in. There are a few electronic connectors you'll have to unplug but that's the easy part. Now you can reach in and get that **** puddle light out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Of all the mods I have ever done, honestly those **** puddle lights where the biggest PITA I have experienced. I ended up taking the mirror out to get them out as I was afraid I would break the housing unit itself.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Got my reverse and license plate lights changed out. I am going to have to buy a new drivers side LP light holder, I cracked/broke it taking it out(it was seriously stuck up in there). The passenger side was a PITA cause of the short harness

Luckily it's only a $10-$14 part

·
Registered
320 Posts
The holders are also all over Ebay. I broke a tab on one of them when I changed my bulbs out in January.

Reactions: El Beaner

·
Registered
391 Posts
I did these for reverse and they are much crisper:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LX4FMD1?tag=vs-auto-convert-amazon-20

If I just want the license plate lights anyone know what lights from LUYED are the right ones? Thanks!
I got the same LED backup lights and put them in. Much brighter, a nice improvement for $15. A bit tight access but not too bad. Only problem was being dyslexic and struggling with the difference between clockwise and counter-clockwise on the reinstall. Turns out it makes a difference if you are looking from the top down, or from the bottom up. Duh.

Reactions: mike d

·
Registered
563 Posts
Received and installed the Diode 194 HP3 lights, much better at night with the backup camera.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I ordered the Trax 3 lights for puddle lighting. The drivers side works fine but I can't get the passenger side to work. I tried putting the stock one back in and it still doesn't work. Anyone know what fuse it is so I can check and make sure I didn't blow it before having to go to dealer?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Man this car can be weird at times.

I went back out to see if maybe the light I got from Trax 3 was the issue and swapping it to the drivers side. Then all of a sudden, the puddle light started working again. Got the passenger side in and both sides worked perfectly. Now until nighttime so I can see them in action

·
Registered
37 Posts
I replaced my puddle and reverse lights today. I used this thread as my primary source of information so I'm adding my $0.02 here. All pics taken with a DSLR on a tripod using identical settings for each pair.

1) Puddle Lights

I bought "MOFORKIT Side Mirror Puddle Lamp LED Light Assembly Compatible with Ford F150 Edge Explorer White" lights from Amazon for $16.58

The stock lights are a huge pain to remove! Undoing the clip on one side is pretty easy but beyond that the lights wouldn't come out. I ended up drilling out the black tab opposite of the clip, as someone suggested upthread. One tip I'll add here: put painter's tape on your mirror so you don't scratch the paint!

2) Reverse Lights

I bought "LUYED 2 X 1550 Lumens Extremely Bright Error Free 360-Degree Shine 921 912 W16W 3030 24-EX Chipsets LED Bulbs Used For Backup Reverse Lights, Xenon White" lights from Amazon for $13.96

Very straight-forward install using the steps in the OP.

So far quite happy with the results for both. Now to try them at night...

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
@Fusion2881 Did they switch to LED in puddle lights and in the trunk on the 19-20 model Fusions? If they did that's super weird considering how they stripped so many other little things. Those, plus the 2 you mentioned are the only that aren't LED on my '17 (from factory).

·
Registered
46 Posts
I can confirm that the 2019's have LED puddle lights and LED interior lights EXCEPT for the truck which is incandescent. The license plates lights are also incandescent.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Thanks for confirming! I am definitely going to look into swapping the newer puddle lights into my '17 then. I swapped my reverse, rear plate, and trunk bulbs to Sylvania LED as soon as I got the car, so after the puddle lamps I'll be completely LED!

·
Registered
37 Posts
My fear with changing out the license plate lights is that a lot of them end up being unnecessarily bright. I see a lot of cars with aftermarket lights like that and they are very noticeable at night - I prefer to fly under the radar.

Trunk lights are a good idea, maybe I'll do that next.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Thanks for confirming! I am definitely going to look into swapping the newer puddle lights into my '17 then. I swapped my reverse, rear plate, and trunk bulbs to Sylvania LED as soon as I got the car, so after the puddle lamps I'll be completely LED!
Let us know how that goes. On the Ford Edge ST Facebook groups, they are buying a new $60 "ST" puddle light that projects a red "ST" onto the ground. But when they pulled their stock LED puddle lights, you can clearly see they are slimmer and possibly wider diameter than the incandescents we have. The "ST" lights look like they'd be a direct fit for our application. Again I haven't been able to get a confirmation on if 19-up LED puddle lights will be a direct fit, I guess you'll be the pioneer!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
My fear with changing out the license plate lights is that a lot of them end up being unnecessarily bright. I see a lot of cars with aftermarket lights like that and they are very noticeable at night - I prefer to fly under the radar.

Trunk lights are a good idea, maybe I'll do that next.
Like my mom always said, why make the license plate so visible? I'm running the Sylvania 914 LEDs for my plate lamps. They aren't super bright and I got the Sylvanias because they are supposed to be of a higher quality than typical Amazon/eBay LED marker lights. Those plate lamp holders are very brittle and finicky.

Reactions: LeVeL

·
Registered
252 Posts
Like my mom always said, why make the license plate so visible? I'm running the Sylvania 914 LEDs for my plate lamps. They aren't super bright and I got the Sylvanias because they are supposed to be of a higher quality than typical Amazon/eBay LED marker lights. Those plate lamp holders are very brittle and finicky.
I'm not touching my plate lights for two reasons. One my first Fusion I had, had one that never worked from the factory, don't want to mess with the tiny things, two it doesn't benefit me in any way to have it brighter.

To answer previous question, no the trunk is still incandescent on '19s, forgot about that one.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts