Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I couldn't stand the yellow glow of the puddle, license plate, and reverse lights, so I got some LED lights.

Reverse lights, install was no big deal:
  1. Open Trunk
  2. Pop out the plastic retainer clips that hold the carpet (should be 2 on each side near the light housing)
  3. Remove the old light plug (twisting to unlock, then pull out)
  4. Remove the old bulb
  5. Insert new 921 LED of your choice (so many options)
  6. Return light socket to housing, locking in place
  7. Return carpet to original position
  8. Return retainer clips

License plate lights:
  1. Using a flat head screwdriver, depress the clip towards the driver side
  2. Gently apply downward pressure to remove the light housing
  3. Turn the whole light housing to unlock the socket
  4. Remove old bulb
  5. Insert new LED buld
  6. Return light socket and lock into housing
  7. Return housing to original location, making sure to clip it in place

Puddle Lights:
These little buggers were a PITA! I actually ended up destroying the factory ones due to my short temper and lack of patience. I followed the following instructions:

I got it to pop out initially, but just couldn't get it to "release" from the mirror. I ended up using some channel locks to twist and eventually destroy the entire factory light housing.

I replaced with Daytime Bright puddle lights, as it was a complete solution. They fit really well, even have the factory dimming effect. They are super bright and provide awesome visibility when approaching the vehicle at night.

Pictures to come, but as usual, the camera tends to drown out the actual performance of the lights.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The reverse and license plate LEDs I'm a fan of, but for whatever reason I think the puddle LEDs remind me of a fluorescent light and not warm or inviting at all... The puddle lights from the factory have that warm hue, like a light at your front door at home - familiar and happy. The LED light just seems harsh in comparison.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can definitely see where the warm light of the puddles is more inviting.

Personally, I just wanted matching light output all the way around. It's a visual thing for me. The reverse lights however, that's a safety change for me as I have tinted rear windows. I also like having a ton of light output behind me as I live in a neighborhood with a lot of kids and dogs.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Really interested in doing the reverse lights. The others are kinda whatever to me. Is there a bulb that you guys would recommend? I've never done light swaps or anything like this before so I'm pretty much a total noob. I've heard of Diode Dynamics before...any thoughts on them?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really interested in doing the reverse lights. The others are kinda whatever to me. Is there a bulb that you guys would recommend? I've never done light swaps or anything like this before so I'm pretty much a total noob. I've heard of Diode Dynamics before...any thoughts on them?
I used these lights in both my FuSpo and Sierra

They fit great and provide some great light... seem to provide good light spread as well.

·
Registered
331 Posts
DiodeDynamics is actually a local company to me... Ironically, back about 10 years ago before he started the company I had an argument with him about aftermarket HIDs on the NewTiburon.com forums, and I worked with a guy that the owner (Paul J McCain) was friends with / hired to come work for him. At one point I was asked to come meet him and maybe see about a job with them, but ended up going a different direction instead. More recently, I worked with another guy that's personal friends with him and was there when they opened the shop... Small world after all.

History lesson aside, they do make good products, and I wouldn't have any issues ordering from them. Personally, I've most always gone through TheRetrofitSource, though that's just because of their customer support history with me.

elronino, what size bulbs are the factory ones? The Amazon link you gave has a whole list that it fits.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Thanks for the link ike.

I think everyone needs to start giving links directly to what people order.
I guess I could add that the reason I got the JDM ASTAR ones is that I had experience with some of theirs that I used as rear turns for my A4 and they were actually bright enough to see in daylight and REALLY bright at night. But those were 1156's so all are going to be different. I'm just kind of crossing my fingers there.

·
Registered
106 Posts
@OP
Would you be able to provide the part numbers for your LED's? They look really nice and would like to attempt the same. If you don't mind ;)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LED Puddle, Reverse, License Plate lights

I've had a few requests for part numbers. Here are the ones that I used:

LED Puddle Lights - These come as a plug and play unit - TRAX-3-FL
LED License Plate - These actually came with the puddle lights as a package... so not sure on model number.
LED Reverse Lights - Rayhoo T15-15LED

Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
any place you guys recommend to buy from?

1 - 20 of 101 Posts