Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those who optioned Lane keep assist on their fusion sports can I ask for reviews of how well it works and what its limitations are? Having a hard time finding any real world explains the liberty of Linkee persist with her you can actually take your hands off the wheel or it's such a minor nodule go into another lane if your hands are not on the wheel. And if you can take your hands off how long can you take your hands off for it requires your attention. Thanks guys

·
Registered
320 Posts
If you have your hands off the wheel for more then around 10 seconds it bitches at you.

I find the feature near worthless, though it may prove useful if one were prone to driving whilst extremely tired and they fell asleep. The car does steer back into the lane reasonably well, and seems to tolerate poor or partially snow covered lines. In no way is this feature an auto pilot.

I keep mine turned off all the time. Now the adaptive cruise is an awesome feature and so worth the cost of the package.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have your hands off the wheel for more then around 10 seconds it bitches at you.

I find the feature near worthless, though it may prove useful if one were prone to driving whilst extremely tired and they fell asleep. The car does steer back into the lane reasonably well, and seems to tolerate poor or partially snow covered lines. In no way is this feature an auto pilot.

I keep mine turned off all the time. Now the adaptive cruise is an awesome feature and so worth the cost of the package.
I was under the impression that the adaptive cruise control will cancel itself out if the car comes to a stop for more than three seconds in stop and go traffic I feel like that would be a terrible annoyance because most stop and go traffic that I've been involved with a New York or down in Virginia Beach I would have to keep resetting it constantly if it does have this feature can you or anyone else verify that the stop and go cruise control has to be reset if the car comes to a stop in traffic for more than three seconds?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

What do you mean by a bitches that you what does it do is there a beep or a flash and will cancel itself?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Useless. The adaptive cruise control with start stop however is worth every penny when sitting in Chicago stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It will allow for you to sit in traffic. Once come to a stop for more than three seconds, it stays put. You can either, bump the gas pedal or press resume on the steering wheel when you are ready to start moving again. If you stay in the same spot for more than 4 or 5 minutes, it activates the parking brake and let's go of the regular brakes until you are ready to move.

I was under the impression that the adaptive cruise control will cancel itself out if the car comes to a stop for more than three seconds in stop and go traffic I feel like that would be a terrible annoyance because most stop and go traffic that I've been involved with a New York or down in Virginia Beach I would have to keep resetting it constantly if it does have this feature can you or anyone else verify that stop and go cruise control has to be reset if the car comes to a stop in traffic for more than three seconds?

·
Registered
100 Posts
The Lane Keeping Assist works as advertised.....it ASSIST!! It allows you to not be as precise when driving. As long as you are half ass attempting to stay in a lane, the car will keep you from driving across lanes for the most part. Once, I was on a road that was slightly curving to the right and decided to let go and see what happens. The car noticed i was about to veer into the next lane and it tightened the turn to get me back into my lane, then adjusted the steering back so that i can continue down the curve for a few seconds, before the alert starting going off, "Keep hands on Steering Wheel" That's the 'bitching' the other guy was talking about. And if that alert keeps popping up, the car will eventually show a chart with a coffee cup highlighted, stating that you may be tired and need to get some rest. That alert can be turned off, though.

To those who optioned Lane keep assist on their fusion sports can I ask for reviews of how well it works and what its limitations are? Having a hard time finding any real world explains the liberty of Linkee persist with her you can actually take your hands off the wheel or it's such a minor nodule go into another lane if your hands are not on the wheel. And if you can take your hands off how long can you take your hands off for it requires your attention. Thanks guys

·
Registered
206 Posts
I don't think it's worth it.

While the theory is great, the implementation isn't that good. It'll randomly suggest a break when I've been doing well at staying in my lane or turn to miss a pothole while remaining in my lane.

Other times it'll lose the lane markings - actually, that happens rather frequently.

It's way too inconsistent for me to trust it at all.

·
Super Moderator
1,312 Posts
Well I do a lot of driving for my job and I find it helpful on long trips. In town and daily driving not so much. I just have mine set to alert not assist. So every time you get near the center line or shoulder line it vibrates the wheel. If you are driving and change lanes with our using the turn signal is vibrates the wheel. If you use the turn signal it ignores the crossing of the line. It's a good feature to remind/teach a driver to their turn signal. In a conversation with a buddies wife she asked will assist keep you driving in your lane on the highway? On a drive back from Houston I enabled the feature and set it to assist. Once I was in a clear section if I-10 no traffic I released the wheel and allowed the car to "assist". It corrected a slight drift to the right which eventually resulted in a drift to the left which it assisted again and as it was starting to assist again for right drift it informed me to keep my hands on the wheel.

With the assist come the driver alert monitoring. Not sure what qualifies you form this notice from the car but twice now I car has recommended rest and a cup of coffee. Sorry for the blurry pic was on a Louisiana back road bouncing along trying to grab pic and keep car out of ditch.

So is it worth it? If you had to pay for it as a single option probably not but since it is included in the driver assist package, which is part of the sport package, all the other included features make the package well worth the money IMHO.

The package includes
• Auto High Beams - Like this a lot but I do a lot of traveling.
• BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with cross-traffic alert - Really like this, I mean a LOT and so does the wife.
• Heated Steering Wheel - Take it or leave it
• Lane Keeping System - I use only on long trips
• Rain Sensing Wipers - I like it leave wipers on auto and it handles wiper on/off and speed adjustments per conditions
• SYNC® Connect* (Gas and Hybrid models only)
• 110V Power Outlet** (Gas models only) - Really come in handy

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,312 Posts
Just an FYI, while they talk about sensors yada yada I believe this feature is handled via the data of the camera above the rear view mirror. With that said it does not detect the actual road but looks for road markings aka center line, shoulder lines or stripping. If these markings are faded or missing the feature does not function. Also it is affected by weather conditions. I have personally seen this during a decent rain on a well marked I-55.

Reactions: ike

·
Super Moderator
1,312 Posts
Was able to get better images today during a 7 hr road trip. I must have really pissed her off because in addition to the "Rest Suggested" in yellow message a little while later I got a new "Rest NOW" in red! LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Was able to get better images today during a 7 hr road trip. I must have really pissed her off because in addition to the "Rest Suggested" in yellow message a little while later I got a new "Rest NOW" in red! LOL
Haha I got those while testing out the lane assist. I turned off driver alerts now though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
On that note, does any know how it tracks your eyes?
The other day I was not paying attention to the road (had a long day) & it beeped at me!

·
Registered
100 Posts
On that note, does any know how it tracks your eyes?
The other day I was not paying attention to the road (had a long day) & it beeped at me!
It doesn't track your eyes. It's just monitoring how you are maintaining the lane you are driving in. If you keep going from left to right in your lane, it assumes you must be getting tired........so it sucks for people whom are just bad drivers.....poor people get beeped all day! lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts