Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

21 - 40 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
I like a lot of what you are saying except this. 2 mph is not going to be a few tenths of a difference. Maybe a few hundredths, but not tenths. So the Kia's 0-60 time is probably like 5.18 instead of 5.2 or something like that.
I understand why you would think that but its not the case.

Here is some real world data for two cars run through both instrumented tests:

Mk 7 GTI
  • 0-60: 6.932
  • 0-62: 7.242
Mk 7 Golf R
  • 0-60: 4.641
  • 0-62: 4.852
This car looks AWESOME on the outside and what's under the hood sure sounds impressive, but I think the Fusion has a much better interior.
From what I read on other sites at lunchtime today it will probably be 50K+ when equipped with the big motor and AWD.
According to Kia's Head of Corporate Communications, James Bell, a full-loaded Stinger will top off at around $45,000.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have to admit, the Kia Stinger is intriguing. I think it's a really nice looking car, and I think they did a nice job on the interior. Not sure why Ford went with only the light earth gray color for the seats, I think they dropped the ball there.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Not sure I get that. Is a Ford supposed to be better than a Kia for some reason? Reliability wise, Kia is higher than Ford is right now. I own a Ford Mustang, but I don't look down on Kia because I drive a Ford product.

·
Registered
451 Posts
That's probably the same 3.3L Turbo that's in the Genesis G80

Hyundai will probably release their new Coupe around the same time, same 3.3 engine as well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not sure I get that. Is a Ford supposed to be better than a Kia for some reason? Reliability wise, Kia is higher than Ford is right now. I own a Ford Mustang, but I don't look down on Kia because I drive a Ford product.

This is from firsthand knowledge. Not consumer reports. Friend had a KIA multiple problems, one right after another. Dealer had no choice but to replace it with another vehicle, same model. Same issues on the second vehicle. They finally had to replace it with a third vehicle. I understand a lemon but three different vehicles until you get it right. When I think of a performance orientated reliable vehicle, KIA isn’t in the top 20.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Have you read this forum????

Cobra - OK, and have you read this forum? There's a lot more than ONE guy who had a problem with his car. My point is, I don't knock any carmaker. Kia's reliability has been high, because their build quality is better. I love my Stang, but I don't any Genesis Coupe owners because they drive a Hyundai. Ford owners aren't really in a position to stick up their noses at any auto manufacturer IMO.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I understand why you would think that but its not the case.

Here is some real world data for two cars run through both instrumented tests:

Mk 7 GTI
  • 0-60: 6.932
  • 0-62: 7.242
Mk 7 Golf R
  • 0-60: 4.641
  • 0-62: 4.852

According to Kia's Head of Corporate Communications, James Bell, a full-loaded Stinger will top off at around $45,000.
Wow, that was surprising. My question to this is: were those times taken from the same run? Or was it one run to 60 and another to 62? The only thing I can think of for this to happen is a gear shift at 61 mph (and probably a manual gear shift). I look forward to more info about those runs cause that is crazy.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
StingerForums.com - The Largest Kia Stinger Forum And Community!

Do I love my Ford Mustang...... Yes
Is it the best made car, **** no!
Interior is blah and the door panels are made with cheap cheesy plastic. Paint chips like a crayon melts in the heat plus I had to align both fenders along with raising the front bumper.
Even though its not an exotic car, I still appreciate and its faster than most cars on the road.
Ive not owned a Kia so I can't compare apples to apples, but the Stinger has a good looks, 365 awd HP, dynamic torque vectoring and brembo brakes. I think one would also appreciate that car if they owned one. Plus Kia gets a bad name because it's made in Korea.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Well said Vert

I think Kia and Hyundai will eventually approach Toyota build quality, if they're not already there.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Wow, that was surprising. My question to this is: were those times taken from the same run? Or was it one run to 60 and another to 62? The only thing I can think of for this to happen is a gear shift at 61 mph (and probably a manual gear shift). I look forward to more info about those runs cause that is crazy.
Both cars were run up to 100 mph (measuring 60, 62, etc.). Both cars (GTI and R) were equipped with Dual-Clutch (DSG) transmissions.

I believe the DSG with the diff. gearing used in the GTI and R maxes out at ~36 mph in 1st, ~57 mph in 2nd and ~80 in 3rd. So both cars where in 3rd gear when they reached both 60 and 62.

In my experience the 0-60 and 0-62 times vary about about 0.2 seconds (give or take).

On a side note, this same engine and transmission in the AWD 4830 lb G90 went 0-60 in 5.3 sec and ran the 1/4 mile in 14.0 @ 100 mph. Not too shabby for an ~5000 lb. (w/ driver) full size sedan. The Stinger should weigh a good bit less.

Finally, I would like to add that i really like the exterior design of both the FuSpo and the Stinger GT.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Both cars were run up to 100 mph (measuring 60, 62, etc.). Both cars (GTI and R) were equipped with Dual-Clutch (DSG) transmissions.

I believe the DSG with the diff. gearing used in the GTI and R maxes out at ~36 mph in 1st, ~57 mph in 2nd and ~80 in 3rd. So both cars where in 3rd gear when they reached both 60 and 62.

In my experience the 0-60 and 0-62 times vary about about 0.2 seconds (give or take).

On a side note, this same engine and transmission in the AWD 4830 lb G90 went 0-60 in 5.3 sec and ran the 1/4 mile in 14.0 @ 100 mph. Not too shabby for an ~5000 lb. (w/ driver) full size sedan. The Stinger should weigh a good bit less.

Finally, I would like to add that i really like the exterior design of both the FuSpo and the Stinger GT.
Wow. I never would have guessed that it took that long for 2 mph. I stand corrected.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Cobra - OK, and have you read this forum? There's a lot more than ONE guy who had a problem with his car. My point is, I don't knock any carmaker. Kia's reliability has been high, because their build quality is better. I love my Stang, but I don't any Genesis Coupe owners because they drive a Hyundai. Ford owners aren't really in a position to stick up their noses at any auto manufacturer IMO.
@Mike E

Not sure why you think I'm sticking my nose at KIA, all I said was there is more to a car then looks. I look at more (cost, reliability, modding, materials, testing etc..) when I look at a car. It's the package that sells it for me and not one item. You have an opinion they are reliable. Where did you get that from? the internet? have you owned one? Like I said a good friend has and helping with that was painful and was way more of an issue then we are seeing with our cars. The materials are simplistic and cheap and that is why they are considered the cheaper alternative because of this. This isn’t something I read this is my own observations. If this makes me bias against KIA it’s well earned.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Cobra says:

"KIAs are in the same league as Hyundai for a reason. Once you get past the good looks it’s still a KIA."

"
This is from firsthand knowledge. Not consumer reports. Friend had a KIA multiple problems, one right after another. Dealer had no choice but to replace it with another vehicle, same model. Same issues on the second vehicle. They finally had to replace it with a third vehicle. I understand a lemon but three different vehicles until you get it right. When I think of a performance orientated reliable vehicle, KIA isn’t in the top 20."

"Not sure why you think I'm sticking my nose at KIA, all I said was there is more to a car then looks."

Cobra, you actually said a lot more than that, and all you gave me for reliability was one first hand experience that a friend had. You do realize that there are hundreds of friends of people on this very forum that that could scare the pants off of anyone considering buying a 2017 Ford Fusion Sport, or even perhaps ANY Ford product with the negative experiences people who post on this forum have experienced. The line once you get past the good looks, it's still a Kia clinches. Once you get past the good looks of the Fusion, well, it's still a Ford. Doesn't sound good that way, eh?

Anyway, carry on. Not sure why you have the competitors thread here to be honest, and not sure why if you can't be objective about it, why you would choose to post on it. Just my thoughts.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I have never been one to be brand loyal with cars. I get what I like that does what I want and I can afford. 2000-2010 I had two Pontiac Grand Prix GT's, since 2011, I have had two Ford Fusion Sports. If they kept making the Grand Prix, I may have stuck with them. I would LOVE a last gen Toyota Supra or an R34 Skyline, I almost bought an Evo over the Fusion Sport, I am thinking about once the Sport is paid off either buying a used Corvette or GT-R. There are plenty of good vehicles out there, and being stuck to one brand limits me too much, so I will look at anything put in front of me.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I drive a 2010 Ford Mustang. My car previous to that, which my son now drives, is a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT. My family vehicle is a 2014 GMC Acadia Denali. I'm not loyal to any specific manufacturer either. Since it appears I'm not going to purchase a new car for this winter, I'm going to wait until the fall and see if Ford has taken care of the issues they have been having, and I'm going to take a good look at the Kia Stinger as well, and make up my mind from there. If there are any other cars in that vein, I will look at them as well.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Some additional info (via the interwebs) for comparison:

• The car will weigh in at ~4200 lbs. (right in line with the FuSpo).
  • The 19" "Performance Tire" option will likely be Michelin Pilot Super Sports in the US
  • The 365 hp / 376 lb-ft from the 3.3T is produced using regular (87 Octane) fuel

·
Registered
165 Posts
4200 lbs is pretty chunky. Just like the FS though. I'm going to do my due diligence on these cars, and if any other competitors spring up as well. I did consider the Golf R, but I don't love the boxy look.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
4200 lbs is pretty chunky. Just like the FS though. I'm going to do my due diligence on these cars, and if any other competitors spring up as well. I did consider the Golf R, but I don't love the boxy look.
Im with you, I plan to keep this and the FS on my radar until Im ready to pull the trigger.

21 - 40 of 256 Posts