Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAD a 13 titanium, totaled in the rear quarter in a Walmart parking lot.

Now in a 17 sport, I have 1 key fob for the 17.

I also have 1 remaining key fob from the 13.

Can I link the 13 fob to the 17 sport?

Registered
They change the frequency and way they operate sometimes, but I think you'd have a hard time finding any way to really confirm what you're asking without just trying it. Your best bet is probably to just go ahead and try to pair it up with the car and see what happens.

I think you've got, at least, a decent shot of it working though, because all the same buttons exist on the old remote, so it looks like all the functionality should be there as far as the remote buttons go.

If I were you I'd probably give it a shot and see what happens. If you do, please let us know! :cool:

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

Registered
I HAD a 13 titanium, totaled in the rear quarter in a Walmart parking lot.

Now in a 17 sport, I have 1 key fob for the 17.

I also have 1 remaining key fob from the 13.

Can I link the 13 fob to the 17 sport?
Hi FiveseveN. You may be able to program the old "2013" fob to your 2017 Fusion Sport fob.

However, you need two programmed fobs to program any more, and you only have one programmed fob. Therefore, since you only have one programmed fob for your 2017, you will need to have a Ford Dealer program the two you have. What happened to the second fob for your 2017 Fusion?

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 17 only came with the 1 fob....however the car does have 2 admin keys on the dashboard....the dealership did not have the 2nd key.

Thanks for the input guys, I'm going to reach out the the dealership and get their input also.

Registered
The 17 only came with the 1 fob....however the car does have 2 admin keys on the dashboard....the dealership did not have the 2nd key.

Thanks for the input guys, I'm going to reach out the the dealership and get their input also.
Hi FiveseveN. Yes, if you only have one fob for the 2017, you will need the Dealer to program the two fobs (2017 and 2013).

A recommendation: You should always have at least two working remote keyfobs. So...even if the remote fob from the 2013 is not compatible, it would be a good idea to purchase a new, compatible remote fob and have it programmed by the Dealer now. Otherwise, if you should ever lose the one remote fob you have (or it breaks/stops working), it will cost you to have your car towed to a Dealer for a new remote fob and programming, or to have a locksmith come out to program a new remote fob. Once you have two programmed remote fobs, you can program more.

Reactions: ColoradoGuy

Registered
My 17 only came with one fob, used. I don鈥檛 think your 13 will work because it isn鈥檛 a 鈥淪martKey.鈥 The 17鈥檚 and up enable two-way communication with the fob, enabling the status light on the key which tells you if the car started successfully or not when you remote start it. Ford did have smart keys on some of the cars, so it might be compatible. As others have said, you鈥檒l have to have the dealer do it as you only have one key. If you get that key fob programmed, you can add up to 4 by yourself, as long as you have 2.

I bought another smart key on eBay for $50 and had them program and laser-cut the metal key.

Good luck! At my dealer, the key programming was $50 and the laser cut was $15.

Registered
Just seeing the little light between the buttons... maybe the 13-16s are a smart key.

I think your most inexpensive method to find out if this works is to find someone with a 17鈥+ with two keys (doesn鈥檛 have to be a sport, or even a fusion, just the same key layout) and attempt to program it to their vehicle. The dealer will charge you even if it doesn鈥檛 work.

My dealer didn't even want to do it because I didn't purchase the new key from them. When he asked me where I got the replacement, he immediately started stalling and saying, "not just any ebay key will work; you're gonna want to get that from us.... at $250." I'm sure they'll look for every reason to tell you this won't work to steer you into buying a replacement from them.

Another reason I went with the eBay key and had it cut at the dealer is if your car's battery dies while it's locked, you'll need a laser-cut key to open the door to replace the battery. Keep it safe if you only have one.

Super Moderator
Pretty sure they are different, as the 2013 still had a key.
There were both switchblade and keyless versions for '13 - '16 models depending on trim level.

Registered
Hi FiveseveN. You may be able to program the old "2013" fob to your 2017 Fusion Sport fob.

However, you need two programmed fobs to program any more, and you only have one programmed fob. Therefore, since you only have one programmed fob for your 2017, you will need to have a Ford Dealer program the two you have. What happened to the second fob for your 2017 Fusion?

What the reason that Ford requires you to have two Fobs, before you can clone more?

Registered

That's interesting, my used 17 came with 2 fobs. But then again, I'm in Canada. Or the previous owner bought a second fob.

Registered
What the reason that Ford requires you to have two Fobs, before you can clone more?
Hi maydk. Among other reasons, theft deterrence.

One example: We hand our key to the valet parking attendant and walk away. A dishonest valet attendant programs a second IKT fob (or has a co-conspirator do the dirty work). Registration/Insurance card is in the glove compartment with address of owner. Thieves go to vehicle owners home later, or in a few days, and steal car with second IKT fob they programmed.
With two keys required, that particular circumstance can not happen.

Years ago, my wife's family had three cars stolen from a wedding when thieves supposedly "stole" the keys from the valet attendants booth. In that case, the valet company was ultimately responsible. After an insurance company fight.

However, in the case of illegally programmed fobs, there would be no connection to the valet company or anyone else, since the cars disappeared from the owners home days later. Cars would be gone with no evidence of how they were entered and stolen.

Is this anti-theft deterrent foolproof? No, nothing is. Are there other ways for thieves to clone keys and steal cars? Yes, of course. But every little bit helps.

Hope this explanation helps a little. Good luck.

Registered
That's interesting, my used 17 came with 2 fobs. But then again, I'm in Canada. Or the previous owner bought a second fob.
Hi Titan. All new Ford/Lincoln vehicles (and I assume every new vehicle) come with two fobs at time of sale. The OP purchased his car used and we have to assume the previous owner only turned over one fob when they sold it. Or the Dealer lost the second fob before the OP purchased the car. Or...who knows what happened etc.

In the case of your used Fusion, you were lucky and the previous owner turned in both fobs when he sold it. Or perhaps the Dealer programmed a second one as a courtesy before you purchased.

This is a perfect example of how used car buyers (and new car buyers), need to perform their due diligence. Any car being purchased should come with at least two fobs. If there is only one, the vehicle buyer should insist a second one be included as part of the purchase price.

But again, all new Ford and Lincoln vehicles are sold with two fobs.

Good luck.

Registered
2013 was 315 MHz, 2017 is 904 MHz. Maybe I'm off on the frequencies. Best to check though.

BTW great to see another 5.7x28 user here! I just hit the range the other day with some AE 40gr ammo. I didn't want to use up my stash of white box SS195LF. Haha.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts