Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I've been updating the various and sundry modules in my new-to-me 2017 Fusion Sport with FORScan 2.4.2, and have run into an issue when updating the IPMA where the car "times out" and shuts down, even when a 6 amp battery charger is connected.

I ended up having to start the car, which led to the IPMA update failing because the car was running. I ended up being able to update the various chunks of firmware in the IPMA one or two at a time to get everything working again, but I was wondering if there was a trick to keep the car active when performing these long firmware updates (30-40 minutes) ? I've tried turning on the hazard flashers, but the car still wants to power off after about 30 minutes. The battery is a brand new (maybe a month old) Duracell battery, matching the 590 amp-hours spec of the original Ford battery, and I made sure the battery type was set right in the BECMB with FORScan.

I've done some Googling and forum searching here and over at 2gFusions, but either my Google-Fu is weak, or there's not a way to keep the car active...

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Go into your left side of your IPC and shut off the auto engine stop. It's a per-start thing so if you shut down you'll have to do it again next time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That works even when the car isn't running? I received some sort of "powering off to save battery" message when it sat in accessory mode for around 30 minutes or so. Thanks!

·
Registered
309 Posts
That works even when the car isn't running? I received some sort of "powering off to save battery" message when it sat in accessory mode for around 30 minutes or so. Thanks!
You know, now that I think about it, I'm not sure. :cool: You'd have to put it in accessory mode and try it. You're still probably going to need the battery booster though because otherwise your voltage is likely to drop.

Other things: Turn off everything else. HVAC, fans, radio, all that jazz.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yea, I've been keeping the charger on 6 amp and hooked up, even with the new battery. There were plenty of warnings about that, heh. I also had turned off the HVAC, but it shut down even with those preparations in place. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't think there is such a setting. Try to contact the ForScan guys with a log and what they say. They usually respond well to private messages on their Forum and would update their software to fix any issues quickly. They helped me twice before and were very prompt.

Did you happen to update the BCM? I tried once with V2.4.0 and nearly bricked it. Had a dead car with NOTHING work in it. Fortunately the ForScan people sent me an updated beta 2.4.0 at the time and walked me through reflashing the old firmware. So I am very hesitant to try it again after the scare i got.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So after some more testing, I think my battery charger had a crummy connection to the battery, and when the voltage of the battery dropped, the built-in battery saver stuff worked as expected.

I need to get a better charger, but cleaning up the clips and making sure they had a tight connection directly to the battery (I know, I know, I'll blow us all up with hydrogen gas) has helped. I found some very expensive 50 and 100 amp chargers specifically for GM and Ford module programming, so it sounds like this can be an issue even at the dealership lever.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts