Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For anyone interested in a super elaborate story of how I came to be the owner of my 2017 Fusion Sport, I hope I can be of entertainment to you. For anyone else, the TLDR is that I just purchased my FFS last week, and am looking forward to installing all the mods that are already on the way.

Now onto the story... We're gonna jump back to 2014 where little ole me in high school wound up in a white 2.3L 2007 Fusion SE as my first car. As high schoolers do, I made a lot of cosmetic mods to it. I also learned a lot about cars and really solidified my interest in them working on them. On top of the cosmetic stuff I went with the Steeda intake options, performance rotors and brakes, aftermarket rims, and welded up my own dual exhaust. Ultimately it still looked and performed much like a ricer, but it was a great first car. When the 2017 fusion sport got announced, it my little ricer-fusion high-school dream car since my dad would never let me blow up my fusion with an ebay turbo kit, and I probably won't ever own a GTR. When my fusion got totaled midway through college, I definitely didn't have the funding for a brand new car, but I still think I made a considerable upgrade...

I got myself a steal on a super low-mileage 2007 SLK ( non-AMG :/ ) and got the modding bug again. I quickly knocked out the fun basics of intake and exhaust, got into lighting mods, did some electrical work, and after finishing installing just about every carbon fiber part I could find this past summer, she was finally complete from when I got her in the summer of 2019. My mom graciously donated me her old 200k mile Odyssey when I got it as well so I wouldn't wrap the SLK around a pole in the fun Ohio winters. I thought I would be set until I graduated. Then someone did this to my mom van a few weeks ago...

With the van out of the picture, I was faced with what felt like a terrible used car market for winter beaters, so I did the only reasonable thing. I sold the Benz and bought my high school dream car. And that brings us up to last week when I came home with this beauty:

I've spent a large portion of the last few days lurking on the forum, and I've already got parts on the way. Previous owner painted the bottom of the bumper black, tinted the rear windows, and installed a GFB DV+ which I swapped out for the VTA DV+ yesterday. I'll probably repaint the bumper because I like the look. Over the next couple weeks parts should have all arrived and I should be able to knock a decent portion of these out, but here's the current mods list. Stay tuned for a build thread where I inevitably learn a lot of things the hard way.

Planned Mods:
Steeda Intake, Darkstar's FMIC, JTL oil separator, Unleashed tune, bottom grill rework, CF mustang style grill, headlights and tail lights, front splitter, CF trunk lip spoiler, black roof vinyl overlay, CF interior trim, window louvers, smoked reflectors, debadging??, removing and hand painting ford badges, wrapping side mirror caps, chrome trim blackout??

I'm hoping for a clean monochromatic look. Down the road Darkstar's 3" downpipes, fender flares, and rear/side diffusers might make their way on the list. As of now that should be it. If you made it this far, thanks for reading! I'm excited to be a part of the community!

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
145 Posts
And a beauty she is ! Great story , thanks for the pics , and welcome from Texas !

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I agree with @Gregg1LE , that is a great story! Welcome to the forum, you have a beautiful FFS and I hope you really enjoy it!

It's really a great car. I didn't see what your package list was like, but if that car hasn't had a Lincoln MKZ cluster mod you might consider that as well--it's a great upgrade!

You can also look into the various ForScan mods like Lincoln Drive Control, which is pretty awesome as well. I have a bunch of those mods on my car (as well as a tune, MKZ cluster, and some other things).

Anyway welcome!

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Registered
234 Posts
I agree with @Gregg1LE , that is a great story! Welcome to the forum, you have a beautiful FFS and I hope you really enjoy it!

It's really a great car. I didn't see what your package list was like, but if that car hasn't had a Lincoln MKZ cluster mod you might consider that as well--it's a great upgrade!

You can also look into the various ForScan mods like Lincoln Drive Control, which is pretty awesome as well. I have a bunch of those mods on my car (as well as a tune, MKZ cluster, and some other things).

Anyway welcome!
Engineer, I know you always speak of your scanner but I never realized you had gotten a tune, you aiways said your 18 was stock. What tune do you have? What is lincoln drive control?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Welcome from a fellow Ohioan! My son also just bought a 2018 FuSport in white.
You’ll find that these cars, shod with quality winter tires, will plow through anything NE Ohio (and Allegheny Mountain range) winters can throw at them! Just get used to salt brine penetrating every single piece of trim and panel gaps that these cars seem to have copious amounts of - particularly the drivers side under hood area near the cowl and the trunk lid trim. I’m usually washing brine out of those spots until April! I’m in the Akron/Canton area, my home track is Dragway 42 in Salem. Hope to bump into you some time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome from a fellow Ohioan! My son also just bought a 2018 FuSport in white.
You’ll find that these cars, shod with quality winter tires, will plow through anything NE Ohio (and Allegheny Mountain range) winters can throw at them! Just get used to salt brine penetrating every single piece of trim and panel gaps that these cars seem to have copious amounts of - particularly the drivers side under hood area near the cowl and the trunk lid trim. I’m usually washing brine out of those spots until April! I’m in the Akron/Canton area, my home track is Dragway 42 in Salem. Hope to bump into you some time.
Going to be my first AWD winter experience so I was hoping for results like that. I was gonna detail it and ceramic coat to try and protect from the winter, but wasn't sure if there was anything you had tried that worked better yet? I'm currently down in Columbus, and have been to Mid-Ohio a few times, but once all the performance mods are dialed in maybe I'll catch you at a drag meet next summer.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Welcome. Thanks for taking the time to tell us your story. Go luck with the mods and enjoying a car that you've wanted for a while. The car has character and overall you won't be disappointed- especially after the upgrades are bolted in.

Reactions: Shawnski

·
Registered
705 Posts
Welcome!

Don't know what package your car has, but if you have Adaptive Cruise Control, the only FMIC upgrade that will fit, will be the Ultimate Performance.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Engineer, I know you always speak of your scanner but I never realized you had gotten a tune, you aiways said your 18 was stock. What tune do you have? What is lincoln drive control?
Hi @dtd ,

Yeah my 18 was stock until I think about 6 months ago. I got the HP Tuners system mostly because of curiosity about how things worked on the inside, and wanting to see into the car at that level. But once I understood how things worked, I started feeling confident about making changes, so now I'm running with my own set of changes to the car. It's relatively mild but definitely a much stronger car than stock, even though these cars are no slouch even stock!

The Lincoln Drive Control integrates the suspension, steering, shift points, etc to allow custom control of "Drive" and "Sport" modes. It's the IPC CCD control thing that 17s can do with ForScan basically, but 18 and higher needs the MKZ IPC to do it (or 17 firmware).

I wanted the MKZ IPC anyway so I just switched my IPC and got all of that. 🙂

·
Registered
830 Posts
I’ve never invested in ceramic coatings. Wish I had. My paint on the front clip and above the windshield is like the surface of the moon. Dings on every panel including the roof (!?!), a cracked right rear reflector from some pretentious a-hole’s baggage cart at a hotel (his Mercedes was more important than my Ford), a busted lower grille from a piece of retread carcass, scratches, swirls…it’s shameful really. There’s some Ohio boys on here that have cars that look like fine jewels, I’ll leave it to them to chime in what works in our climate.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hi @dtd ,

Yeah my 18 was stock until I think about 6 months ago. I got the HP Tuners system mostly because of curiosity about how things worked on the inside, and wanting to see into the car at that level. But once I understood how things worked, I started feeling confident about making changes, so now I'm running with my own set of changes to the car. It's relatively mild but definitely a much stronger car than stock, even though these cars are no slouch even stock!

The Lincoln Drive Control integrates the suspension, steering, shift points, etc to allow custom control of "Drive" and "Sport" modes. It's the IPC CCD control thing that 17s can do with ForScan basically, but 18 and higher needs the MKZ IPC to do it (or 17 firmware).

I wanted the MKZ IPC anyway so I just switched my IPC and got all of that. 🙂
Engineer, I am surprised you tuned it as you always were concerned with warranty and dependability issues. I am not surprised that you are doing your own tuning as you want control over what is being done. I am kind of reading about the levernois tune it looks nice but I do have some concerns about warranty issues. They have stage 2 tune that claims 93 hp gains which would put the hp over 400. Motortrend had artical about it in 2019, it was interesting.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Engineer, I am surprised you tuned it as you always were concerned with warranty and dependability issues. I am not surprised that you are doing your own tuning as you want control over what is being done. I am kind of reading about the levernois tune it looks nice but I do have some concerns about warranty issues. They have stage 2 tune that claims 93 hp gains which would put the hp over 400. Motortrend had artical about it in 2019, it was interesting.
Yeah I'm surprised too 😂. That's really not why I got the tuner, honestly; I was really just curious and wanted to see inside the powertrain and learn how it worked. But you can learn a lot looking inside a tuner, and there are a number of really sharp folks on here who helped me learn as well. So I just started thinking of improvements I'd like to make.

I'm still extremely conservative by most standards. I'm sitting right about 400 crank HP, which is really low compared to what this car is capable of. But it gets up and goes like nobody's business, so it was quite an improvement.

Interestingly (well, to me, anyway), I didn't just up the power. I actually did some things to put more restrictions on the car in some ways. For instance, I enabled the transmission abuse logic. That's not enabled from factory, but my theory is that at no time do I ever want to abuse my transmission (neutral drop, power brake, etc.). So it doesn't get in my way, but makes me feel safer about not damaging something accidentally.

I've also adjusted my paddle shifter settings to make that work better, as well. So there are a number of changes, but I'm very careful with it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
You’ll find that these cars, shod with quality winter tires, will plow through anything NE Ohio (and Allegheny Mountain range) winters can throw at them!
Emphasis added and I agree 100%. My car performs very well with snow tires.

I was in the same boat for a year and a half - wanted to get a tune but didn't want to compromise the warranty or reliability. Now I have a Livernois tune, I'm not concerned about reliability really, and uhh... let's not even discuss the warranty 🤣

·
Registered
407 Posts
Welcome!

Don't know what package your car has, but if you have Adaptive Cruise Control, the only FMIC upgrade that will fit, will be the Ultimate Performance.
The Darkstar FMIC is from UP. Darkstar was a member that works at UP and developed the FMIC for his car and then started selling them. I think he did a RMM and downpipes too.
100% correct that its the only one that fits without modifying/relocating the ACC bracket- which i believe is on the 401A but not the 400A. Hard to tell what Jacob has. He's got the sun roof but not block heater. You had more build options in the US on the 17 than what we had in Canada.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Darkstar FMIC is from UP. Darkstar was a member that works at UP and developed the FMIC for his car and then started selling them. I think he did a RMM and downpipes too.
100% correct that its the only one that fits without modifying/relocating the ACC bracket- which i believe is on the 401A but not the 400A. Hard to tell what Jacob has. He's got the sun roof but not block heater. You had more build options in the US on the 17 than what we had in Canada.
I’ve got the 401A package. I’m hoping that doesn’t mean I’ve for sure got ACC because I’d like to modify the bottom grill to keep it symmetrical without the extra work of relocating the ACC behind something else.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I’ve got the 401A package. I’m hoping that doesn’t mean I’ve for sure got ACC because I’d like to modify the bottom grill to keep it symmetrical without the extra work of relocating the ACC behind something else.
Hi Jacob,

Adaptive Cruise is a separate option in the 2017 from the 401A so you may or may not have it. Can you send us a pic of your steering wheel? We can tell you if you do that.

Most 401As probably had it, because people buying 401A tended to want it loaded, but certainly not everyone, and it's definitely a separate option in your year. So let's look at your steering wheel and find out. :)

·
Registered
830 Posts
I specifically optioned my ‘17 401A without any of the drivers convenience upgrades and without moonroof. I just wanted the big touchscreen, Sony stereo, and auto-climate. Fortunately, a year later when I joined this forum, I discovered that forgoing some of the options broadened my field of choices when it came to upgrades.

Reactions: Engineer and LeVeL

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Jacob,

Adaptive Cruise is a separate option in the 2017 from the 401A so you may or may not have it. Can you send us a pic of your steering wheel? We can tell you if you do that.

Most 401As probably had it, because people buying 401A tended to want it loaded, but certainly not everyone, and it's definitely a separate option in your year. So let's look at your steering wheel and find out. :)
If it wasn't raining I would have played a fun game of reach behind the bumper, but I looked up what the steering wheel should look like and with my resume/cancel buttons I'd imagine that means I don't have it?
View attachment 28475

I specifically optioned my ‘17 401A without any of the drivers convenience upgrades and without moonroof. I just wanted the big touchscreen, Sony stereo, and auto-climate. Fortunately, a year later when I joined this forum, I discovered that forgoing some of the options broadened my field of choices when it came to upgrades.
If you don't mind sharing or have a thread somewhere already I could look at, how are you liking your exhaust mods. I'm interested down the road in swapping out the stock setup, but after the drone issues I had straight piping my old SLK I'm a bit hesitant. I've read the downpipes will be the biggest source of performance gain there, but it still won't be a crazy improvement, I just want a nice hearty sound when I get on it or cold start.

·
Registered
830 Posts
If you don't mind sharing or have a thread somewhere already I could look at, how are you liking your exhaust mods. I'm interested down the road in swapping out the stock setup, but after the drone issues I had straight piping my old SLK I'm a bit hesitant. I've read the downpipes will be the biggest source of performance gain there, but it still won't be a crazy improvement, I just want a nice hearty sound when I get on it or cold start.
Of course the sound people like or want is subjective, so take my opinion for what it’s worth here…I’ve got UP 3” catted DPs, 3” to 2.5” short collectors, MagnaFlow 2.5” in/2.5” out resonated cross-pipe to dual individual Moroso Spiral-flow resonators to 2.5” dual pipes to dual individual 2.5” in/3” out Walker turbo mufflers each with dual 3” tips.

The DPs went on a year before the exhaust, and from outside the car, standing by the mirrors, they could be heard as a slight rumble in the engine sound. But I really hated the vacuum cleaner exhaust “wheeeeee” noise my car made at full throttle. I couldn’t hear it inside but every video of me at the track someone could be heard in the background saying “is that Ford making that noise?” Now it’s much more of an throaty engine sound but IMO no Ford V6 (especially an EB) ever sounds as good as say a BMW, Audi, or Nissan six.

The whole project was done by experimentation. I fought a hard fight to control the resonance and vibration and was partially successful. The Morosos were an after-mod and killed the drone. I truly believe it would take a vibration dampener welded into the right point of the pipes to solve the way it makes the car buzz inside, particularly what is felt through the center console which is directly above where the resonators reside in the underbody tunnel. Bottom line: it looks great. It’s louder without being obnoxious. I think it’s far better than Borla and MagnaFlow axle-backs. It’s 50/50 depending on who you ask if it sounds “good”, but 98% say it’s better than stock. My wife and girlfriend both say it’s “too noisy” because I pretend I can’t hear them now while I’m driving.

Attachments

Reactions: Jacob McCutcheon

·
Registered
2019 > 2018 > 2017 :)
259 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts